here is my goal

this is over simplified, i will hook up with a battery and all per EMG's wiring.

i want each pickup to a switch and only a switch (no pots at all), i am assuming and how if have it now, is i ran a 22k resistor, but the output isn't quite right. i dont have any nor could find any 25k resistors, so i figured i would go a little bit darker.

please dont respond with "you want a volume control in there" because i don't. two switches.

but this is what is confusing me, if i switched both pickups to the on position wouldn't there be a problem with the output going both ways (up and down) a pickup, so i am think i would need some thing, maybe a diode?

okay in a nutshell.

two pickups individually switched on/off with two switches and an output jack. the pickups are EMG 81's and this is going into a gibson SG tuned to C# standard, or drop B.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You're overthinking this setup, first off you don't need a resistor in this circuit. If you did it would sound as if the "tone knob" was always at zero. And you also don't need a diode either, I'm not sure how that would benefit in guitar wiring anyways. Remember that guitar wiring is often laughed at from the electronics world, it's very archaic and basic to say the least.

Have the "ground" from each pickup running the ground of your stereo jack, each lead going to it's respective switch, then both switches soldered to the hot side of your jack. Then run power to your pickups. It should work just fine.

EDIT: I'm not a wiring guru by any measure, so I could be wrong about this. Though my solution makes sense to me and is the first thing I would given your criteria.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by Flux'D
You're overthinking this setup, first off you don't need a resistor in this circuit. If you did it would sound as if the "tone knob" was always at zero. And you also don't need a diode either, I'm not sure how that would benefit in guitar wiring anyways. Remember that guitar wiring is often laughed at from the electronics world, it's very archaic and basic to say the least.

Have the "ground" from each pickup running the ground of your stereo jack, each lead going to it's respective switch, then both switches soldered to the hot side of your jack. Then run power to your pickups. It should work just fine.

EDIT: I'm not a wiring guru by any measure, so I could be wrong about this. Though my solution makes sense to me and is the first thing I would given your criteria.

i have it wired up with the 27k right now. it would not work witout any resistance because the EMG's preamp probably wasn't able to work that way.i tried it straight into switch and jack.

and my point about the wires would be parallel to the jack, and i am think that having both on may mess up the circuit because one pickup could potentially bleed up to the other. i am not sure on this though.

the only point about the diode is that the current from one pickup would be restricted to forward only.

for some reason something so simple is confusing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Oct 26, 2011,

wire it like this i cannot see why it wouldn't work. as for having both switches on at the same time all that is going to do is blend the signal into one its the same as having the switch in the middle position on a 3 way switched guitar. also having a diode in there will act as a halfwave rectifier on one of the pickup signals so you would need to have two diodes wired in parallel for a full wave.
Quote by tobuei

wire it like this i cannot see why it wouldn't work. as for having both switches on at the same time all that is going to do is blend the signal into one its the same as having the switch in the middle position on a 3 way switched guitar. also having a diode in there will act as a halfwave rectifier on one of the pickup signals so you would need to have two diodes wired in parallel for a full wave.

thanks i will get it up and running in the next day or so.

are you sure i dont need a resistor? because it didn't seem to work without one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I am not 100% sure of it but i cannot see why it wouldn't work.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Are you sure you don't have the tip and ring backwards, tobuei?

hmm it seems right the way i look at it, that being that the tip of the jack reaches further in and makes contact with the tip part of the stereo socket the schematic symbol doesn't portray exactly how the physical jack looks it just tells where which wire goes