As the title says. I want a telecaster and I want it to look/play like the Hohner Madcat.. the one Prince uses.

http://www.madcat.ch/ go to specs if you don't know it.

So it's going to be a really nice funky telecaster. I like good material and I'm very keen on what sounds I like and do not like. Now my question is; I asked around what it would cost really to build the guitar from the wood, so everything has to be made and sawed for me. Even the body and the neck. Though.. this will cost some SERIOUS money that I will not be able to spend for quite a while. Now I'm looking into buying the guitar parts from the internet(and by that I mean everything, body, neck, wires, pick ups..) and then have it put together and put a cool paintjob on it. My question being; is it worth it to invest in lose parts and then have it built by a good guitar tech, or would it be much wiser to buy a decent fender and just invest in the pick ups/paint job.

Hope someone can help me
Gear:

Fender American Strat, texas specials
Fender Tele Baja
VOX AC15
Ibanez Analog Delay
Boss Keeley Blues Driver
Katana boost
Dunlop Wah
And do you have any idea about the costs?

EDIT; and would that price be fair, comparing it to a fender?
Gear:

Fender American Strat, texas specials
Fender Tele Baja
VOX AC15
Ibanez Analog Delay
Boss Keeley Blues Driver
Katana boost
Dunlop Wah
Last edited by BvH001 at Oct 26, 2011,
http://www.warmoth.com/

Here the site.
Im not sure, I dont believe paying a lot for a guitar either way but every single person ive ever seen that has built a guitar with warmoth body and necks has said that it was better than buying factory made guitars.
Buying the parts is sweet if you're gona put it together yourself. buying all the parts then having someone else do it doesnt seem like much fun.
You should be fine using some stuff off ebay just buy from a good source. Warmoth is way over priced.
I say split the difference. Get the body made by Warmoth. They can give you the fancy things like flame maple tops and unusual bridge routings. For the neck, buy a Fender one from eBay. Lots of people sell Fender guitars in parts on eBay because you can sometimes get more money by selling each piece by itself than as a whole guitar. There's one particular seller, reliablefender I think it is, who do nothing but buy in Fender guitars and ell them off piece-by-piece. It's no good if you want custom specs of course but if you just want a really nice playing neck then grab a MIA Standard Tele neck from them.

And put it all together yourself. It makes the guitar more personal but more importantly it will save you a big chunk of money. Techs will always charge you a stupid amount for bolting a body and neck together. If you've got a drill and a soldering iron and half a working brain then you can put together a 'partscaster' as they're known.
Handmade and parts made are two different things. I have a handmade guitar by a luthier. It's a no frills model and cost me $899. No much to look at but for a one piece body and one piece neck the tone is terrific.

I decided I want to refinish the body by staining and shellacking then changed the pups. Had to use the rings as the pups won't direct mount.

Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
You are aware that Hohner made a model called The Prinz right?

Prince's Tele was a Hohner to start with.
Got it:
Pacifica 604w, Hohner G3T, PRS SE Soapbar I, Schecter Ultra I
Fender 'evil' Twin, Marshall 2554 combo
Quote by OldRocker
Handmade and parts made are two different things. I have a handmade guitar by a luthier. It's a no frills model and cost me $899. No much to look at but for a one piece body and one piece neck the tone is terrific.

I decided I want to refinish the body by staining and shellacking then changed the pups. Had to use the rings as the pups won't direct mount.

I hate that body style. I bet it plays nice though.
It plays well, light and comfortable. I don't think that's a bad style, it fits well.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+