9 16%
Orange Dark Terror
6 11%
Blackstar HT-5RH
12 22%
None of above
28 51%
Voters: 55.
Hi there. I've been playing electric guitar for almost 2 years, acoustic for 4 years or so. I have Roland Cube 30x, fantastic amp, but I need (want) a low-wattage tube amp. My budget will be 500€ tops, and three candinates are Orange Tiny Terror or Dark Terror and Blackstar HT-5RH, but suggest something else, too!
I have a DIY 1x12" cab w/ Eminence The governor. So, I was wondering what would be best option for the money spent. I play everything from blues to metal. Thanks
"You can't play fast unless you play slow"
Last edited by Supercolio at Oct 27, 2011,
please try the marshall class 5 and the vox lil' night train, thems good amps too.

bottomline: get what you like best
What kind of music are you playing, and what kind of sound are you looking for?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
What kind of music are you playing, and what kind of sound are you looking for?

I play heavy music, metal and heavy rock, but also blues and such. I'm looking for a nice tube overdrive and cleans. I know I can't get a full-blown metal amp with that money.
Quote by Supercolio
I play heavy music, metal and heavy rock, but also blues and such. I'm looking for a nice tube overdrive and cleans. I know I can't get a full-blown metal amp with that money.

Gotcha. In that case, I would say Egnater Tweaker.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
Gotcha. In that case, I would say Egnater Tweaker.

And we have a winner. TS, I can't recommend the Tweaker highly enough in this case.
two channel amp
Tweaker 40
Night Train 50
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
Quote by Jyrgen
Can you play loud though?

Yes I can.
I'm not sure about Egnater Tweaker nor Peavey. I haven't heard anything about Egnater's ever, so I'm little suspicious about it.
Tubemeister 18 is getting alot of hype lately. Although i havent played one and people could just be bias because of how sweet it looks.
Quote by Supercolio
Yes I can.
I'm not sure about Egnater Tweaker nor Peavey. I haven't heard anything about Egnater's ever, so I'm little suspicious about it.

Egnater still aren't hugely known, which is a shame, but I'll be the first to assure you that their quality is top notch.
I've been noticing a lot of pro guitarists that play in TV showbands using Egnaters.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hmm, egnaters seem fine amps, but they're not excatly what I'm looking for... Does anyone have any experience about tiny terrors? Are they worth the money?
EDIT: "they're not excatly what I'm looking for" means that I don't want to order them online, I want to test them in a store, and because they're not known amps, I think they can't be found in finland.
Quote by Supercolio
Yes I can.

Fine

Tiny Terrors are pretty good sounding for a dark british style drive sound, but not too versatile in the sense that you get only one channel with a limited EQ, and no effects loop. However if you like the tone, get it, just be aware that it will be difficult to switch tones up while playing

The H&K Tubemeister seems pretty good, should be able to do tones from blues to metal and between.

Also consider used amps for a better money-value ratio
Thanks Jyrgen I'll go and test Tiny Terror when I can. H&K Tubemeister 18 looks awesome, but it's bit expensive for me. I'll see if I can find used amps too.
I threw in a vote for the Dark Terror, cos I got one and think it's awesome! :p
Anyway...try it out if you can. It's really flexible if you ask me, you can get a lot of different tones from it. The cleans are surprisingly good as well, there's just not a ton of headroom if you want to play it clean at a small show or something like that.
It's got an FX Loop as well, which is quite nice to have if you get effects that benefit from going in there (like delays and reverbsfor instance).
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
I threw in a vote for the Dark Terror, cos I got one and think it's awesome! :p
Anyway...try it out if you can. It's really flexible if you ask me, you can get a lot of different tones from it. The cleans are surprisingly good as well, there's just not a ton of headroom if you want to play it clean at a small show or something like that.
It's got an FX Loop as well, which is quite nice to have if you get effects that benefit from going in there (like delays and reverbsfor instance).

Yeah, that's why I like it a bit more than TT... Hmm, I gotta keep looking.
Well I came here to recommend the egnater tweaker. Turns out it's already been mentioned, and discarded as a choice. Shame.
RIP Gooze

cats
Jet City JCA5012C
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by mulefish
Well I came here to recommend the egnater tweaker. Turns out it's already been mentioned, and discarded as a choice. Shame.

Discarded as an amp not fitting my style, not as a bad amp
Anything that comes in a combo. I wouldn't recommend a head as a first tube amp, too much of a fire risk.

But yeah, I'm also rec'ing the JCA5012. Has a 12" speaker plus headroom and a shitload of gain. One of those amps that you mentioned isn't even all-tube anyway.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Anything that comes in a combo. I wouldn't recommend a head as a first tube amp, too much of a fire risk.

But yeah, I'm also rec'ing the JCA5012. Has a 12" speaker plus headroom and a shitload of gain. One of those amps that you mentioned isn't even all-tube anyway.

I know, Blackstar isn't all-tube so I really don't like it, but it sounds great. I'm going for a head, I know how to handle electric equipment.
Maybe check out an Egnater Renegade. I can assure you it's much closer to what you're looking for than a Tiny Terror.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Maybe check out an Egnater Renegade. I can assure you it's much closer to what you're looking for than a Tiny Terror.

Thanks, I'll take a look.
EDIT: On the second look... it goes way over my budget... Shame, it looks nice.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I wouldn't recommend a head as a first tube amp, too much of a fire risk.

