Quote by Fox 25 Boston
A representative for iconic music store Daddy's Junky Music says that all the stores will close down as of 8pm on Wednesday night.

The New Hampshire-based store sold new and used musical equipment.

It's unclear why the store is closing down.

Sad day, indeed. I've bought almost all my gear from this chain. All my guitars, all my amps... I'm just kind of saddened because I was in there four days ago and there was no indication of anything.

Thoughts?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Oct 26, 2011,
Quote by oneblackened
Sad day, indeed. I've bought almost all my gear from this chain. All my guitars, all my amps... I'm just kind of saddened because I was in there four days ago and there was no indication of anything.

Thoughts?

On the bright side, be happy you didn't order an expensive amp with your credit card when you were there.

Otherwise, yeah, that sux.
shit dude, that sucks, totally out of the blue too. Never bought anything substantial there but always enjoyed browsing the used gear
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer (Lucy)
Jay Turser Les Paul
1986 B.C. Rich Mockingbird N.J. Series w/Kahler Flyer Trem
Squier Strat
Washburn Lyon Acoustic
Charvel Bass
Fender Frontman 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
I've never heard of them (being from NY) but I feel for you cats. There's something about music stores thats just different than other stores so it must be a real bummer to hear that they're closing down.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
I feel you man. There was a really cool record store in Tampa that closed last year. it was one of those record/music stores that has been around forever. I went to see them before they closed. it was sad, same with the music instument stores that you know and love. So much more heart and soul than the big box places. it suchs when they go.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
you know, i went to the closest one a few weeks back with my dad. we got there, but the whole store was gone. it was weird, man. that would explain it, i guess.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Never heard of them. Websites are the used sales killer. There's also the other huge chain stores like GC, MF, Sam Ash, Sweetwater, etc...
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
They went bankrupt.

The only store around me.. Gone.

Oh damn that sucks
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Oh damn that sucks

There's a place called the Manchester Music Mill (NH) but it's nothing like Daddy's. It's kinda crappy (Not that Daddys was the best, but it seriously got better over the past 2 or so years.)

Guitar Center is like a 45 minute drive away and my car isn't worthy of passing inspection.. So..
clearly they were junkies and sold their store for drugs

for real though, that sucks man.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by TheAbsentOne
There's a place called the Manchester Music Mill (NH) but it's nothing like Daddy's. It's kinda crappy (Not that Daddys was the best, but it seriously got better over the past 2 or so years.)

Guitar Center is like a 45 minute drive away and my car isn't worthy of passing inspection.. So..

I live in the burbs outside of Boston (Arlington) so luckily I have Carlino Guitars in Medford and GC in Boston (mehhhh), and The Music Emporium.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
It sucks to see smaller chains go under, Guitar Center is awesome and all but I try not to go there to actually buy stuff. Just like Wal-Mart. Only more awesome.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Weaponized
I'm in Arizona and what is this

New England/Upstate NY chain of music stores went out of business today. Was around for almost 40 years.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
New England/Upstate NY chain of music stores went out of business today. Was around for almost 40 years.

And it was better than Guitar Center.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
And it was better than Guitar Center.

Arguable. I went there to try to find a left handed acoustic guitar and of the four they had they all played and felt really cheap.
Never heard of it.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
I am going to miss them a lot! Daddy's was a local chain mostly in New England, they did have one store in NY, Albany I think.

I did most of my business with them thru their Peabody, Ma. store. I never spent less than 3 hours there. It was a great place to hang out and talk to other musicians and the staff.

Daddy's was great, been around for almost 40 years even though it was a small chain they really had the feel of a Mom and Pop store. They had the best deals around on used and used equipment. I have bought dozens of guitars from them lots of euqipment like amps etc over the years. I know the owners son he worked in the store I frequented it's a shame they had to close basically a family business they were better on pricing and a much friendlier staff than most Guitar Centers.

Daddy's
John

“A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion”
Heard about this, its sad. I bought almost all my gear from them. Guitars, V-Drums, pedals, straps, everything. The guys at the one in Manchester NH never seemed to know quite what they were talking about, which sucked when I was just starting out and I didn't either, but they always had good deals. One time I played Daddy's and GC against each other for a better deal on something. Daddy's ended up dropping the price by almost $300 because they wanted to beat Guitar Center so badly. Good times, they'll be missed. I hate buying shit from GC, they suck, and I have to go all the way to Nashua just to get there.

Quote by TheAbsentOne
Manchester Music Mill

This place is actually pretty decent. They don't have the best selection though, because they rely almost exclusively on selling used gear.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at Oct 28, 2011,
The Daddy's across from my college never impressed me, to be honest. Still losing a convenient place to pick up a stand or tuner is annoying.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
I perused their used section online quite a few time. 'Tis a shame.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!