My uncle has a 1975 P-Bass with an ash body that he let me borrow for a few months.. The thing weighs around 15 lbs on a scale but feels like 20 on a strap. My question is were all of the mid-70s P-basses that heavy? Oddly, I kinda like the weight of them, they have a great sound.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Cant say for P-basses in particular, or even basses, but back in the day just about all guitars and basses were made out of really heavy hardwoods like Mahogany. A friend of mine has a Les Paul style guild guitar and the only difference between them is the wood. Mine is Maple and his is Mahogany. His weighs almost twice as much and Les Pauls are never a light guitar.

So that could be it.
Quote by guy_tebache
Cant say for P-basses in particular, or even basses, but back in the day just about all guitars and basses were made out of really heavy hardwoods like Mahogany. A friend of mine has a Les Paul style guild guitar and the only difference between them is the wood. Mine is Maple and his is Mahogany. His weighs almost twice as much and Les Pauls are never a light guitar.

So that could be it.

your friend is tight, those old Guilds are sweet.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by ThrashMetal014
My uncle has a 1975 P-Bass with an ash body that he let me borrow for a few months.. The thing weighs around 15 lbs on a scale but feels like 20 on a strap. My question is were all of the mid-70s P-basses that heavy? Oddly, I kinda like the weight of them, they have a great sound.

Fender has turned out Precisions in ash at one time or another, the more usual and traditional body wood being alder. Ash is generally a heavier wood, so if you have an ash P bass, you can almost guarantee it will be heavier then the usual alder P.

Not all Precisions from the 70's will be that heavy. Even certain pieces of wood can be heavier or lighter then other pieces of wood from the same species. So you could have another ash P that's lighter or heavier. A comparable Precision made of alder would almost certainly be lighter.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Oct 26, 2011,
Yea ash is heavy, and I think QC of the 70's led to some heavy thick bodies. Billy Corgan is known for purposely buying heavy 70's ash strats, he likes the sound, and I'm sure they were cheap when he liked it.
^ My Lakland P was ash and I couldn't call it heavy, but yes 70's Fenders have a reputation for being heavy as shit.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Yeah, this bass was so heavy I considered putting casters on its case so I didn't have to lug it around at gigs. haha. But thanks for the info.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I have a 70s Jazz Bass which is very heavy. I have no idea what it's made of, but it has to be about 15lbs too. Bought it to learn on, but ended up getting a lighter one to learn on instead a few of months later. Kept the Jazz Bass of course and soon the lighter Bass will be off to help someone else learn.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Last edited by GAPendragon at Oct 29, 2011,
IIRC the Fender Steve Harris Precision is a copy of a 70's era Precision.

EDIT:That was the heaviest Fender that I have ever played.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!