Page 1 of 2
I am not really familiar with a lot of the amp and sound aspects of guitar, what is the best head/cab combo i could get in the cheapest amount of money for this style of music.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Cause then I can half respect him obviously
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Ibanez tbx150h
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-tbx150h-tone-blaster-xtreme-guitar-amp-head

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-is412c-4x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet/480947000306000

I got free shipping on mine, luckily, but it should still come out to less than 600 WITH shipping. You won't get anything cheaper, but honestly, you'll feel like you should have paid more. I've never found a tone I couldn't get out of this amp. It's got a middle frequency knob that you can turn up and down, like normal of course - but then it's got a ring knob attached to that, which you can dial to an exact middle frequency, i.e. lower bassier middle, or higher more trebly middle.
peavey are good but bugera 6260, 6262 and some others are basicly like cheaper peaveys orange also but very pricey :/
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
bugera 333xl
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Can't go wrong with a JCM 800 clone (Laney AOR, Peavey made one, Sovtek heads, Red bear, etc) for hardcore. A JCM 900 would work too. Make sure to buy used. Look for a used Marshall 4x12 for a cab.
Quote by Roc8995
Give us a budget. You can't give us two variables and ask for the middle point.

Also, explain why you think you need a half stack.

And follow this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

well won't i get a better sound with a half stack then a combo amp? and more bang for my buck?
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
You can often pick up JCM900's pretty cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cloudkicker
well won't i get a better sound with a half stack then a combo amp? and more bang for my buck?

Way less bang for your buck in the "cheap" category. And no, you won't get a better sound with a half stack unless you're spending a fair bit of money. If you're playing large gigs you might need one, but in the lower price ranges, half stacks are for suckers.

Please give us more information.
Quote by Cloudkicker

No, not necessarily. Combos can sound great (and would be cheaper), but if you're playing diy punk shows, a halfstack isn't a bad idea.
Quote by Roc8995
Way less bang for your buck in the "cheap" category. And no, you won't get a better sound with a half stack unless you're spending a fair bit of money. If you're playing large gigs you might need one, but in the lower price ranges, half stacks are for suckers.

Please give us more information.

No more than $1000 is what i would like to spend and even thats pushing it. and i will be playing mostly at home and then progressing into my tri-state diy pop-punk hardcore scene hopefully.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Last edited by Cloudkicker at Oct 27, 2011,
Like Colin said, if you want a good halfstack, you'll have to pay good money. Below a certain price point, there's typically no point in getting one. A good used 4x12" cab will be 300€ and up, same for a decent used head" (naturally, it also largely depends on what your tastes are and what specific amps would work for you... prices also vary across the globe). Below the combined price of the two, there typically isn't much of a point in getting a halfstack - all you get is oversized beginner-crap in halfstack-form.

Tell us how much you want to spend and where you're located. We can look up stuff on the used market in your area for you.

Quote by diefordethklok
Ibanez tbx150h
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-tbx150h-tone-blaster-xtreme-guitar-amp-head

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-is412c-4x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet/480947000306000

I got free shipping on mine, luckily, but it should still come out to less than 600 WITH shipping. You won't get anything cheaper, but honestly, you'll feel like you should have paid more. I've never found a tone I couldn't get out of this amp. It's got a middle frequency knob that you can turn up and down, like normal of course - but then it's got a ring knob attached to that, which you can dial to an exact middle frequency, i.e. lower bassier middle, or higher more trebly middle.

This is likely one of the worst amps made by any of the major manufacturers that you can get nowadays. It's surpassed in crappiness only by the no-name beginner-amps that you'll see on ebay so much.
Also a half stack is when the can and head are together right?
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by Cloudkicker
No more than $1000 is what i would like to spend and even thats pushing it. and i will be playing mostly at home and then progressing into my tri-state diy pop-punk hardcore scene hopefully.

Heh, that's actually enough for a decent stack. A used Marshall or Avatar 4x12" and a Peavey XXX head. Should be... around 800 bucks combined?
Quote by Cloudkicker

I'd go 500 on the head and 500 on the cab.
You should be able to get some decent peavey gear and possibly laney (gh/aor etc) for the head but laney is probably more of a uk thing as far as cheap tube heads go.
I'd look into heads like the peavey ultra (i recently lent my ultra plus to a mate in a pop punk band for a while... while looking for a new head he was going to offer double what i paid for it to buy it off me but cause there rare here i wasnt having it), peavey triumpth, peavey butcher, peavey vtm, laney gh50l/100l/vh100r/aor series. You should be able to get all these under 500 or so leaving a big chunk of the budget for a nice used cab.

Whats your area?
I am not good with usa craigslist but im sure 311 or someone else thats good at that type of thing could help you.
Quote by Cloudkicker
Also a half stack is when the can and head are together right?

Lol, toilet.

