I currently have a classic 50 2x12 that I've done some of the mods on from blue guitar.com i.e. upgraded the capacitors for better tone. At one point the ribbon cable connecting the power amp circuit board was a bit damaged and the amp had a really good sound with heaps of filth, can anyone explain why?

It was only on the dirt channel and I've since replaced the damaged cable.

Second question is can I do any upgrades to get more gain and less compression or is this just a characteristic of the EL84's?

I'm handy with a soldering iron

Does anyone know of more mods that can be done to this amp?

And finally it still has the original peavey blue marvel speakers, what would be a better option for an allround better sound?

Thanks in advance
What kind of 84s are in it?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Yeah, you could swap out some tubes. And a speaker swap probably wouldn't be a bad idea.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^I thought the Blue Marvel speakers were supposed to be pretty good?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
They're alright. I would imagine some Celestions or Webers would sound better. But yeah, what tubes do you have in it?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Oh yeah Im sure they would be an improvement but I would assume if tubes are original that they might be in a desperate need for change.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
The El 84's are just box standard electro harmonix and I'm pretty sure the preamp ones are too. It's had some new ones because one of the El84's was duff and creating bad noise. It's not really flat sounding and I'm not getting any wierd microphonic stuff going on. it's also had hardly any stage use, mostly been around the house and at a friends.
I would pick up some JJ el84s. Maybe a 5751 for V1 preamp and couple JJ's for the other positions.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I was just thinking too, would I need a matched quad set or just two pairs? it has four El84's for the power section.

I'm just checking the jj's out now.
Matched quad. I like tubedepot.com personally. If you don't want to spend the cash for a Phillips 5751 the I would say all JJs unless you hunt ebay for some NOS 12ax7s.

Edit: actually just saw you are in scotland so nevermind tubedepot. also this is all just my opinion on some I know from personal exp or from some good ppl on here.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I buy my valves from tubedepot anyway, they're cheap to bring over and arrive within 3 days. I've bought a few from them for other folk as well as mine so that's not a problem. I'll check out their stock in a bit and read up on some of these valves, cheers.
Good luck. Also, if your budget allows, I would highly suggest some NOS el84s. The JJs are IMO the best new el84s for the price but thats mostly because they have no competition.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I'll price up the jj's, it usually works out quite well though because of the dollar pound thing.

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciate it.
Well after a bit of googling I've contacted a place called eurotubes, the reviews for the guy and his JJ tubes were really good so I've asked his recomendation for a full set and price.

Cheers
Wow! Got an email back today and the guy sounds like he really knows his stuff, he described the sound of my amp to a T. I'll be getting the JJ's ordered as soon as I can, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Once again thanks for the help.