I have a really deep voice, I can hit from a F1 - A3, comfortably. Yeah I can barely hit
middle C. I know that most rock/metal vocalists are either baritone or tenor range, but would my really deep range sound odd? Are there any rock/metal vocalist that have a range nearly as deep as me?
Not sure and don't care but that's not the point. If you can sing and well regardless of vocal range you can probably make yourself sound decent if not good in any musical setting. If you can't find a rock song that sounds good with your voice then write your own. Go for it. People who pioneer are the ones that are remembered my friend.
This space has been intentionally left blank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5rh969E9oA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLFVfOCSWgw

Yes, low vocal ranges are cool. If you can sing well, go for it. Your low voice will make you sound interesting.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
johnny cash, the singer from the 69 eyes and till from rammstein all have pretty deep voices. maybe not as deep as you, but deeper than most. i personally think deeper pitched vocals add a sort of pleasant difference to a song compared to the usual rock song
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
You can hit as low as F1? And comfortably too...?

I had to play it again to make sure my earbuds had actually made a sound. That proved to be a mistake, as a humpback whale promptly crashed through the wall, and screamed, "OH, YEAH". At least, I think that's what it said, it just sounded like "bruaaAAAAAHHHHHHHHUGGHHHHHHH BROOOooooOOOLOOOUugH" to me.

But seriously, that is some low-ass shit. The lowest I can go is about two octaves above that. Also, Type O Negative.
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
You can hit as low as F1? And comfortably too...?

Yep. I'm 17 and my voice has been abnormally deep since I was about 11 or 12, I don't know why. If I can remember clearly, I think I remember hitting a C#1 a year or two ago.
Quote by Baldorr
Not sure and don't care but that's not the point. If you can sing and well regardless of vocal range you can probably make yourself sound decent if not good in any musical setting. If you can't find a rock song that sounds good with your voice then write your own. Go for it. People who pioneer are the ones that are remembered my friend.

Thanks for the inspiration man.
Quote by xSulli
Yep. I'm 17 and my voice has been abnormally deep since I was about 11 or 12, I don't know why. If I can remember clearly, I think I remember hitting a C#1 a year or two ago.

And I was happy barely hitting D2s.

Rammstein is the only example I can think of. Till goes down to like a C2 though, that's nothing compared to you Go for it, your abnormally low range will make your voice unique
Professional lurker since 2009.
That's an exceptional range. I imagine there'd be quite a demand for that sort of range in the realm of more traditional vocal music. Whether it would sound good in rock, well give it a try and find out.
Your bassist will thank you, I'm sure.

It'll be fine - unique gets by really well in the rock world. If all else fails, find someone who can sing in a higher range to bring it up for wild harmonies.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
If all else fails, find someone who can sing in a higher range to bring it up for wild harmonies.

For a great example of that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B0ztHiREUs (they both start singing around 50 seconds in if you want to skip)
Quote by xSulli
I have a really deep voice, I can hit from a F1 - A3, comfortably. Yeah I can barely hit
middle C. I know that most rock/metal vocalists are either baritone or tenor range, but would my really deep range sound odd? Are there any rock/metal vocalist that have a range nearly as deep as me?

Nope, you're screwed. Forget about singing rock or metal.

JK

but seriously. Don't defeat yourself with that kind of mindset. if you want sing, sing. Fitting a stereotype isn't a qualification.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
That's an exceptional range. I imagine there'd be quite a demand for that sort of range in the realm of more traditional vocal music.

Oh, also this. It would be useful in choral music, either in solo parts or to double the bass singers' part one octave below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktavist
Professional lurker since 2009.
If I recall correctly, one of the reasons Type O Negative were tuned down in B was so that Peter's voice didn't sit too out of place.

Anyway, music is an art, there are no rules telling you what you can and can't do. If I were you, I'd find a backup singer who has a regular range and you guys can go back and forth on vocal duties.

With a voice so low, what is your falsetto like? Regular range?