Page 1 of 2
I'm into pink floyd, guns n roses, muse, nirvana. which guitar is best suited for me to buy? my budget is about $800 and I don't mind buying used at all.
go and play some... see what is best suited to you.

they are 2 really different guitars.

maybe latter on you could buy the other one too... a few years down.
---
Quote by Robfreitag

i came in here to say this

but if i were you id get the strat (cause i likey the strats)
Strats are going to have a tremolo and the single coils will sound thinner and the alder body will be brighter. The neck is bolt-on maple.

Les Pauls are stoptail fixed bridge and it has humbuckers. It will sound thicker. The mahogany body and mahogany neck will sound warmer.

the strat has a longer scale than the LP so it will have a bit more tension on the strings.

Generally, if you want a more "rock" sound, the les paul will be better suited for that. If you are into the cleaner blusey stuff, the strat will work better.

As far as quality, an USA made strat is roughly about the same as a Gibson USA made Les Paul.

Honestly, it's up to you. They are both great guitars. Try them out and go with the one that feels and sounds best to you.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
if you like both then get the strat. in general, you can get a better quality strat than les paul for the same price, when youre below custom shops
Yeah, its already been said but the best thing to do is definately go try them both.

Guitar shops can be a little intimidating but all the staff ive ever met are nice as pie
neither guitar will cover all those bases perfectly. i'd decide which tones are a priority and make my choice based on that. a single coill strat is great for pink floyd but no way on GnR. a Les Paul will cover some of those bands but no way on pink floyd.
Someone ought to make a Les Paul vs Strat sticky. It seems to be a popular topic.
Quote by W4RP1G
Someone ought to make a Les Paul vs Strat sticky. It seems to be a popular topic.

maybe but i would have thought that seeing how they are such different guitars that it would be obvious. it seems like a total n00b ? to me.
Quote by monwobobbo
maybe but i would have thought that seeing how they are such different guitars that it would be obvious. it seems like a total n00b ? to me.

It is a noob question, but it's a very popular noob question that seems to be asked a lot on this board.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Quote by Ragu35
It is a noob question, but it's a very popular noob question that seems to be asked a lot on this board.

well yeah but even to a noob it shouldn't be to hard to figure out that they are different.

i would think that a beginners thread to buying a guitar based on the players you like might be more productive. the strat vs LP debate is kinda fruitless and doesn't in the end really answer the base ? being asked. what guitar is will get me the sounds i like. this is what it really comes to.
Well, if you don't have a strat or les paul go try both and choose.

If you can't make up your mind then get a used MIM standard strat and a new/used epi LP or a used gibby lp faded. Problem solved
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Get a strat with a humbucker or a Les Paul with p90s

Things are getting complicated now.

If you're into like pink floyd and nirvana fender is obviously what they all used and the look would suit you more but they both have a very nice sound. The strat sounds more classical and the les paul is what slash from guns n roses uses as it gives a bit of a more rock tone but les pauls are popular because they can be used for anything from blues to metal. I myself am a les paul standard owner so I would obviously have to say Les Paul all the way but play them both and decide from there. Les Paul might be a bit out of your price range unless you get a studio, my les paul standard was around $2200.

Good luck
Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony
Epiphone SG G-400
Schecter C-1 Blackjack Diamond Series
Fender CD140SCE
Peavey ValveKing 112
A strat will cover Pink Floyd, Muse and Nirvana. A Les Paul only specializes in GnR.

But really... it's not like these are the only two guitars in the world. Go to a store and play everything you can get your hands on. Go and find out for yourself what you like, and what feels good to you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
David Gilmore plays a strat and uses a big muff distortion pedal for the distortion sounds. I think Muse's guitarist & Slash both play LPs. Isn't a telecaster used for Nirvana?

In my opinion, strats are more versatile. But I prefer the feel of strats. LPs with their shorter scale length feel mushy to my fingers, but this probably doesn't mean anything more than the fact that I have grown accustomed to play strat-style guitars.

If you are looking for a strat feel, but want to play more hard rock tunes, then get a fat strat -- a strat with a humbucker on the bridge. The other pickups can be single coils to get a variety of tones.

