Hi
i just received my brand new guitar, which has a floyd rose 1000 series (should be pretty much like an ofr)
the problem is that i tune the guitar, dive-bomb one time, not even that deep and the guitar goes out of tune
its the same with pull ups
also, when i dive bomb all strings go flat and when i pull up all strings go sharp
its like the tremolo wants to stay where i pulled it, maybe it doesnt return to the original position?
or maybe the springs are stiff or something?
this is my first floyd rose equipped guitar, so i dont have any experience with it
i am really upset that my new guitar wont stay in tune, please help me fix it
I read brand new and going out of tune, its 99% just the strings stretching. Don't divebomb and keep tuning, after an hour or two of playing and tuning it'll stop.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Make sure the bridge is floating level. But like mentioned before, could be the strings are still in need of a proper stretching.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
Make sure the bridge is floating level. But like mentioned before, could be the strings are still in need of a proper stretching.

what is floating level?
you mean parallel to the body?
Quote by philipk
what is floating level?
you mean parallel to the body?

Yep. You should also make sure your nut is tightened properly, because if the strings go flat after a dive and sharp after a pull then they might be slipping under the nut clamps.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Ok, ill set it up tomorrow to floating level and make sure the nut is tightened properly
now its late and im too tired
ill make the NGD when the guitar functions properly
I got a guitar brand new once but it had been played a fair bit in the shop and the posts where the bridge sits against had notches, did exactly the same thing. I think if it was the strings they would just go flat and wouldn't go sharp. You've either got a problem with the nut or the bridge. As said check the clamps but also worth checking the actual nut itself is screwed down tight, had that on another NEW guitar.
Quote by Twidler
I got a guitar brand new once but it had been played a fair bit in the shop and the posts where the bridge sits against had notches, did exactly the same thing. I think if it was the strings they would just go flat and wouldn't go sharp. You've either got a problem with the nut or the bridge. As said check the clamps but also worth checking the actual nut itself is screwed down tight, had that on another NEW guitar.

how do i do that?
You'll either have allen key bolts from the back or cross headed screws from the top, under the string clamps.
i made sure the nut is screwed down tight, made sure the string clamps are tight, stretched every string twice, and it still doesnt stay in tune when i use the tremolo
any other suggestions?
^Take it back... If it is properly setup (floating parallel to the body surface) AND the strings have been sufficiently stretched then there can be a number of things wrong with it- knives binding in the post grooves, posts ovaling the wood, the trem block can even be a little loose. All of this isn't to be expected from a brand new guitar.
to take it back id have to send it back across the mediterranean sea and the north atlantic ocean :\
if i could take it back, i would
i have sent the store an email, asking if i can exchange it for another guitar, but even if they agreed i would probably have to pay for shipping it back and shipping a new one here
when you say, "stretched every string twice", what do you mean, exactly?

If you mean what I think you do, you'd need to stretch them way more than that to get them to settle down.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I mean i stretched every string properly, it didnt help, i did the whole thing again just to be sure i stretched them properly, and it still had no effect on the tuning stability
Take it back, there's definitely something wrong with the trem, eithr the knife edges are damaged or the posts are but either way it's substandard and I wouldn't take it like that. I had the same issue with a schecter I got a while back, just took it back and got something else in the end.
how do i check the knife edges/posts?
im kind of a noob so i dont even know how to remove the floyd and have no idea which parts are the knife edges... if you tell me how to check them i can take a couple of pictures and you can tell me if they are damaged
i really would rather solve this myself than replace the guitar
Quote by philipk
how do i check the knife edges/posts?
im kind of a noob so i dont even know how to remove the floyd and have no idea which parts are the knife edges... if you tell me how to check them i can take a couple of pictures and you can tell me if they are damaged
i really would rather solve this myself than replace the guitar

Seriously bud, I wouldn't do anything with it for now, it's a brand new guitar and if you mess with it you might ruin any warranty you have. The shop could turn round and say it's your fault and you damaged it yourself. I would strongly suggest going back to the shop and getting them to fix it. The knife edges are the bits of the bridge that sit against the posts, the chances are they're either damaged which could mean a new bridge or at least stripping it all down and replacing the damaged part or the posts are notched and need replaced, more likely both so get it back to the shop.
Quote by Twidler
Seriously bud, I wouldn't do anything with it for now, it's a brand new guitar and if you mess with it you might ruin any warranty you have. The shop could turn round and say it's your fault and you damaged it yourself. I would strongly suggest going back to the shop and getting them to fix it. The knife edges are the bits of the bridge that sit against the posts, the chances are they're either damaged which could mean a new bridge or at least stripping it all down and replacing the damaged part or the posts are notched and need replaced, more likely both so get it back to the shop.