Seriously though, a halfstack means that the amp (head) and speakers (cab) are physically seperate. Each in it's own box. Like this:

Typically, it also implies that the cab is a 4x12", though sometimes people will refer to combinations of heads with smaller cabs (2x12", 1x12") as a halfstack also.

If you have the amp and speakers combined in one box, it's called a combo.

EDIT: The Laney suggestions are good. I've got a GH50L and can recommend it. It's got a "classic" tone to it, great for hardcore. The JCM900 is also a standard-solution for punk, so it's worth a look - personally, I like the Laneys more, except when talking about the 900 SLX, which is a sweet piece of kit.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Oct 27, 2011,
Thanks for all the help, i can look on Craigslist and i live in lancaster,pa so there are a lot of local hardcore bands a bunch that are signed so i would not hesitate buying gear from them either.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Don't hesitate to post some heads, cabs you see and we can give you suggestions. (its not like we're going to nick them or anything i live in scotland... )
Quote by Cloudkicker
Thanks for all the help, i can look on Craigslist and i live in lancaster,pa so there are a lot of local hardcore bands a bunch that are signed so i would not hesitate buying gear from them either.

Aren't We Were Skeletons from around there?
I'd recommend a JCM900. If you need more gain than that, check out a Peavey Ultra, or an XXX.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
This seems like an incredible deal... it's not a perfect match, but I'd snatch it up for sure:
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/msg/2652992558.html

Otherwise, see if this guy is willing to sell for cash (500 is an okay price):
http://york.craigslist.org/msg/2637063064.html

Maybe this.... eh, I don't know, not typical for your genre, but worth consideration:
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/msg/2630214153.html

Here's a nice cab:
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/msg/2628613207.html

And a head + 2x12". This would work nicely for you, but I'd try and haggle a bit:
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/msg/2550165429.html
Quote by TheQuailman
Like Colin said, if you want a good halfstack, you'll have to pay good money. Below a certain price point, there's typically no point in getting one. A good used 4x12" cab will be 300€ and up, same for a decent used head" (naturally, it also largely depends on what your tastes are and what specific amps would work for you... prices also vary across the globe). Below the combined price of the two, there typically isn't much of a point in getting a halfstack - all you get is oversized beginner-crap in halfstack-form.

Tell us how much you want to spend and where you're located. We can look up stuff on the used market in your area for you.

This is likely one of the worst amps made by any of the major manufacturers that you can get nowadays. It's surpassed in crappiness only by the no-name beginner-amps that you'll see on ebay so much.

You have no idea what you're talking about. 0_0
Yeah, please don't buy a Toneblaster.

The suggestions people are posting are excellent. Don't get hung up on needing a half stack, though your budget will allow for a decent one if you're patient. That JSX and a 2x12 would be my suggestion.
My friend said their is no difference between my behringer combo amp and a half stack, why the hell would he say that if half stacks cost so much.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by phoenix_crush
Aren't We Were Skeletons from around there?

Yeah, im friends with their bassist. them, texas in july, august burns red, this or the apocylpse, pianos become teeth all from lancaster.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by diefordethklok
You have no idea what you're talking about. 0_0

And you payed 600 for an abomination of an amp.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Marshall 4x12 CAB

JSX COMBO

A couple JCM900 heads on guitarcenter.com/used for 600
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Last edited by bluestratplayer at Oct 27, 2011,
Quote by Cloudkicker
My friend said their is no difference between my behringer combo amp and a half stack, why the hell would he say that if half stacks cost so much.

Yeah no real difference if you're comparing to a crappy marshall mg half stack. But compare your Behringer GMX100 and the JSX, well. The linked used JSX head + a cab would rip your amp's face off for sheer loudness. And bury it a couple miles deep for tone.

Now if your friend meant that there's not a huge difference between a combo and a half stack of the SAME amp. Yeah, there's not a huge difference there. A JSX 212 combo weighs 80-90lbs, a head will weigh ~50 and a marshall 1960 4x12 will weigh about 75. It's usually much easier to do multiple trips with the lighter head & cab than one trip with the beastly 212 combo. As for the difference between the combo and a half stack, the half stack is going to have more bottom end (larger cabinet) and better sound projection.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Does the cab really matter what kind it is that much?
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by bluestratplayer
^Yes build quality really matters in a cab. Whitebox, Avatar, Mesa, and Orange are good cabs.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/2672399267.html

If you can get this guy to ship that would be godly.

are marshall cabs good too?
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Some. Don't get anything that was for a MG or AVT.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Some. Don't get anything that was for a MG or AVT.

I know for awhile some of the people i kinda know at guitar center were trying to lean me towards this, but i don't know if they are just trying to make a sale you know what i mean.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-HD150-150W-and-4x12-Guitar-Half-Stack-502594-i1470629.gc
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Thats a piece of shit. Don't let them talk you into anything man. Check those links I posted you earlier.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Page 1 of 2