Ok i understand that i have to match my amp head to my cab, especially if its a tube amp. I've been wanting to hook up my fender champ600 to my blackheart cab. I actually want to get another blackheart 1x12 cab to have a stack for my handsome devil. now if i have just one cab its 16ohm and if i have 2 its 8 ohms. Even with both I cant plug my champ into it as the output on the champ is 4 ohms. What i want to know is if there is a device or something i can rig up that can let me hook into the cabs and lower the impedance? like a dummy load? So if i have just the one cab maybe i can hook up something that lowers the impedance by a factor of 4 and have my 16ohms or maybe if i have 2 cabs i can lower it 2 and have my 4 ohms. I don't want to replace the speaker in the champ nor do i want to get a separate cab just for it. This is something i just want to do "cause i can"
no i get that... but i dont have 2 8ohm speakers... if i bought another cab i would have 2 16ohms which makes it 8 ohms. I completely understand how the ohms and such work and how to wire a cab to have diffrent ohm levels. Iam just wondering if there is something i can do to add a dummy load? like have just one speaker at 16ohm hooked up to a dummy load, lowering the impedance to 4ohms and then into the head thats 4 ohms? instead of having to buy a separate 2x12 or 2 1x12 cabs that are 8 ohms

what i want to do here is not buy a separate cab, space is limited.
what size of cab/cabs do you have now, and what size of cabs are you planning to buy?

also, what are the individual impedance of the speakers in said cabinets?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150
what size of cab/cabs do you have now, and what size of cabs are you planning to buy?

also, what are the individual impedance of the speakers in said cabinets?

i got a 1x12 16ohm and iam planning on buying the same thing to have a stack with my handsome devil
well, in theory you could take a resistor or something to simulate a dummy load, but it would probably make it very quiet. id just try to sell your speakers on craigslist and get two 8 ohm speakers
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
well, in theory you could take a resistor or something to simulate a dummy load, but it would probably make it very quiet. id just try to sell your speakers on craigslist and get two 8 ohm speakers

hmm thnx for the help... i dont plan on selling the cabs as i use them with another amp. i'll keep a lookout on a cheap 2x12 cab, something i can switch out the speakers for or something similar perhaps.
^^ not sure why it would make it quieter?

Quote by zamanakhan
i got a 1x12 16ohm and iam planning on buying the same thing to have a stack with my handsome devil

I think you may want to look at something like this:

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/zmatch.htm

But honestly, your comments about the Handsome Devil is making this more confusing than it needs to be. Can we just focus on the Champ or is there some reason we need to worry about the Blackheart too?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

But honestly, your comments about the Handsome Devil is making this more confusing than it needs to be. Can we just focus on the Champ or is there some reason we need to worry about the Blackheart too?

i shouldve clarified just a bit more, my answer was just theoretical, and what led me to that thought process is the fact that a volume knob is basically a variable resistor, and when you turn your volume down, resistance goes up. it might not be as drastic as that, because were dealing with 10s of ohms here vs hundreds or thousands. and that impedance matcher is interesting i was unaware of this device.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

this is really cool... any experience with it? its perfect... exactly what i want...

i bit on the expensive side... but REALLY cool...
Last edited by zamanakhan at Oct 27, 2011,