Hi,

I am asking about proper vibrato technique on electric guitar when holding the neck 'classical guitar' style, with the thumb positioned in the middle of the neck. I'm used to playing classical guitar so I naturally position my thumb there, and unless it is really recommended otherwise, I would prefer to keep it as my default position. That being said, I have watched a number of instructional vibrato videos explaining the proper technique when holding the neck like a baseball bat, but none really when holding it classical style.

I know that the proper vibrato technique should be done in a rolling motion of the wrist, but unless I hold the neck baseball style with my thumb giving support, it is very hard to do.

So for those of you who hold the neck with the thumb in middle instead of wrapped around, what vibrato technique do you use? Do you simply mix up your stances, keeping classical style as your default, and wrapping your hand only when doing heavy vibrato?

Thanks
yeah my thumbs always behind the neck except when i bend/vibrato then i wrap it around
Would you say that you wrap it for almost all of your bends, or only when you know you will be doing a lot of them?
Ideally you should wrap the thumb for support on all bends and vibrato. There are some cases when you won't have time immediately but once you get used to it switching the grip to the right one for the moment will feel entirely natural.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Ideally you should wrap the thumb for support on all bends and vibrato. There are some cases when you won't have time immediately but once you get used to it switching the grip to the right one for the moment will feel entirely natural.

This.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
my kind of vibrato is my thumb moves freely. just like Eric clapton i found that method comfortable to me
Quote by imbaguitar
yeah my thumbs always behind the neck except when i bend/vibrato then i wrap it around

that's how i do it, and i also Michael angelo batio saying that that is the proper way to do it to
Mine stays behind the neck even if I'm bending - find it so incredibly awkward to bend with my thumb over the neck "baseball bat" style. I think people say it's better because that's what they always learnt. I always learnt bends with my thumb behind the neck, and I find that better. So ultimately, I don't think it makes a difference, it's just whatever you practice and get used to. If you generally play with your thumb behind the neck, I'd say stick with practicing bends with your thumb behind the neck as it reduces the amount of weird movements your left hand has to do. Having said that, everyone else on the thread has said the opposite so.. it's up to you.
Quote by mdc
^ Are you self taught or did you take lessons?

Took lessons at first (a year and a half maybe), then self taught for a while (a few years), and now I take lessons again (since Feb).
For larger bends or wider vibrato, you'll want to consider the baseball bat grip, since it affors you more support and strength for your fingers. However, for smaller bends and vibrato, keeping your thumb behind the neck is no disadvantage. I've found that I have a lot more control over my vibrato playing with my thumb behind the neck at all times. Since I rarely use bends larger than a whole step, I don't really have to shift my grip for bends, either. However, ideally, you should be able to do both, since that opens up more options in your playing.
hate to steal the thread, but i always find myself doing vibrato and sometimes bending strings while using classical technique - most of the time succesfully , since i have to be 10 times more careful because the thumb is not there for the extra comfort and support -

Would there be negative aspects - like injuries - if i keep practicing like this? its actually giving me cool results.
All my bends and vibrato have my thumb in classical position; that's how I was taught and I find if I put my thumb over "base-ball bat" grip, I have absolutely no control. That's what my guitar teacher taught me 5 years ago.