Page 1 of 2
Can we get a thread going for discussing classical music? Not just Classical but also baroque, romantic, modern, and even renaissance if you so feel. Tell us your favorite composers, pieces or any experiences you have that you want to share. Talk about what instruments you play or your favorite piece to play and why.

Orch Dork or band Geek?

etc.

let's try to make this work.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Tchaikovsky for the win! I just saw the Kirov orchestra play his 2nd and 5th symphonies. Both incredible (the 2nd movement of the 5th is mind blowing).
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Not an expert at all on the topic, more of a rookie.
Nonetheless, I dig:
-Beethoven's 5th piano concerto by alfred brendel
-Beethoven's 5th symphony (dun dun dun duuuunnn)
-Chopin's Preludes
-A lot of Mozart.
-And the radetzky march

edit: btw, wasnt there already a classical thread?
Don't we have a classical forum?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
His stuff is very modern, but I really like Frank Ticheli's symphonic pieces. When I was in high school, our band played at least one of his works every year. Mozart's my favorite classical composer hands down, though. Stravinksy's stuff is really awesome, too. I'm thinking he's modern, too, but I'm not sure. I really like The Rite of Spring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGFRwKQqbk4
▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■▀■
I like bits from every composer I've heard really.
Tchaikovsky
Beethoven
Bach
Grieg

Would be the ones I listen to the most though.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Zoot Allures
John Cage is a badass.

Beethoven was a badass. He treated everyone like shit. John Cage is just an old hipster.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Zoot Allures
Treating everyone like shit isn't being a badass.

It is when you back it up with awesome music and cool hair.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan

His music is lacking badass riffs therefore there is a severe lack of badassery. Unlike this kind of thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Fo1snJqGI&feature=related
The ones I like that I can think of for now are Mozart, Paganini, Vivaldi, Chopin (haters gonna hate), a little Pachabel, a little Beethoven, John Cage (pretty much the only Contemporary composer I like), Giuliani, and of course neoclassical musicians such as Becker, Gilbert and Friedman.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

Please excuse my proper spelling and grammar, English is one of my first languages.
Swan Lake, considered as a whole, is probably my favourite piece of music. Ever.

Otherwise I'm into the regulars. Bach, Mozart, Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Chopin, Shubert, Haydn, Chopin, etc.

But I kinda dislike Beethoven, actually.
MATTERHORN
Last edited by Doctor Matthews at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by vagelier
btw, wasnt there already a classical forum?

fixed, and yes.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by WhiskeyFace
You like Chopin twice and don't even like Beethoven? Pffft!!

Oh man I'm tired – I didn't realize I typed Chopin twice.

But really, I find the majority of Beethoven quite boring. All I really like of his work is his 6th. Some of his other stuff is okay, but it still puts me to sleep.
Anybody care to change my mind through examples?
MATTERHORN
Quote by Zoot Allures
John Cage is a badass.

Agreed. ironically, I used to fall asleep to this piece by him every night for about a month.
Marin Marais

Excellent violist (viole being a predecessor to the cello) and really prolific composer. Stuff like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nlq69pmADo

If anyone gets to see the movie "Tous les Matins du Monde", it is really good, tells you a bit about him, really quite interesting.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Im sorry if i did something verboten by creating a new classical thread, but people seem to be liking it i guess.

Currently i'm feeling vodnik by dvorak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtoCUsDCRuk and the saint-saens organ symphony http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d0itDEs9uo

also as a bassoonist i am obligated to like the mozart Bb concerto, the weber concerto in F and the saint-saens sonate in G.

I respect cage but am not really a fan.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Quote by StewieSwan

Beethoven wasn't so great. he never got his picture on bubblegum cards, did he? have you ever seen his picture on a bubblegum card? hmmm? how can you say someone is great who's never had his picture on bubblegum cards?

my teacher played the first few minutes of The Right of Spring today before class. needless to say, i was disappointed when he turned it off, but then again the bassoon solo at the beginning is my favorite part anyway.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Beethoven wasn't so great. he never got his picture on bubblegum cards, did he? have you ever seen his picture on a bubblegum card? hmmm? how can you say someone is great who's never had his picture on bubblegum cards?

That made my night.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
The best concert (including Rock concerts and shit) that I've ever seen in my life was the Houston Symphony playing Maurice Ravel's "Daphnis And Chloe." I almost wanted to cry at the ending.
Page 1 of 2