I am going to be getting an 8 string sometime soon, but want to have more option than my peavey 6505+ offers. Anyone got a suggestion for an epic sounding clean tone tube amp? I am not opposed to anything that can keep up with my 6505+ and orange 2x12...

Now a second question... My orange 2x12 has two 1/4 plugs in the back... Would I plug this second amp into the unused plug? Whats the best way to switch between two amps?

So no matter what i would like something to better suit clean tone... but able to handle both my 6's and my new 8 string...

THanks for the help!
any amp can really handle the cleans of an 8.

it's the distortion tones that get hard.

twin reverb?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by xtreme1
Now a second question... My orange 2x12 has two 1/4 plugs in the back... Would I plug this second amp into the unused plug? Whats the best way to switch between two amps?

Get yourself an A/B box for that. Even if you don't want to buy one, they're quite simple to build. The second plug is more than likely for running the cab in stereo (EDIT - Like some one else said, it could also be for another cab. It differs from cab to cab). So you'd need a microphone in front of each speaker, as one head would come through the right speaker, and the other the left, which is a little inconvinient, not to mention probably not recommended for some reason or another. There's no reason it wouldn't work, theoretically, but usually for guitars, they're just run in mono, not to mention what electronic problems it might cause. If it is do-able, maybe even a simple 2-into-1 adapter would mean it could run in mono though.

As for the tone, like the other person said. Most can handle the cleans, it's the distorted tones that are usually harder. Also, including what kind of budget you have in the post helps a lot too.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Oct 27, 2011,
like everyone else said, its not the cleans that you worry about. its the distortion that runs the risk of turning into a mud fest
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Carl6661
Get yourself an A/B box for that. Even if you don't want to buy one, they're quite simple to build. The second plug is more than likely for running the cab in stereo. So you'd need a microphone in front of each speaker, as one head would come through the right speaker, and the other the left, which is a little inconvinient. Assuming you are mic'ing your amps live, that is. There's no reason it wouldn't work, but usually for guitars, they're just run in mono. Maybe even a simple 2-into-1 adapter would mean it could run in mono though.

As for the tone, like the other person said. Most can handle the cleans, it's the distorted tones that are usually harder. Also, including what kind of budget you have in the post helps a lot too.

i assumed people would understand that money was no object.... jk i gotta keep it under a grand no matter, and waaaaay lower if possible... just want something solid that will last...
EDIT: just looke at the prices for a twin reverb and I noticed they are around 1200...
but they also come as just combos? since I already have a great cab wouldnt it be best to just use a amp head with great cleans?

And oh crap... forgot to mention a pretty critical piece of info... im using a ps-45 pedalboard... so it has a built in left and right amp ports in it... but how would i go about switching from one amp to another entirely while keeping effects available for both?
Last edited by xtreme1 at Oct 26, 2011,
Pretty sure that cab is mono, so that second plug is for running into a second cab.

If the cleans in your 6505 are good enough for your 6 they should be fine for your 8. Test it out before worrying about it is probably a good idea lol.

Alternatively, if you sold the 6505 and used the extra grand there's a whole list of awesome amps you could afford.
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
the other plug on the orange 2x12, im 90% sure is an output to aother cab.

buy something like a Roland jazz chrous or a twin reverb, depending on what you like. and combos will probably be easier, or else youll need to buy a loadbox/headswitcher so you can switch 2 heads into 1 cab.
^^^^ This running two head into one cab without getting into a complex switching system is a way to start fires and ruin gear.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Hiwatt DR103. Quite possibly the best cleans on the planet.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
and a mere 3k what a steal! well since i am no pro i think I will look into other clean amps like the combos you mentioned... and no way am i selling the 6505! love it! just wanted something cleaner too