View poll results: Which SG
Worn
6 33%
Special
1 6%
Standard
11 61%
Voters: 18.
ok i am looking for a new guitar and i have decided on the Gibson SG. i am wondering if the Special or the Standard is worth the extra money over the worn model. Thanks!
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
In terms of sound, no. Not at all. In terms of look, it depends on your personal preference for a tip-top look or a fake "proffessional" profile. I have both types of finish on my guitars and I can tell you there are no diferences in terms of sounds and, meanwhile, the worn finish resists very well. But no one took me for David Gilmour just because my worn Strat showed some stripes and aged plastics!
But don't forget Gibson owners are a special breed of players. For them, Studio Worn models are despicable. If you don't care about the Gibson flock, just choose the axe who sounds and plays better.
thats what i care about, the sound. the people that i care about how it looks have owned 2of the worn ones in the past and tell me that they loved it
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Quote by rv_phoenix
In terms of sound, no. Not at all. In terms of look, it depends on your personal preference for a tip-top look or a fake "proffessional" profile. I have both types of finish on my guitars and I can tell you there are no diferences in terms of sounds and, meanwhile, the worn finish resists very well. But no one took me for David Gilmour just because my worn Strat showed some stripes and aged plastics!
But don't forget Gibson owners are a special breed of players. For them, Studio Worn models are despicable. If you don't care about the Gibson flock, just choose the axe who sounds and plays better.

Nah.. thats a pretty weird statement, i know lots of Gibson guys who buys faded/worn models, but they often mod them with new pickups and tuners.

I have the faded SG myself and have had it for years, great for the money! But i would go for the standard if i were you
Quote by RiseTheFallen
But i would go for the standard if i were you

why should i get a standard? what makesit better
If you want a guitar that last longer i would go for the standard. The color on mine is totally wearing of which might be cool to some, but its sooo easy to get a big scratch/ding on the faded because its just a piece of wood and the standard has a nitro finish.
The Standard is obviously higher quality overall and has the fancier appointments but if tone is the one and only thing you care about then no, there is no real difference. If anything the 'worn' version may sound the best as its finish is the thinnest of the three.
the special has a nitro finish as well, only real difference is the bridge pickup. I own a faded that I chose over a few other fadeds and standards, and I just couldn't leave without it, even though it was used and in a guitar store (aka almost as expensive as a new one). Try a few out, and eventually, you'll see what you like better. I like the faded better honestly, even in terms of looks, but the standard comes with a HSC and a neck binding, which I wouldn't mind. To me however, the price is hard to justify, especially since I bought a very decent hard case for 70 bucks.