Out of curiosity, what sort of stuff are you guys/girls working on?
Might give others some suggestions and help keep you motivated if you post regularly as a sort of journal to let us know how you're progressing.

Currently, I'm working on paradiddles between my hands and feet while keeping a quarter note pulse with my other hand. Alternating which hand and foot I'm using every two bars or so.

As well as a pretty sweet fill I found on youtube, sticking is RLLR LRRL RLL B.

And as always, working on basic double kick speed/endurance. Sitting on 16th notes at 180bpm.
Sounds good to me.

At the moment I've been thinking about what I want to learn, what I'd like to learn and then narrow it down to what suits my style of playing and what I'd actually use.

So I'm building up single stroke speed, working on double strokes and paradiddles with my hands.
Just got my new demon drive double pedals so I'm working on getting my left foot as good as my right. Single and double stroke speed/endurance.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
i'm working on biffy clyro-like drumming for my new band. fairly simple
Learning The Pot and Vicarious by Tool, for my new band. Lots of fun stuff in there =)
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
Quote by Niiko

Just got my new demon drive double pedals so I'm working on getting my left foot as good as my right. Single and double stroke speed/endurance.

How are the demon drives? I got the trick dominators not too long ago, they go pretty well.

Just put the finishing touches on Blood of the Scribe by Lamb of God, now performance ready in November for a school drum night I'm involved in.
Last song I learned was Tsume Tsume Tsume by Maximum the Hormone. It only took me a couple hours to get it down. I'm also working on jazz grooves, because that's one playing style I've never really tried.
Quote by Knifehorse
How are the demon drives? I got the trick dominators not too long ago, they go pretty well.

Just put the finishing touches on Blood of the Scribe by Lamb of God, now performance ready in November for a school drum night I'm involved in.
Demon Drives are freaking terrific, I have a pair of Trick Pro 1-Vs myself, though. Probably would have gotten the Dominators but I don't like longboard pedals and the 1-Vs are just too sick.

As for me I'm focusing pretty much exclusively on leading with the left hand right now, as far as hands go anyway, other than double bass and blasting, which I always do. Stuff like playing along to Back in Black by AC/DC and doing most things in life as a lefty instead of a righty, and exercises from Open Handed Playing by Dom Famularo.
Been doing that a bit myself as well actually, trying to build up my ambidexterity. I'd like to get to the level of Alex Rudinger, but I know that I'll never be able to match Travis Orbin. Not even in my dreams.
Quote by Knifehorse

Pretty damn amazing to be honest. If you've played DW9000 pedals, it's like those but with a sturdier feeling, lighter and faster too. I was looking to try the dominators but couldn't find any nearby stores that sold them. Plus I got a customer discount on the DD's 'cause I pretty much live at that drum store

The price is steep and I think they should be cheaper, but the pedals themselves are just an instant upgrade for me. Like when I went from the Pearl P-902 to the DW5000, it was a noticeable difference. I can play alot of the faster metal stuff and fills alot smoother and cleaner with alot less effort. BUT it does take some getting used to and trying to find what setup works for you.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Knifehorse
Been doing that a bit myself as well actually, trying to build up my ambidexterity. I'd like to get to the level of Alex Rudinger, but I know that I'll never be able to match Travis Orbin. Not even in my dreams.
Man, don't think about it like that. Yeah, Travis is an amazing player, but really, there's no secrets or tricks to what he did-- all he did was practice. The only way you CAN'T do something is if you really tell yourself that you can't... so don't. If you know what you want to achieve, and how to achieve it, then nothing's impossible.

Heck, Travis is naturally right handed, just like you and I, and even says once in a while he stumbles across something that he can't play left handed. Think about that for a second. Same with Alex Rudinger-- he also can't play everything left handed that he can right handed, according to he himself. So be confident in yourself, dude.

As an example, when I first started trying to develop metal drumming I could not play a traditional blast cleanly to save my life, much less do that leading with the left hand instead of the right, but I worked on it hard for several months and now I can blast both right and left handed. I can do it much faster with my right, but I still work on the left handed ones nonetheless, and I'm sure with time I'll be able to do them at equivalent speeds. There's nothing stopping you from doing the exact same thing with blast beats or anything else, really.
Just learning a few albums (I often learn whole albums rather than individual songs) at the moment:

Blink 182 - self titled
Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This to Memory
Skindred - Babylon
Weerd Science - Sick Kids.

Just a way of getting back into things and increasing my stamina again. I've gone a long time without a kit at home, and just got a new one about a month ago. I'm wanting to get my stamina back up so I can play some Mastodon songs with my mates without dying
Quote by Niiko

The price is steep and I think they should be cheaper, but the pedals themselves are just an instant upgrade for me. Like when I went from the Pearl P-902 to the DW5000, it was a noticeable difference. I can play alot of the faster metal stuff and fills alot smoother and cleaner with alot less effort. BUT it does take some getting used to and trying to find what setup works for you.

I know what you mean. I went from Gibraltar pedals with a strap drive, worth about $150. What a crazy difference $650 make, but I would expect no less. Still tinkering with the settings on my Dominators, but they really are an amazing piece of engineering.

Quote by Steve08

Man, don't think about it like that. Yeah, Travis is an amazing player, but really, there's no secrets or tricks to what he did-- all he did was practice. The only way you CAN'T do something is if you really tell yourself that you can't... so don't. If you know what you want to achieve, and how to achieve it, then nothing's impossible.

I don't have the time to practice as much as I'd like, with school and what-not. I read somewhere that at one point Virgil Donati was practicing about 10 hours a day in his hotel room, to the point where there was condensation building up on his windows

I'll definitely keep working on it, keen would be an understatement. But to be honest, I have only been playing for 4-5 years. Not sure how long Travis has been playing but I would assume over double off the top of my head. If I had the money, I'd actually get a set up like Travis or Alex, looks crazy fun to play.
Quote by Knifehorse
I know what you mean. I went from Gibraltar pedals with a strap drive, worth about $150. What a crazy difference $650 make, but I would expect no less. Still tinkering with the settings on my Dominators, but they really are an amazing piece of engineering.

I don't have the time to practice as much as I'd like, with school and what-not. I read somewhere that at one point Virgil Donati was practicing about 10 hours a day in his hotel room, to the point where there was condensation building up on his windows

I'll definitely keep working on it, keen would be an understatement. But to be honest, I have only been playing for 4-5 years. Not sure how long Travis has been playing but I would assume over double off the top of my head. If I had the money, I'd actually get a set up like Travis or Alex, looks crazy fun to play.
Travis has been playing for more than half his life, or about 14-15ish years. So, more like triple, really.

And honestly... practicing for 10 hours is freaking extreme and hard. You need to consider these things: how freaking boring it would be, and how much of a waste of time it would be to spend 10 hours a day with just drums. Not even playing, mind. Just practicing. That's from like, 12pm to 10pm-- that's a whole day worth and I could probably squeeze in 2-3 hours worth of time and be just as productive, if not a bit less. The only way that's possible is if you have a LOT of material to practice and an extremely comprehensive method of budgeting your time and approaching each thing. There is no way I could spend 10 hours doing anything without planning out every single aspect of it-- what and for how long, so as to not get bored, and not waste time, etc. Planning out that much time is a challenge, to be honest.

Not having a lot of time to practice is fine. I don't really either. But practicing a lot is utterly worthless if you don't have anything to actually practice-- you can still be incredibly productive and make a lot of progress in a fairly short amount of time, say... 90 minutes a day. A lot of people are like "oh yeah, I practice 5 hours a day!" but honestly, what and how you practice is more important than merely the amount of time spent. For example, I never do any one thing longer than 15 minutes, why? Because it gets fucking boring, essentially And also because I have more time to approach different areas. For example, double bass is very important to me and I want to develop it A LOT, so I work on just double bass for an hour a day but within that hour I chop it up and do varying exercises to maximize the effect and also keep myself somewhat entertained.

Optimizing your practice time to be productive is crucial, especially if you don't have a lot of time. Hopefully some of this advice helps.

Also, yeah, I play a right + left handed set-up, to some extent... I used to have an entirely symmetrical kit (like Mangini's DT kit, except not as big) but then I ditched it. My kit has 2 rides, a hi-hat on the left side (I actually prefer playing left handed, for some reason), a china on either side, two crashes on the left side, a crash on the right, a 14" china between the two crashes and a splash attached to my right crash. I move my bass drum to the right so that my feet are centered and my kit isn't really shifted to the left or right, as if I have two bass drums, and my toms are mounted off my cymbal stands-- I have a regular 5 pc rack tom setup except with a 16" floor tom on my left side. So I can play right and left handed on the same kit, pretty comfortably (and do). I feel that kind of set-up is more optimal for everything and lets me express myself however I want.

Orbo's setup with no rack toms is a cool idea but I personally wouldn't do it... seems pretty limiting.
Working on...

Just Time Traveling these days.
Going back to older stuff i didn't look into a while. Helps catching a few ideas that easily slip away. Lots of basic things i know, but overlook every once in a while.

Then taking advantage of the same glorious lousy memory of mine, gather some songs (minus drums) and see what i come up with - without listening to the original before. Just for fun. Yes, lack of attention is a gift.

Helps with writing new stuff actually. My books are filling up with ideas again.

About the hours, i keep my practice sessions short even if i have more time. For me it's more effective. Too much repetition - bored - lack of attention - fail.
Wouldn't practice one thing only at a time either. Blame it on ADHD, but it works for me.

My stamina builds fast, too. Guess it comes from the Martial Arts and whatnot.

Yeah, i'm not helpful.
Quote by Steve08
Optimizing your practice time to be productive is crucial, especially if you don't have a lot of time. Hopefully some of this advice helps.

Yeah it was helpful. I also probably wouldn't go with no rack tom/s either but it's an interesting idea. At the moment, my kit set up is

Hi-hats left side
Splash mounted on the hi-hat stand
Crash left side
China far right, almost in line with my body
Ride next to my rack tom
Snare directly in front of me
Rack tom directly in front of me, mounted on the bass drum
Floor tom next to my snare on the right side
My kick is slightly off-set to the right for a more comfortable foot position.

Also, looking into getting Tommy Igoe's DVD "Great Hands for a Lifetime", from what I've seen it looks pretty good. Anyone had any experience with it personally?
Last edited by Knifehorse at Nov 2, 2011,
Ah bugger just noticed I failed with the quote haha.

Fixed.

And the 4 piece I found really easy to get used to, though I would like to have 4 toms rather than two.
Last edited by Knifehorse at Nov 3, 2011,