WHAT?!
I got a Vox Valvetronix VT30 for my son, but my nephew plays in a band and he's just got the Valvetrovix VT80. They retail at about £270 (the VT30 is about £150, there's also a VT50 for £220. its actually a modelling amp with a tube power amp, so best of both worlds. Follow the link it's a demo of the range of sounds, some real good blues and rock classic sounds.
http://www.mediafileshare.com/video/4294
Quote by billabob
Tubemeister 18 is getting alot of hype lately. Although i havent played one and people could just be bias because of how sweet it looks.

Hughes and Kettner amps are freaking sick, seriously, I want that Tubemiester or Puretone for my next lunch box, its certainly not a super amp but price point, features and quality are all awesome.

I own the 15W Marshall Haze and its loud and proud, uses 12AX7 preamps and 6V6 power tubes. I play anything from classic rock to modern death metal and it fits the bill for me.

I would probably swing towards one of the lunchbox amps that has a master volume or a selectable wattage output so you can get that snarly cranked amp sound without cranking your amp, even though mine is only 15W I cant get it to half volume without the neighbor getting pissed.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Im gonna throw in for the Jet City as well. Very nice amps, and the two channel models are suprisingly versitile.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by mc_cool
I got a Vox Valvetronix VT30 for my son, but my nephew plays in a band and he's just got the Valvetrovix VT80. They retail at about £270 (the VT30 is about £150, there's also a VT50 for £220. its actually a modelling amp with a tube power amp, so best of both worlds. Follow the link it's a demo of the range of sounds, some real good blues and rock classic sounds.
http://www.mediafileshare.com/video/4294

Mmm I'm not into a modelling amp this time, I already have Cube 30x, I want a pure lunchbox tube amp :3

Hey guys, you're throwing in too expensive ideas! D: I can't afford marshall Haze... It looks badass, and so does H&K... If I can find one of those here, I'll seriously think about it.
Quote by Supercolio
Mmm I'm not into a modelling amp this time, I already have Cube 30x, I want a pure lunchbox tube amp :3

Hey guys, you're throwing in too expensive ideas! D: I can't afford marshall Haze... It looks badass, and so does H&K... If I can find one of those here, I'll seriously think about it.

D'oh my bad I totally got sidetracked and didnt even cast a vote!

Orange Dark Terror, especially if you want to run effects, its the same as the Tiny Terror but with a smidgen more gain and that lovely effects loop.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
I'd be surprised if you didn't love the Blackstar HT-5. They sound great!

The Vox VT series are hybrid modelling amps and I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Another nod to Jet City. Fantastic equipment for the money -- and while you might not know a lot about them by name, you surely know Soldano (who started Jet City as a more budget-oriented line).

I'm getting a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 head -- arriving soon! But from the reviews I've heard, it might not get you to where you want to be with the dark/heavy stuff. That being said, it apparently takes pedals well.

If you don't need an effects loop, check out the Mesa TransAtlantic-15. It's a bit more money that you're looking at spending, but with the higher (switchable) wattage, you'll be able to get more headroom out of it.

Lastly (again more money), check out the Mesa Mini Rectifier. That will most likely be my next amp if the Tubemeister 18 doesn't do it for me. I doubt you'd need a pedal with this little monster. Again, more headroom...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
^ anything mesas supposedly costs double overseas than here.

if you can stretch a dual terror that would be the best way go. you can footswitch between the handles. the fat channel can get pretty damn heavy with a boost or even without one. the TT channel is great for that blues on the edge of dirt, but wont stay clean loud. out of all my amps i probably use the DT the most.i can get it down to 7 watts, so it is more playable in the middle of the night.

the tweaker will not get you good metal. owned one for a while, i didn't buy it for that. it is a brilliantly designed amp though.

i would look into jet city, i had a 2112RC, and it was OK, and owned the JCA50H and hated it. it was gone in 48 hours. on the birght side however there are a lot of mods out there for the varius jet citys out there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thank you for excelent ideas! Many of you suggest Jet city, so I'll take a youtube tour about them. And yeah, I can't afford any Mesa's... What a shame, quality amps. Regarding youtube clips, H&K tubemeister is awesome but not that good with lead... Orange Dual Terror in the otherhand, if the fat channel gets as heavy as I understood from trashedlostfdup, that would be what I'm looking for. It's expensive though. Oh man this is hard! So many possibilities!
I was in a local music store today, tested Blackstar HT-5RH and tubemeister 18 combo. They both were good sounding, but not what I was looking for. As a side note, H&K tubemeister had amazing cleans, but lead was not that great.
Quote by Supercolio
Thank you for excelent ideas! Many of you suggest Jet city, so I'll take a youtube tour about them. And yeah, I can't afford any Mesa's... What a shame, quality amps. Regarding youtube clips, H&K tubemeister is awesome but not that good with lead... Orange Dual Terror in the otherhand, if the fat channel gets as heavy as I understood from trashedlostfdup, that would be what I'm looking for. It's expensive though. Oh man this is hard! So many possibilities!

look atthe mp3's on my profile. if you click all, you will see a clip with the MI audio blues pro and the Dual Terror. that is just mindless riffing with my fiance's iphone. its a tone demo, not great playing. lol. and its quite old.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/