I'm not sure if this thread has been created before (inb4 notthisthreadagain.jpg) but, I was wondering what you guys think about the way we are conditioned by popular paradigms in music, so that we view other forms of music as 'wrong'

I don't necessarily mean this in a 'genre' sense but, more of a 'theoretical' sense.
For example: 4/4 is considered to be the norm in music, because it's so often used by nearly everyone; in turn, people who grow up listening to music in 4/4 will see it as a paradigm and see most other forms as 'wrong'.
However, if someone grew up listening to pieces of music solely in 5/4, 7/8, 13/8, etc, would they view that specific time signature as the paradigm and view 4/4 as the 'wrong' time signature, because that's how they're conditioned?

The same can be said about scales. Most western music revolves around the diatonic scales, however, alot of non-western music employs many diverse scales. Some of which span more than whole octaves.

So, what do you guys think about the way music conditions us? Do we just naturally gravitate towards 4/4 (and, less often, 3/4 and 6/8)?

Tl;dr: Do you think growing up around certain forms of music, which encorporate many similar themes, conditions us to view those themes/elements of music as paradigms?

EDIT: I'm not just talking about time signatures, I just used them as an example.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Last edited by Crazyedd123 at Oct 27, 2011,
Because ever rocks can rock out to 4/4. It's the universe's beat bro.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
The forms that I see wrong are in the songs that suck ass. Other than that I listen to whatever I enjoy too. Hope that makes sense
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
i often hear 3/4 songs, and they sound just fine to me. I don't even know it's 3/4 until I count the beats
Quote by darkstar2466
Because ever rocks can rock out to 4/4. It's the universe's beat bro.

I was going to reply back, asking what the first sentence meant, but your description made me smile

OT: If someone was raised in a household where they only played songs like 'Take 5' or '15 Step', do you think they'd find it more natural to play in those songs' time signatures?
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
grew up listening to 4/4 now a big Dream theater and rush fan. i think time signatures was a bad example
I would think so.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

#wolfie2017 #freegyros #gifsftw G7#9
I think they would because it's like all culture stuff, everyone else's culture seems weird compared to the one you were brought up with. Except Japan, because they actually are just weird. It's gotta be the same theories in music though
Quote by Crazyedd123

OT: If someone was raised in a household where they only played songs like 'Take 5' or '15 Step', do you think they'd find it more natural to play in those songs' time signatures?

Yep. Check out where Dave Brubeck got his idea for his song "Blue Rondo a la Turk:"

Quote by Wikipedia
Brubeck heard the unusual "1-2/1-2/1-2/1-2-3" rhythm performed by Turkish musicians on the street. Upon asking the musicians where they got the rhythm, one replied "This rhythm is to us, what the blues is to you."

The culture you grow up in definitely impacts your tastes. But it's cool when things mix, like when we got jazz and the blues.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
If I ever have a kid I'm gonna lock him in a room and only play stuff in odd time signatures

HE'LL NEVER LEARN THE BEAUTY OF DANCING!!!
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat