I have some questions about warmoth, but no experience.

How do their strats compare with american made fenders?

Also, I don't have the tools to put it together at my house. Also, even if I did, I'd be afraid I'd mess it up. So I have a few questions.

Can you buy it and have them assemble it there? Do guitar techs at guitar center or reputable dealers get mad if you give them the parts to put together?

If it is simple screw down assembly, how do you make sure the neck is straight with the pickups and bridge? (are those types of things hard to mess up with the holes pre drilled?)

Would it be easy to strip the wood with the screws?

I'd rather get a back routed guitar with flame maple top (that way you'd get more of the artistic value)- and I never really see the point of the pickguard as a protection, Just as something to hold the electronics.

I want to get a blue flame maple top strat, alder contour body. A neck (most likely a maple fingerboard for aesthetics) Don't really know what to make the back of the neck, but it will have a satin finish. Dunlop 6105 frets- jumbo height medium width for bending. 22 Frets

I just basically want to make a guitar that can shred, but be used for awesome cleans and plays like a John Mayer signature.

The only problem with the JM sig is that it's 21 frets. I might buy the elctronics for the JM later because the big dipper pick ups are the best, but I'm thinking of buying Suhr pickups because there is almost no hum at all on those.

Anyways. I want to know if the Warmoth would compare, and how hard it would be to either put it together myself or get someone to do it for me. I'd already have to get someone to solder the electronics and install them.

Even though divebombing and whammy skill that vai and satriani use are appealing, I think that maybe the fender trem will be the best, most stable.

Any help is appreciated.
Warmoth build to order parts are basically the same as American Fender parts but obviously you get all the custom options. Their already-made 'showcase' necks are also MIA quality. Their showcase bodies are more like MIM though, apparently showcase bodies which already have a solid finish are often 5-piece bodies. Clear finished bodies are 3-piece or 2-piece. Bodies made to order are always 2-piece if it has no veneer or 3-piece if they have a veneer top.

No, Warmoth do not assemble guitars for you. Officially they only make replacement parts, they do not make guitars.

How complex a build is depends on what you order. Necks will always require drilling for the screws that hold tuners in place. Bodies rquire drilling for pickguards or rear cover plates as well as jack plates, pickup mounting rings and so on. Obviously electrical stuff all needs to be soldered in. If you order a trem bridge then you'll have to install the studs or you can pay warmoth $10 to do this for you. You'll still need to drill the holes to mount the trem claw and springs.

Most techs or luthiers should be able to put everything together for you but they'll charge you for your time and that becomes very expensive. If you order a lot of custom stuff the cost of that plus a tech's time and end up costing almost as much as it would cost just to have the fender custom shop make the guitar for you and no matter what the warmoth fanboys say the fender custom shop IS better quality than warmoth.

Warmoth isn't really for people who don't know what they're doing, I'm afraid.
Quote by grohl1987
Warmoth build to order parts are basically the same as American Fender parts but obviously you get all the custom options. Their already-made 'showcase' necks are also MIA quality. Their showcase bodies are more like MIM though, apparently showcase bodies which already have a solid finish are often 5-piece bodies. Clear finished bodies are 3-piece or 2-piece. Bodies made to order are always 2-piece if it has no veneer or 3-piece if they have a veneer top.

No, Warmoth do not assemble guitars for you. Officially they only make replacement parts, they do not make guitars.

How complex a build is depends on what you order. Necks will always require drilling for the screws that hold tuners in place. Bodies rquire drilling for pickguards or rear cover plates as well as jack plates, pickup mounting rings and so on. Obviously electrical stuff all needs to be soldered in. If you order a trem bridge then you'll have to install the studs or you can pay warmoth $10 to do this for you. You'll still need to drill the holes to mount the trem claw and springs.

Most techs or luthiers should be able to put everything together for you but they'll charge you for your time and that becomes very expensive. If you order a lot of custom stuff the cost of that plus a tech's time and end up costing almost as much as it would cost just to have the fender custom shop make the guitar for you and no matter what the warmoth fanboys say the fender custom shop IS better quality than warmoth.

Warmoth isn't really for people who don't know what they're doing, I'm afraid.

Thanks. I have a friend that can do this stuff for free, but he isn't a luthier by any means so I wouldn't trust him with a qualit instrument. If the bodies aren't up to american standards, then I guess I'll just save for the custom shop
The bodies ARE up to American standards. Just so long as you're having one built to order. It's only when you buy one off the showcase that they start to dip in quality a little. Same wood quality and same construction quality, you're just getting a 5-piece body instead of 2-piece.

