Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you could give some intel about the generic sounds on these guitar brands:
- Jackson
- ESP
- Dean
- Ibanez
- BC Rich

Thanks!
Ibanez - Unless your willing to get a prestige series guitar then their stock pickups (INF series) is fairly noisy, if you get ibanez you have to change the pickups. Great body's and neck profiles though.

B.C Rich - Look cool, most people don't like how they sound

Dean - Haven't heard them in person but they look sweet and seems like they put in some decent pickups.

Jackson - My rhythm guitarist almost got one of these, great setup's decent pickups, makes for a well built/sounding guitar for lower cost these guys are good :P

ESP - Haven't heard in person but ESP is generally well received there in-house pickups are better then most, they like to use EMG's which a few people consider one trick pickups.
It really depends on what sort of budget you're talking about. for example a low end bc rich will sound muddy and you should stay away from them where as a more expensive one will have a clearer and brighter tone.

If you're just talking about the guitars in general I'd say jackson are the best from you're list, good combinaion of a solid, clear and bright enough tone with good playability and (most important of all ) look great.
Last edited by Roxxie Roxx at Oct 27, 2011,
I'm only experienced in Ibanez and Jackson to a degree, but I agree with the first reply- lower end Ibanez pickups are not the greatest, and you will want to upgrade. However the necks are quite possibly unbeatable for metal and shred
Pretty much all own brand pickups are rubbish and thats why they only put them in cheap guitars, any guitars by those makers with dimarzios, seymour duncans or active emgs is gonna sound good
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Ibanez - makes a lot of nice guitars for metal, but as a previous poster mentioned its not really worth it to mess around with the cheaper line of there guitars, the prestige line is what you want to look at but it costs $$$$

Jackson - is good stuff, I have no complaints there, as with any cheaper guitar dont settle for the first one you grab. With the higher grade ones I got absolutely no complaints at all.

ESP - should be self explanatory so many artists use ESP guitars today its unreal: Metallica, Megadeth (used), Slayer...so this is definitely a good area to check out.

Dean - My buddy owns a Dean Dime and it a real nice guitar, I am not a huge fan of the shape but when it comes down to business Deans are fairly nice to play. The Pantera ones come in some sweet southern metal styles too.

BC Rich - I will come clean, when I first started playing guitar 12 years ago when I was 13 one of the first guitars I demo'd was a Warlock, I didnt know anything about guitars but it was $300 looked bad as hell and Mick from Slipknot was using them so they were in, in my books. From what I hear they are garbage today, which is a shame I really enjoyed the body shape on them

I would look for these characteristics in a guitar for playing metal:

- H/H or H/S/H pickup configuration
- 24 frets
- Floyd Rose (optional, not reccomended for a first guitar as they can be a PITA to setup)
- Active pickups (EMGs, Blackouts) are always a plus

That pretty much covers all your bases (are belong to us!) push come to shove you can use any guitar for metal its just which ones look more metal then the others!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by ne14t
Ibanez - makes a lot of nice guitars for metal, but as a previous poster mentioned its not really worth it to mess around with the cheaper line of there guitars, the prestige line is what you want to look at but it costs $$$$

Jackson - is good stuff, I have no complaints there, as with any cheaper guitar dont settle for the first one you grab. With the higher grade ones I got absolutely no complaints at all.

ESP - should be self explanatory so many artists use ESP guitars today its unreal: Metallica, Megadeth (used), Slayer...so this is definitely a good area to check out.

Dean - My buddy owns a Dean Dime and it a real nice guitar, I am not a huge fan of the shape but when it comes down to business Deans are fairly nice to play. The Pantera ones come in some sweet southern metal styles too.

