This simple little riff/lick/whathaveyou is giving me trouble. Not because it's difficult to play, because I can play it very fast at this point, but because the A string notes sound faaarr too bassy. Here's what I'm playing:

D|-7-9-10---9-10-7-9-10---9-10---
A|----------7-----------------8---------

Play it at any speed, and the result is still the same. The D string notes all sound bright and cheery (Nothing is Palm Muted btw) like I want, but the A string notes have a Chunky/Thick/Bassy sound that I don't want. I even moved it down to be played on D&G, but then the D string notes sound chunky! What the DSFSDF >_<; How can I fix this? I want the A string to give a thin sound, not a Thump everytime I hit a note on it.
I'm not having the same problem. Could be your strings need changing. I dunno.

Are you playing it on acoustic, or electric? And through what amp?
Try (I'm just ordering it by what's easiest, may as well do easiest first):

• Change position on pickup selector (you may have it set to the neck which has a deeper/thicker tone)
  • Changing the volume and tone knobs
  • Using a different pick
  • Changing the settings on your amp
  • Changing the angle of the pick
  • Using a different gauge of strings (lighter should do it)
  • Using a different guitar

Of course, 3 of these rely on it being an electric...
You might bee hitting those lower notes a bit harder than the others? New strings may also help. I didn't notice similar problem with that lick.

Also try lowering bass on your amp and the "bass" side of your pickup in case you're using electric guitar
Last edited by imposiitin at Oct 27, 2011,