But nothing beats a proper custom shop, is the point. So it's take your pick. Warmoth is up to Fender Americna Standard quality. They are not up to Fender Custom Shop quality. But that is why the Fender Custom Shop costs what it does.
i didn't go warmoth but i had a luthier in oregon build me a neck and body. beautiful guitar. assembly is not that difficult if you are careful. its one of those "measure 3 or 4 times, cut/drill once" if you are patient and really play close attention to detail it should come out great.

why not carvin? they seem to do what you are looking for moreso, and will assemble, and have a cult following on every forum i frequent.

check out carvin.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Warmoth stuff is top quality MIA parts. That stuff about showcase bodies being different than made to order stuff is pure BS. They won't build it for you and you have to have a decent working knowledge of total setups, wiring and be quite handy to build one. They do drill for neck screws, but pretty much everything else is on you. I have built one Warmoth and was totally estatic with the experience. Definitely will do more eventually. Also the only way a Fender style trem, especially a vintage type is going to be as stable as a Floyd is if you don't float it.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Oct 27, 2011,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i didn't go warmoth but i had a luthier in oregon build me a neck and body. beautiful guitar. assembly is not that difficult if you are careful. its one of those "measure 3 or 4 times, cut/drill once" if you are patient and really play close attention to detail it should come out great.

why not carvin? they seem to do what you are looking for moreso, and will assemble, and have a cult following on every forum i frequent.

check out carvin.

same reason why I don't go to another custom shop. Warmoth is just cheaper for what I want minus the fact that I have to put it together
Quote by yellowv
Warmoth stuff is top quality MIA parts. That stuff about showcase bodies being different than made to order stuff is pure BS. They won't build it for you and you have to have a decent working knowledge of total setups, wiring and be quite handy to build one. They do drill for neck screws, but pretty much everything else is on you. I have built one Warmoth and was totally estatic with the experience. Definitely will do more eventually. Also the only way a Fender style trem, especially a vintage type is going to be as stable as a Floyd is if you don't float it.

sorry for the double post, but also

I wouldn't float it anyways. I don't need to do the pull ups. I don't even need to divebomb, but I was checking out a body (on the showcase) that had an angled cavity for floyd rose that was not recessed. Looked pretty cool to me.

I just don't get the whole, showcase is worse part as well.
Quote by kai29
same reason why I don't go to another custom shop. Warmoth is just cheaper for what I want minus the fact that I have to put it together

why did you say you wounld't go to any other custom shop?

i dont know what all you are looking for, but Carvin is pretty reasonable, and great guitars with good QC. i haven't seen a poorly constructed one yet.

if you buy warmoth you still need pickups/wiring/tuners/bridge,etc you may need to do the finshing (i dont remember).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
why did you say you wounld't go to any other custom shop?

i dont know what all you are looking for, but Carvin is pretty reasonable, and great guitars with good QC. i haven't seen a poorly constructed one yet.

if you buy warmoth you still need pickups/wiring/tuners/bridge,etc you may need to do the finshing (i dont remember).

While I admit carvin is cheaper than most custom shops, they are still expensive. I've been through their builders and my build comes out at around 1250 at cheapest.

For a warmoth build, I'm accounting at about 850 minus some extra costs, but it will come out at under a grand after all is said and done. I like carvin, but they don't have all the options I'd like. One being the 6105 fretwire. The closest they get it shorter and wider. It's better for my shredding type playing, but I can get all my personal option with warmoth. I've looked into carvin a lot in the past though.
Don't think Warmoth is cheap. I spent at least a grand building a pretty simple single pickup superstrat. That was for pieces. I put a bunch of hours into assembly, neck finishing, wiring, setup, etc. If you did have to pay someone to do any of that your in Carvin Bolt on territory for sure or more.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
That stuff about showcase bodies being different than made to order stuff is pure BS.
Sorry but it is. Warmoth employees confirmed it on the unofficial warmoth forums. Showcase bodies that are getting a solid finish are usually 5-piece bodies, like MIM Fenders are. Obviously they're more careful with clear finished bodies but even those are usually 3-piece on the showcase. Built to order parts are always 2 piece or 3 piece depending if it has a veneer top or not.