Page 1 of 5
Just wondering what all of you guys think of straight-edge people, not just musicians but anyone that chooses to stay clean of drugs and alcohol
I don't do drugs or drink alcohol, yet I'm not straight edge.

What you think of me now, bitch?
As long as they don't act superior for doing so, I have no problem with it. I'm pretty straight edge myself, the only thing I hate is peer pressure, be it to drink/do drugs or for other people to stop (as long as they're responsible with it).
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I've never met the kind of straight-edge kid that UG loves to bitch about.

I don't have an issue with them.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by rgrockr
As long as they don't act superior for doing so, I have no problem with it.

I agree with this. You can be whatever the hell you want to be as long as you don't try to rub your shit in my face and act like you're better than anyone else who doesn't subscribe to your lifestyle choices.
strait edge ppl r da kinda ppl dat beat up oli skyes when Bring Me the Horizon played in salt lake city so **** them!!!1!!1!!!
I smoke weed and drink beers often and I think straight edge is gay. This is my opinion on straight edge and how it originated:

-mom, can I go to summer slaughter?
-no because most likely the kids there do drugs and smoke weed and are generally bad people.
-nah they're all straight edge.
-okay son you may go in that case
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
so do you put anyone that doesn't partake into the straght-edge category or are just people that don't drink or do drugs??
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Meh, if you're smart enough to understand the world, you're going to have to get drunk pretty often to defer killing yourself. That makes me think straight-edge people aren't that smart.

ugh do I have to type this out again?

Drink, do drugs, ****, etc?
thats cool

Brag about it?
youre a fag

Dont drink, do drugs, ****, etc?
thats cool to

Brag about it?
youre a fag
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
I'm actually glad I saw this topic.

I myself am Straight Edge, but not the hipster or judgmental kind. Many of my friends do drugs, and it doesn't bother me, and they don't give me crap for not drinking or smoking weed. The only band I'm into that I know is straight edge is Throwdown, only because they've progressed towards a more metal sound than hardcore. I've never smoked or drank before, and it hasn't really bothered me that I haven't.

I've only gotten shit because people wrongly assume that Straight Edge people don't have sex, and that's not true. Sure, I bet there are some that don't but still, it's about not smoking and drinking, and that's all I follow.
It's their life, they can do what they want. As long as they don't shove it in my face.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by DempseyPunk

thats cool

Brag about it?
youre a fag

thats cool to

Brag about it?
youre a fag

/thread
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I'm clean of drugs and alcohol, so I guess that makes me straight-edge.

But I don't have a problem with others doing drugs or drinking unless they try to force it on me, and many of them do. Or they ask me how I can possibly be happy in life without drinking/doing lots of pot. I don't see how it's that difficult to understand.

I used to have a bigger problem with drugs/drinking, and used to try to get others to stop.. But then I just stopped caring. It's their life, their decisions.. Whether they be bad or good.

Quote by DempseyPunk

thats cool

Brag about it?
youre a fag

thats cool to

Brag about it?
youre a fag

Know what? This. I know far too many people who literally brag about getting wasted or being so high that they did something and got arrested and don't remember it.

And it's always like this: "Hahahahaha lol dude i got high last night and got arrested hahaha loll"

And then there's the straight edge kids: "I don't drink or smoke, so I'm better than you!"
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Oct 27, 2011,
Quote by DempseyPunk

thats cool

Brag about it?
youre a fag

thats cool to

Brag about it?
youre a fag
This. Actually I think the people that brag about doing drugs are superfags
Took plenty of them growing up, screwed my head up, sorted myself out, it was fun at the time but sometimes the after effects are a real bitch.

Straight edge is a bit vague though, some folk are straight in some ways but totally nuts in others.
I think it's an unnecessary label designed to facilitate an unfounded sense of superiority and as an excuse to commit violence and enact prejudice over those who do dabble in drugs, alcohol and sex.

It's also an unnecessary label designed to facilitate an unfounded sense of individuality for all those people who also wear 'You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same' t shirts.

There is no need for the label. I don't drink or do drugs. What do I call myself? Ben. Because that is my name.
i don't like people that try to use drinking as a status symbol. you are not cool because you got so drunk you threw up and don't remember anything. i have never met someone that bragged up how they don't drink but i feel like i wouldn't like them either
Quote by TheAbsentOne

But I don't have a problem with others doing drugs or drinking unless they try to force it on me, and many of them do. Or they ask me how I can possibly be happy in life without drinking/doing lots of pot. .

