Page 1 of 3
Linky

This is older news now but I'm curious to discuss it.
Basically scientists have discovered neutrinos that travel faster than the speed of light. It still has to be independently verified by another particle collider but if it is true, it means Einstein was wrong and his formula will fall apart. It means causality falls to pieces too. They have tested this a number of times so there is little chance that it is experimental error.

We will need a new formula to solve mathematically what is going on.

Thoughts? Discuss.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Old news
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Quote by StewieSwan
Old news

Quote by captaincrunk
Almost as old as Einstein himself.

Pretty sure I said that.

Clowns.

UG Awards
Can't find the article, but it basically said that the GPS systems the scientists were using were calculated to be off by exactly the amount of milliseconds (or however far off it was) that the neutrinos were said to have beaten lightspeed by.

Edit: Researched it a little bit and saw that the article I was referring to was a single opinion and not peer reviewed. However, CERN and OPERA have both come out saying that they think something is wrong or they messed something up, but they don't know where.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Oct 27, 2011,
itt, scientists didn't think about the fact that neutrinos travel through most every object, i.e. the soil inbetween them.

the light had to go around the earth, neutrinos could have gone through it.
Quote by Twidler
Wooooosh is the sound of this going right over my head

tl;dr, a bunch of useless people, with useless knowledge, making useless findings, that have little bearing on anything in the world today.

what we need to focus on is getting rid of around 2.5 billion people, so that we all don't starve to death.

i vote off africa and muslim immigrants.
Quote by 00_hns_00
tl;dr, a bunch of useless people, with useless knowledge, making useless findings, that have little bearing on anything in the world today.

what we need to focus on is getting rid of around 2.5 billion people, so that we all don't starve to death.

You first.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by captaincrunk
Newton got us to the moon just fine. We don't want a useful theory anymore, now we want accuracy.

Fair point.
It wouldn't necessarily mean Einstein was wrong. What if neutrinos simply warp instantly from one place to another, shortening the distance they need to travel? Or what if they are always faster than the speed of light and don't need to accelerate? There's plenty of explanations that would fit alongside relativity.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by seeneyj
Linky

This is older news now but I'm curious to discuss it.
Basically scientists have discovered neutrinos that travel faster than the speed of light. It still has to be independently verified by another particle collider but if it is true, it means Einstein was wrong and his formula will fall apart. It means causality falls to pieces too. They have tested this a number of times so there is little chance that it is experimental error.

We will need a new formula to solve mathematically what is going on.

Thoughts? Discuss.

i dont think things would fall apart as much as you think. his theories have still been demonstrated and are used to make things like GPS work. neutrinos from what i understand have no mass so honestly, it kinda makes sense that they wouldnt follow his theory properly. things are not supposed to go faster than light because the closer they get to that speed they gain mass. but neutrinos have no mass and can pass through the earth without a problem. because of this i would assume they dont apply to this theory and can be an exception.

also, its not stated anywhere that its impossible to "beat" light. you can, if you have a shortcut. perhaps the neutrinos took a "shortcut" that we arent aware of and appeared to go faster than light? honestly i don't know enough about it or about how they even calculated the speed of the neutrinos so thats all i can say. before this i was under the impression no one was sure if neutrinos actually existed. i guess i'm behind,

theres a saying though that says if you think you understand quantum physics, you dont understand quantum physics. i think this might fall under that.
Quote by 00_hns_00

You first. idiot.
It has a massive bearing on the world today.

UG Awards
Quote by seeneyj
You first. idiot.
It has a massive bearing on the world today.

your avatar made my eyes hurt after i stared at it for a minute.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
things are not supposed to go faster than light because the closer they get to that speed they gain mass. but neutrinos have no mass and can pass through the earth without a problem.

also, its not stated anywhere that its impossible to "beat" light. you can, if you have a shortcut. perhaps the neutrinos took a "shortcut" that we arent aware of and appeared to go faster than light?

theres a saying though that says if you think you understand quantum physics, you dont understand quantum physics. i think this might fall under that.

Neutrinos aren't massless. That's why this is profound and even if they were, they shouldn't travel faster than light. At least the same speed.

And what do you mean shortcut? If you mean wormholes, light can take that same shortcut.

UG Awards
I got excited, because I thought this thread was about the other lab that was supposed to reproduce the results...but then I realized that this is

OLDDDDDDDDDDD
Last edited by The Spoon at Oct 27, 2011,
Scientists knew about this before Einstein even finalized his theory.

(time travel jokes lol)

Also, when this first came to the public, I did a little math, and I think that I found that the neutrino was about 17 meters farther along the collider than it should have been. Considering the size of a neutrino, that is really significant.
Last edited by Dirge Humani at Oct 27, 2011,
Quote by GibsonMan321
You first.

awww, looky at the people pleaser they are so cute with their naive mindset.
Quote by 00_hns_00

I'm ok, I live next to a field of cows
Possible explanation: Relativistic effects. Haw
Quote by Dirge Humani
Scientists knew about this before Einstein even finalized his theory.

(time travel jokes lol)

Also, when this first came to the public, I did a little math, and I think that I found that the neutrino was about 17 meters farther along the collider than it should have been. Considering the size of a neutrino, that is really significant.

The timing is still on the order of billionths of seconds. That's where the error might be coming in.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

^Hey fuck you buddy. Thanks a lot. Now all the PETA protestors will be here hating on UG and spamming us with their

naked

protestors

^Hey thanks buddy

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by 00_hns_00

Are you starving, you fat prick? Get off my planet.
Quote by SteveHouse

The timing is still on the order of billionths of seconds. That's where the error might be coming in.

Yeah, they said they repeated it a number of times over a few months to make sure it wasn't experimental error however.

UG Awards
Quote by SteveHouse

Still, they did something like 15,000 tests. That's a lot of chances to find an error.

Though that article is interesting, and not something I've heard yet.
Quote by 00_hns_00
awww, looky at the people pleaser they are so cute with their naive mindset.

I'm pretty sure you're trolling, but please just get your sorry 11-er ass out of here anyway.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by Dirge Humani
Still, they did something like 15,000 tests. That's a lot of chances to find an error.

I don't know specifically because I'm not an expert (haven't watched the replays), but I do know that in general it's really, really hard to detect neutrinos because they famously don't interact with anything (millions are passing through you from the sun right now, yes through, doing 0 harm). However I also happen to know you're better at QM than I am. For every one that's detected, how many would pass through?

SHEdit: I realize that was a stupid way to word the question, answer in whatever strange, probabilistic way is appropriate.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Last edited by SteveHouse at Oct 27, 2011,
Well we detect Xs because they do things (like cell damage). That's interaction. Neutrinos pass through without doing shit.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

"We don't allow faster than light neutrinos in here" Said the Bartender.
A neutrino walks into a bar.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Will be interesting to see what direction physics takes from now on and what this discovery will facilitate
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
Quote by Krieger91
"We don't allow faster than light neutrinos in here" Said the Bartender.
A neutrino walks into a bar.

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
if this is proved to be true then nothing much will change. You just swap light for neutrinos as the fastest traveling shit.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Page 1 of 3