I usually leave my guitar lying up against the wall in a corner of my basement when I'm not playing it. I came home today and after a while I decided I wanted to turn on another light, which happens to be close to the spot where my guitar rests. So I turn on the light and there turns out to be a leak from the ceiling and water splashed all over my guitar's body. No joke, it looked very wet. I was very busy and still am so I left it on a chair with the pickup side of the body facing towards the floor, hoping it would help drain some of the water out. It's no expensive guitar, but it's still my guitar and the only one I have and will have until I save up enough for a new one. Any tips on how to dry it up and make sure that the electronics work properly?

It wasn't a lot of water, but I'm sure that it could mess up my axe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I won't be able to respond right away so just leave the best advice you can give and I'll get back to you guys as soon as possible.
make sure the guitar is dry before plugging in again.

then plug in and see how it goes.

post back if any issues.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Open up your control and trem cavity (if you have one) and soak up any water that's in there with a cloth or towel of some sort. And letting it set and dry is a good thing too (I'd give it a good day or so).
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Response to title: You shouldn't have been fingering it so much.

... I'll leave now.

That was something I didnt really want to read...

aaaaanyways.

Your electronics should be fine, water cant do much damage to electrical stuff unless there is power running through it. If I were you I would be worrying more about getting the guitars wood dry. As someone else suggested try using a blow dryer on a cool setting. Leaving the guitar there was probably a pretty bad idea as you just gave the water even more time to soak into the wood.
Quote by Darkdevil725
That was something I didnt really want to read...

aaaaanyways.

Your electronics should be fine, water cant do much damage to electrical stuff unless there is power running through it. If I were you I would be worrying more about getting the guitars wood dry. As someone else suggested try using a blow dryer on a cool setting. Leaving the guitar there was probably a pretty bad idea as you just gave the water even more time to soak into the wood.

My guitar has a black finish. Not a matte finish, and the water was just sitting on the guitar in small drops. I wiped a lot off but I hope it didn't sink into the wood. I just took the strings off and now I'm going to clean it since it has so much dirt caked on it and it got stained by the water that leaked on to it and dry it. Basically a full clean up and hopefully the electronics aren't damaged.
Its fine. I would, however, pull out the pickups anddry everything with a rag before letting it air dy. The wood is probably fine, but water on metal parts can cause corrosion.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's prolly be fine, most guitars are completely sealed with poly, especially if they are cheap.

Even most relatively expensive guitars are poly finished. Oil and Nitro are quite uncommon among production guitars outside of Gibson doing nitro.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Even most relatively expensive guitars are poly finished. Oil and Nitro are quite uncommon among production guitars outside of Gibson doing nitro.

What I'm seeing is the poly is built into the paint, like they are doing on automotive. They mix clear coat with the paint, so they don't' have to layer it on. So even the pickup cavities are sealed, even if the paint there is rough.

More expensive guitars will have the paint first, and then coated with poly.
They're still sealed with Poly, either way. Funny you mention that, my Squier had a pretty obvious clear coat over the color coat.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
They're still sealed with Poly, either way. Funny you mention that, my Squier had a pretty obvious clear coat over the color coat.

Its' just something I've noticed on newer cheap guitars. My 2006 Squier has the clear built into the paint, it doesn't look like it till you start to grind away at it, and it fills your sander with black as you sand through the clear.
Haven't read the thread to see if its been suggested, but if it's got recesses in the back for the electronics, uncover them and either make sure there's not moisture and put them back, or leave them off until it dries out.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Its' just something I've noticed on newer cheap guitars. My 2006 Squier has the clear built into the paint, it doesn't look like it till you start to grind away at it, and it fills your sander with black as you sand through the clear.

My squier was an early 2006 model... who knows.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Kurt-Corgan

... I'll leave now.

Hehe, that's a good one!

Anyway, I hope the neck didn't get water on it. For the body, wipe out the water and leave it alone to dry for some days. I would not recommend a hair-dryer as someone said: brutal humidity changes (also drying) are not a good thing.

Good luck.
D: Please tell me it had a gloss coating! Definitely do NOT plug it in until you're sure EVERYTHING is dry. If it doesn't work after that take it to a guitar tech and you might need electronics.

NOW, to get into the scary part....
If it got onto the neck and had time to soak it could have warped the neck and you might have some serious issues so I would definitely check that out asap, as for fixing it I don't really have a clue I'm sorry :\ But as long as nothing is warped your worst might be some new electronics.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony
Epiphone SG G-400
Schecter C-1 Blackjack Diamond Series
Fender CD140SCE
Peavey ValveKing 112
Unless your guitar has active pickups, I honestly don't see how a tiny bit of water can do any damage to your guitar. The worst that will happen is you'll get corrosion/rust on any metal parts.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MadDistortion

NOW, to get into the scary part....
If it got onto the neck and had time to soak it could have warped the neck and you might have some serious issues so I would definitely check that out asap, as for fixing it I don't really have a clue I'm sorry :\ But as long as nothing is warped your worst might be some new electronics.

It's not that scary considerering 1 most necks are coated and 2 he said there were only a few droplets of water. Not the contrary implying he dropped his guitar into a pool.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan

... I'll leave now.

"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
It should be grand :P Sure, Rory Gallagher's famous strat spent quite a while in a ditch...
Quote by dann_blood
Proof he's a communist! He finally comes out, the nazi!