Is this actually true outside of an after school special?

I didn't drink until I was about 19 years old. No one ever pressured me into any kind of drug or alcohol use before (or after) that point despite me hanging around plenty of people who were drinking and using drugs.

It just doesn't seem real to me. Someone offering a beer or a drag isn't coercing people to participate, anytime I've made it clear I'm not interested (except when dealing with reeaaaaaaaaly drunk people who are too wasted to get it) I've never even had a second offer.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I think it's an unnecessary label designed to facilitate an unfounded sense of superiority and as an excuse to commit violence and enact prejudice over those who do dabble in drugs, alcohol and sex.

It's also an unnecessary label designed to facilitate an unfounded sense of individuality for all those people who also wear 'You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same' t shirts.

There is no need for the label. I don't drink or do drugs. What do I call myself? Ben. Because that is my name.

Are you one half of the comedy duo 'Bill & Ben'. Because I heard you got arrested for being a pedo.
Each to their own I reckon, I know some people that take drugs and drink and are really sound but I know some people who don't drink or take drugs and they're really sound too
I have never touched drugs or alcohol, so essentially you're asking what I think of myself, which the answer would, of couse, be that I'm amazing.

In all seriousness though, I have no problem with how people live their lives, as long as they're not all-in-my-face about it.
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Is this actually true outside of an after school special?

I didn't drink until I was about 19 years old. No one ever pressured me into any kind of drug or alcohol use before (or after) that point despite me hanging around plenty of people who were drinking and using drugs.

It just doesn't seem real to me. Someone offering a beer or a drag isn't coercing people to participate, anytime I've made it clear I'm not interested (except when dealing with reeaaaaaaaaly drunk people who are too wasted to get it) I've never even had a second offer.

I've run into people who will try their hardest to force it on me. I was like 2 hours away from home hanging out with some friends, and all of a sudden they all decided it was time to drink and get drunk. Me, being the only one who doesn't drink.. Sat there alone. Eventually they all tried to get me to do it, and it came down to "You either drink or go the **** home"

I went home. I haven't hung out with them since. This was last October I think.

The same has gone for drugs. Hanging out, everyone decides to get high, tell me they won't hang out with me if I don't do it with them. Lost a lot of friends that way..
I hate those guys. I work in a pub and a brewery so by these people not drinking they're reducing the amount of money that could be going into MY pocket. How selfish can you get?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I've run into people who will try their hardest to force it on me. I was like 2 hours away from home hanging out with some friends, and all of a sudden they all decided it was time to drink and get drunk. Me, being the only one who doesn't drink.. Sat there alone. Eventually they all tried to get me to do it, and it came down to "You either drink or go the **** home"

I went home. I haven't hung out with them since. This was last October I think.

The same has gone for drugs. Hanging out, everyone decides to get high, tell me they won't hang out with me if I don't do it with them. Lost a lot of friends that way..

Sounds like you have shit friends. Good riddance, you're better off without people who don't respect your personal decisions.
Quote by Ed Hunter
I hate those guys. I work in a pub and a brewery so by these people not drinking they're reducing the amount of money that could be going into MY pocket. How selfish can you get?

Surely they buy loads of coke though? It was a while ago, but when my parents owned pubs, soft drinks from the tap were the highest margin drinks, can't have changed that much, surely?
Quote by jetfuel495
Sounds like you have shit friends. Good riddance, you're better off without people who don't respect your personal decisions.

That's how I feel about it.

It's almost pathetic that the majority of people I meet are like that. Whether it's in my tiny town or in the city. People just suck.

At this point I only hang out with 4 or 5 people, and talk to only a few more. Everyone else is just such an asshole
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Surely they buy loads of coke though? It was a while ago, but when my parents owned pubs, soft drinks from the tap were the highest margin drinks, can't have changed that much, surely?

I almost always get free drinks when I'm not drinking booze at the bar. Bar tenders just figure I'm the DD and give them out usually. Of course I only am there with a bunch of people that are drinking, I can see how it would be otherwise if we were all just having soft drinks.

and @absentone:

That really sucks man, agreed that those aren't good friends to begin with.
I'm a straight edge but I've never really said anything or even considered it. I don't drink or do drugs.. That's it. I'm not about to go shout to the world and make everyone else feel bad about what they choose to do with their lives.

However what I find contradictory ITT is the fact that people are saying "As long as they don't boast about it."

What about the people who get pissed every week-end and 'boast' about it on Facebook/to you?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Page 1 of 5