BC Rich - I will come clean, when I first started playing guitar 12 years ago when I was 13 one of the first guitars I demo'd was a Warlock, I didnt know anything about guitars but it was $300 looked bad as hell and Mick from Slipknot was using them so they were in, in my books. From what I hear they are garbage today, which is a shame I really enjoyed the body shape on them

I would look for these characteristics in a guitar for playing metal:

- H/H or H/S/H pickup configuration
- 24 frets
- Floyd Rose (optional, not reccomended for a first guitar as they can be a PITA to setup)
- Active pickups (EMGs, Blackouts) are always a plus

That pretty much covers all your bases (are belong to us!) push come to shove you can use any guitar for metal its just which ones look more metal then the others!

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head for everything. Except from what I am finding out recently is that most people hating B.C. Rich have never actually played one or heard one in person that was set up well and played through anything decent sounding. Of course there are a lot of people that have played and heard them plenty that dont like them but I think a majority are just jumping on the bandwagon of hating them.
You can't just give a "generic" sound of a guitar BRAND. That's so broad of a question it's retarded. Guitars THEMSELVES? yes, you can compair them, but to give a whole guitar company a "sound", that's just stupid.

All the companies are fine, including Bc Rich, a lot of hate on them is from bandwagoners and people who just play on the low end shitty ones, higher end Bc Rich's are damn nice.

Give better info so we can answer your question.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Darkdevil725
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head for everything. Except from what I am finding out recently is that most people hating B.C. Rich have never actually played one or heard one in person that was set up well and played through anything decent sounding. Of course there are a lot of people that have played and heard them plenty that dont like them but I think a majority are just jumping on the bandwagon of hating them.

Cant expect gold from a $300 guitar regardless of its brand!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by ne14t
Cant expect gold from a $300 guitar regardless of its brand!

True, but you can expect Gold if you put some elbow grease into your prospecting.
Quote by Tango616
You can't just give a "generic" sound of a guitar BRAND. That's so broad of a question it's retarded. Guitars THEMSELVES? yes, you can compair them, but to give a whole guitar company a "sound", that's just stupid.

All the companies are fine, including Bc Rich, a lot of hate on them is from bandwagoners and people who just play on the low end shitty ones, higher end Bc Rich's are damn nice.

Give better info so we can answer your question.

If you want guitar models, I can name you some that pleased me:
- Jackson KV2T;
- Jackson SLH2
- ESP Eclipse 2 (the distressed and the VB versions)
- Ibanez RGA
- Ibanez RG3550M (not sure 'bout the model, but it's the prestige with di marzios)
- BC RIch MOckingbird
- Dean Michael Ammot
- Dean Dave Mustaine

What do you think now? Can you give me your opinion?
Thank you all for your help. I'm thinking more on a high end approach, do you think your opiniions are the same??
Depends what you're in the market for.

For working mans guitars I recommend Schecter and LTD guitars. For around the $1000 price point you get a great, solid guitar with boutique pick ups. I personally recommend the Hellraiser and Blackjack series from Schecter, and the "Deluxe" series from LTD!

Good luck!

Also: Ibanez are great guitars, terrible pick ups...and the Ibanez I had has fallen apart. That's just my personal experience. RG321, for the record. The neck is beast though, the hardware just sucked donkey nuts.

Jackson are great, older ones are better; check out Charvel. They just released a great series for metal. http://www.charvel.com/guitars/?section=desolation&bodyShape=Single%20Cutaway
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Quote by Lespagnol3105
If you want guitar models, I can name you some that pleased me:
- Jackson KV2T;
- Jackson SLH2
- ESP Eclipse 2 (the distressed and the VB versions)
- Ibanez RGA
- Ibanez RG3550M (not sure 'bout the model, but it's the prestige with di marzios)
- BC RIch MOckingbird
- Dean Michael Ammot
- Dean Dave Mustaine

What do you think now? Can you give me your opinion?

MUCH better.

The two jacksons are quite good, never had a problem with any jackson, let alone higher end one.

The ESP eclipse would also be very good if you're into the LP shapes.

I don't have any opinions on Ibanez, they're just not my thing, I don't know a lot about them.

Which mocking bird?