Quote by philipk
to take it back id have to send it back across the mediterranean sea and the north atlantic ocean :\
if i could take it back, i would
i have sent the store an email, asking if i can exchange it for another guitar, but even if they agreed i would probably have to pay for shipping it back and shipping a new one here

Do you know how to really set it up properly in the first place? That's something that many people don't learn quite properly.
Quote by Twidler
Seriously bud, I wouldn't do anything with it for now, it's a brand new guitar and if you mess with it you might ruin any warranty you have. The shop could turn round and say it's your fault and you damaged it yourself.

that's always the concern with a new instrument I mean it's very easy for a screwdriver to slip and put a ding in the finish, etc. etc.

i guess you could maybe take it to your tech and see what he says? Though tell him to be careful in case it has to go back.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I cant afford a tech at the moment
no matter how you look at it, i got f*cked.
if i return the guitar, i still paid shipping both ways and 16% of the total price+shipping because of taxes OR i take it to a tech, who will probably tell me i need a new tremolo which costs 170$ on warmoth.com and ill have to pay shipping again
the moral of the story is, buy US/european made guitars, or buy nothing at all :/

anyways, can someone tell me how to remove the tremolo so i can upload pics of the posts and knife edges, so you guys can tell me if they are fine?
Quote by philipk
I cant afford a tech at the moment
no matter how you look at it, i got f*cked.
if i return the guitar, i still paid shipping both ways and 16% of the total price+shipping because of taxes OR i take it to a tech, who will probably tell me i need a new tremolo which costs 170$ on warmoth.com and ill have to pay shipping again
the moral of the story is, buy US/european made guitars, or buy nothing at all :/

anyways, can someone tell me how to remove the tremolo so i can upload pics of the posts and knife edges, so you guys can tell me if they are fine?

Take off the plate on the back of the guitar and check the springs are moving freely in there, sometimes there's plastic tubes over the springs to prevent rattle or maybe there's a bit of foam in there, check it anyway and make sure it's ok. Don't forget to work the whammy while looking.

If everything is good in there then it's going to need a couple of parts, I'll pull my spare floyd apart a bit later and give you some pics to show you what you need to check unless I can find a good link online. I'll be back. (as arnie would say)
Right so this is it dismantled, where the two arrows are, that's thge knife edges, they shouold have a nice pointy edge, if they're flattened they're damaged.

You don't have to dismantle it to check these but if they're damaged then that whole base plate is one of the parts you'll need, assuming you can get it on it's own.

This one of the posts, check the groove for any ridges

If you need to dismantle it remove these screws, all twelve of them and lay them down in order, be careful not to lose the little blocks that clamp the strings, the things the long screws from the back push against.

Once they're all off you'll see a row ow three allen key bolts, remove them and the block comes off, take note of any spacers that may come out. Finally remove this allen key bolt from the bottom, it holds the bush for the bar.

Take pics as you go for reference, keep all the parts in order and preferably somewhere they wont get knocked off and lost. The allen keys needed are a 4mm and a 3.5mm, good luck for now.
thats great and all, but how do i take the trem off?
also, why did you show me how to dismantle it if i dont have to? lol
Quote by philipk
thats great and all, but how do i take the trem off?
also, why did you show me how to dismantle it if i dont have to? lol

Loosen all the strings off, pop the springs out the back and lift the bridge out. I figured I might as well stick the pics up because I've taken it apart to give it all a good clean anyway and if you do need parts you can use the pics for reference. If you need to remove the bridge completely then those long bolts clamp the strings, just loosen them off and take the strings out. Be warned, tuning these things back up is fairly straight forward but it does take forever lol.
yeah, you don't need to dismantle the whole thing to check the knife edges and studs, as Twidler said, just loosen the strings (pop something rigid under the trem first so it doesn't collapse into the guitar's body- also be careful that whatever rigid thing you use won't mark the guitar's finish), remove the springs (you can loosen the springs a bit first to make it easier to get them out, i guess) and then the trem should just lift out.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i need to study for a physics test that i have tomorrow , so ill do it when i come back from school tomorrow
haha no worries, the physics is more important
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
haha no worries, the physics is more important

Yeh the physics of the guitar
well, i blocked the trem, loosened the strings, popped the springs out and carefully took off the floyd.
now i think i know why it doesnt ****ing stay in tune.

click to enlarge.
i hope the pictures quality are enough so you can see that the knife edges are completely ****ed up and the trem posts are in really bad shape too.
proguitarshop, i hate you.
yeah you too andy
i really dont know what to do now, do i send them an email demanding a new tremolo or what?
im so ****ing pissed.
i still cant freakin believe this happened to me.
It's just one of the disadvantages of not being able to buy local but that is most definitely a return job or at the very least they're liable for repairing it. I've only ever had that problem twice, one was the nut not fully tightened and the other was what you're looking at. The nut was an easy one but the other went straight back to the shop. I think that's when I got the jackson, can't be 100% but I think it might be. The worst one I've seen was a guy with a proper ibanez jem and the wood was actually damaged around the posts! Now that was really bad. Anyway get onto the shop and get the bal rolling and report back.
as i said before, its a bit far from me. about 14 hours on a plane.
i think ill ask them to send me a new floyd rose.
Quote by philipk
as i said before, its a bit far from me. about 14 hours on a plane.
i think ill ask them to send me a new floyd rose.

I know it's far, I wasn't suggesting you pop over to the shop, just get in contact and see what they say first. They might insist that it goes to a pro that they approve of because of the warranty etc.
oh wow, that's messed up

yeah that's your problem right there

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?