Sounds like a good deal to get the ampeg tone.......... BUT there are no sound clips with the gain cranked (seems pretty common with bass amp demos). So my question is will it sound like or similar to an SVT with the gain cranked?
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Quote by summerson1
Sounds like a good deal to get the ampeg tone.......... BUT there are no sound clips with the gain cranked (seems pretty common with bass amp demos). So my question is will it sound like or similar to an SVT with the gain cranked?

The SVT sound comes from saturated power tubes, and seeing as the Micro VR doesn't have any, it won't really get anywhere near the real thing.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I've played through one and in the flesh they're pretty terrible, nothing much more than a gimmick in my opinion. Sound far too tinny/harsh no matter what you do with them. I'd spend your money elsewhere.
It's how they rip you off, brah....they make it look like 'hey, you can get massive svt sound out of this bite sized little amp so you don't have to buy a gygantor head and cab set'. That's obviously too good to be true...
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
If you want a real classic ampeg sound, its not for you. But in terms of being a good sounding, affordable, portable amp, I recommend it. I do not, however, recommend you loan it to your dumbass stoner friends and they somehow mess up your power supply.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Damn, seems like the most economical way to get the SVT tone is to get the VT bass pedal, or plop down the dough for the real thing...... well, i guess i'll have to search ebay or craigslist. There's no way in hell i'm spending 2 grand just for an amp and cab.
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Idk if size is an issue as well or just funds, but a sansamp Vt or bass driver make that tone. If you need an amp and Size and lack of funds get the MB 200 and a 2x10 or something. no size matter look into used old peaveys, they aren't tube, (well some) but they have a nice starting tone that's clean yet lo-fi and able to get angry and not sound bad
I had the Micro-VR for a few months. Sold it a couple of weeks ago actually.
It's a good head, not anything spectacular though. I liked my old MB200 a lot better. I never tried it with the matching cab but from all the testimonials I've heard the cab is a piece of shit. I only ever ran it with my Ampeg 610 and it just sounded OK. It absolutely will not get you a SVT sound, as previously mentioned the Tech 21 VT Bass will be your best mate for that on the cheap.
There were a few things about it that pissed me off. The aux in will only output through the headphone out, unlike the MB200 which will pump it out of the cab and the headphone out. I never really felt like I was getting 200 watts out of it either, my Ashdown Little Bastard can get louder than the Micro-VR ever could at only 30 watts, granted it's a valve amp.
In short, if you want an overpriced practice amp that sounds nothing like an Ampeg SVT. GO FOR IT! If you want a 200 watt "micro" head, get the GK MB200. The only reason I got the Ampeg was for the effects loop and it wasn't worth it.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Its not size, just funds. I'm having a daughter in january so I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get that svt tone. As far as size and wattage, i got a white faced peavey firebass layin around........... looks like i should get that fixed.
Quote by Bass First
If you're just bashing around at home just get a cheap usb audio interface, some nice headphones and "acquire" a copy of Amplitube Ampeg SVX. It sounds great. I use it for learning songs and practice when everyone else has gone to bed.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Any tips on "acquiring" said software? I checked the price and even though $129.99 is better than the price of the head and cab, getting it cheaper helps. Also what usb interface do you recommend.
Quote by Bass First
Just get something from M-Audio. It's cheap enough while not being awful.

Also I thought you could sign up for some free version of Amplitube, but don't take my word on that.
You can but it doesn't have the ampeg SVT model. If i get the free version I'll still have to spend $25 to get the amp and cab models.
Quote by Bass First