The Deans would also be pretty good if you like sig stuff, but I'd say try to aim a tad away from sigs unless they're the exacts specs you want, You tend to pay a bit more for sigs.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Jason_Clement
Depends what you're in the market for.

For working mans guitars I recommend Schecter and LTD guitars. For around the $1000 price point you get a great, solid guitar with boutique pick ups. I personally recommend the Hellraiser and Blackjack series from Schecter, and the "Deluxe" series from LTD!

Good luck!

Also: Ibanez are great guitars, terrible pick ups...and the Ibanez I had has fallen apart. That's just my personal experience. RG321, for the record. The neck is beast though, the hardware just sucked donkey nuts.

Jackson are great, older ones are better; check out Charvel. They just released a great series for metal. http://www.charvel.com/guitars/?section=desolation&bodyShape=Single%20Cutaway

You will not get boutique pickups from either brand. Dimarzio and seymore duncan are not
boutique manufacturers. An ltd for 1000$ is a complete rip off.
What kind of sound are you going for??

If you're looking for old school metal def. Jackson.
Once you're looking at a higher end price point, a guitar from any one of those companies is going to be a good instrument, unless you happen to pick up one of the very rare duds that escape the factories from time to time.

It's all personal preference. I'm a Jackson Guy, so I'd head straight for an SL2H.

If you're not sure, play as many guitars as you can. What we think doesn't matter compared to whether you like it or not.
As mentioned above shecters are another great option for mid-priced guitars, they use Ducan Design pickups(most of Shecters lower end stock pickups) and are actually really impressive for stock pups.

I had a HB-102 set with my C-1 and they where 10x better then the INF set from ibanez. If I was to describe them I'd say they are great all rounders, the bridge has the power to pump out rock and metal and is a bit on the warm side almost like a PAF but with more bite and less treb. The neck is great for things on the jazzier side of things but still provides great tone for solos and has a great range giving you the flexibility for almost anything.

I have since replaced the stocks pups with Dimarizos (Dual Sonic<b> and a PAF 36 anniversary<n> and I now have a guitar and amp that can produce just about anything I want from the more jazzy leads(slash, Santana) to almost any type of metal like Pantera or Opeth.

So if you ever figure out what type of tone your looking for I would recommend getting a cut-down Ibanez prestige or a Shecter down the road and just do a pick-up swap. Both provide amazing quality bodies and solid hardware at the $600-850 range, with a new set of pickups you can get exactly what you want and have a guitar under $1000 mark that can perform as well if not better then most $1500+ guitars.
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Oct 27, 2011,
Quote by Tango616
MUCH better.

The two jacksons are quite good, never had a problem with any jackson, let alone higher end one.

The ESP eclipse would also be very good if you're into the LP shapes.

I don't have any opinions on Ibanez, they're just not my thing, I don't know a lot about them.

Which mocking bird?

The Deans would also be pretty good if you like sig stuff, but I'd say try to aim a tad away from sigs unless they're the exacts specs you want, You tend to pay a bit more for sigs.

Do you think the Eclipse with the Seymour's would be a good option? Or the one with EMG's is better for the sound I'm looking for?
emg's excell at metal..but you must try them before you commit, some people just don't like em..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
I think it would be a bit better for versitility I suppose the duncans would be better, but its preference. What sound are you looking for anyways other than just metal I'm guessing. EMGs do metal VERY well, but without the 18v mod, some people find them a bit stale, again, preference.
ಠ_ಠ

I have an Ibanez S470 and really like the feel of it -- it is very light and comfortable to play. In particular, I really like the whammy bar, which is a slightly different take on the floating whammy: instead of balancing spring tension against two metal edges, it uses a ballberring system for really smooth action.

... similar to comments above, the bridge humbucker pickup is noisy. But I do like the HSH configuration in general.
This thread =

TS, you cannot just generalize with brands. Many brands literally make every kind of guitar out there.

Also, it's very important to realize that a guitar is going to have a relatively small affect on your sound. Your amp is what gives you your tone. The pickups - and to a lesser extent body woods/hardware - in the guitar just add a bit of nuance to that tone.

The main purpose of a guitar is to feel good in your hands. Leave the sounding good part up to the amp. Once you find a brand or style of guitar that feels good to you, then worry about how the guitar sounds.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
This thread =

TS, you cannot just generalize with brands. Many brands literally make every kind of guitar out there.

Also, it's very important to realize that a guitar is going to have a relatively small affect on your sound. Your amp is what gives you your tone. The pickups - and to a lesser extent body woods/hardware - in the guitar just add a bit of nuance to that tone.

The main purpose of a guitar is to feel good in your hands. Leave the sounding good part up to the amp. Once you find a brand or style of guitar that feels good to you, then worry about how the guitar sounds.

As true as all this is I would like to remind OP to keep in mind how the pickups react with the wood and how much sustain is derived from that type of wood, some types of pickups just are not made for certain types of wood and perform poorly because of that.

So although wood type is not a priority in guitar construction, it's important to consider what possible upgrades and advantages that the wood might provide.

But I 100% agree with offworld92 that playability and comfort comes before anything else, especially when you are looking into electric guitars. If you don't like your tone then that can be fixed by either the AMP or Pickups.

I currently have an acoustic I got for a great deal and has spectacular tone but I often find it many times harder to play compared to most acoustics due to fret/body-size.
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by BigHeadClan
As true as all this is I would like to remind OP to keep in mind how the pickups react with the wood and how much sustain is derived from that type of wood, some types of pickups just are not made for certain types of wood and perform poorly because of that.

So although wood type is not a priority in guitar construction, it's important to consider what possible upgrades and advantages that the wood might provide.

But I 100% agree with offworld92 that playability and comfort comes before anything else, especially when you are looking into electric guitars. If you don't like your tone then that can be fixed by either the AMP or Pickups.

I currently have an acoustic I got for a great deal and has spectacular tone but I often find it many times harder to play compared to most acoustics due to fret/body-size.

Thanks for the help guys! Based on what was said, I'm between the Jacksons and the Eclipse 2. I really like the Les Paul Shape, but I preffer the Jackson's neck (I have A Jackson Dk2 and I love the neck!). Do you know the differences between both necks?
Quote by Lespagnol3105
Thanks for the help guys! Based on what was said, I'm between the Jacksons and the Eclipse 2. I really like the Les Paul Shape, but I preffer the Jackson's neck (I have A Jackson Dk2 and I love the neck!). Do you know the differences between both necks?

From my experience ESP and Jackson have pretty similar neck profiles.
Quote by Lespagnol3105

The ESP neck is rounder; fuller. It's also gloss finished, as opposed to the light coat of whatever (basically unfinished) Jackson neck. I'd say they're different enough for you to go to a store and try them out. Almost any ESP will have the same neck as the Eclipse - Mainly it's just the M series that don't.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Lespagnol3105
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you could give some intel about the generic sounds on these guitar brands:
- Jackson
- ESP
- Dean
- Ibanez
- BC Rich

Thanks!

Jackson: Kind of the quintessential '80s superstrat company. Expect a floyd rose, neck through body or contoured bolt on necks, hot pickups, and a fairly bright tone.

ESP: More modern looking (both flat and carved top superstrats, metal-ified LP and SG like shapes), a bit like Jacksons but considerably more modern sounding (darker and fatter).

Dean: The MLs, Cadillacs, and Razorbacks are somewhat reminiscent of a Gibson. However most of the cheaper ones are quite shit.

Ibanez: Similar to Jackson in most respects, but their stock pickups on everything that isn't a prestige model is pretty crappy. Trems are USUALLY good, but the Edge III is a piece of crap.

BC Rich: Don't bother with anything low end. Upper end ones are pretty decent and are kinda just generic metal tone - think Gibson Flying V/Les Paul for the V's and Mockingbirds, Jackson for the Gunslingers.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.