An awesome entry-level fat strat guitar is the Yamaha Pacifica -- a good beginner guitar for the budget.
Get a used Strat and a used LP like JKHC said
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get a Les Paul that comes with aftermarket pickups like a Epi that has real Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups or something that will come as a 4 wire conductor, take the guitar to a tech and ask them to put in push/pull pots and tap them humbuckers so you can make em into a single coil thats how you cover all your bases here. Cause as mentioned I know Kurt used a Strat and David Gilmour used a couple different strats. Be forwarned though anything with single coils will hum like a mofo. I just got a strat today and it hums loud especially with lots of gain.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
1. Buy affinity strat you like (this is key: play it in the store and get the one you played)
2. Put Irongear humbucker and P90 in it (or GFS if you're in the US)
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by ne14t
Get a Les Paul that comes with aftermarket pickups like a Epi that has real Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups or something that will come as a 4 wire conductor, take the guitar to a tech and ask them to put in push/pull pots and tap them humbuckers so you can make em into a single coil thats how you cover all your bases here. Cause as mentioned I know Kurt used a Strat and David Gilmour used a couple different strats. Be forwarned though anything with single coils will hum like a mofo. I just got a strat today and it hums loud especially with lots of gain.

Split humbuckers don't sound like single coils, just weaker output humbuckers.
Quote by griffin888
Split humbuckers don't sound like single coils, just weaker output humbuckers.

Sorry I will admit I was wrong in haste, coil split them not coil tap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker#Coil_splits
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Last edited by ne14t at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by stonyman65
Strats are going to have a tremolo and the single coils will sound thinner and the alder body will be brighter. The neck is bolt-on maple.

Les Pauls are stoptail fixed bridge and it has humbuckers. It will sound thicker. The mahogany body and mahogany neck will sound warmer.

the strat has a longer scale than the LP so it will have a bit more tension on the strings.

Generally, if you want a more "rock" sound, the les paul will be better suited for that. If you are into the cleaner blusey stuff, the strat will work better.

As far as quality, an USA made strat is roughly about the same as a Gibson USA made Les Paul.

Honestly, it's up to you. They are both great guitars. Try them out and go with the one that feels and sounds best to you.

He just perfectly summed it up but to add to that if your into british music/rock then LP if ur into american or blues you want a strat, personally i prefter the darker tone for the LP as for stuff like GnR/ slash or led zepplein the strats can be a bit too thin in my opinion so i prefer the think dark LP sound i have an epiphone les paul standard and when i do upragde its definetly gonna be a gibson les paul !
Quote by Twistedrock
1. Buy affinity strat you like (this is key: play it in the store and get the one you played)
2. Put Irongear humbucker and P90 in it (or GFS if you're in the US)
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!

God, that sounds horrible.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Robfreitag

It's like comparing a Dodge Viper and a Corvette, they've always been put against each other, and both say they are the best, but each is better at certain things.

So what am I saying here? Get both, problem solved....If anything, get a HSS Strat.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's like comparing a Dodge Viper and a Corvette, they've always been put against each other, and both say they are the best, but each is better at certain things.

So what am I saying here? Get both, problem solved....If anything, get a HSS Strat.

Even still, so much of a Les Paul's tone is it's body. A humbucker in a strat will not sound like a humbucker in an LP. It's an option to try to bridge the gap, but it's a rickety-ass rope bridge at best.
neither would be a mistake but spend some time with each and try them out. I would go 2 or 3 different times to see if your opinion changes. It is a big investment but just spend some time and see which one is best for you. At this level of guitar it does really come down to personal choice... they are both really solid good guitars.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by JustRooster
Even still, so much of a Les Paul's tone is it's body. A humbucker in a strat will not sound like a humbucker in an LP. It's an option to try to bridge the gap, but it's a rickety-ass rope bridge at best.

Exactly, that's why you get a Mahogony body with Flame maple top HSS Strat, best of both worlds.
Kurt Cobain actually used a wide variety of Fender electrics: Teles, Strats, Mustangs, Jaguars and designed a chimaera called the Jag-Stang.

Whatt about something with a SSH or some splitable humbuckers? It won't be exact, but it will get you close to being able to echo your favorites.

If you're the handy sort, get a Carvin Kit- regularly $450, now $399- and swap out some pickups and add coil-splitting. Heck, some of Carvin's in-stock stuff is within your budget...

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/group.php?cid=SB&dir=R&sort=price
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Get a strat and throw some texas specials into it, they're the hottest single coils I've ever played, and they're very versatile, from thick bluesy sounds, to even rock humbucker sounds with the right settings.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Exactly, that's why you get a Mahogony body with Flame maple top HSS Strat, best of both worlds.

Except you don't get the punch of the Alder or light weight...
Quote by JustRooster
Except you don't get the punch of the Alder or light weight...

The punch entirely depends on the pickups you choose for it, I can make it punchy and twangy just by the pickups and a little EQ.

The light weight...well, my strat ain't all the light, but like I said, best of both worlds.
I think an Epi les paul standard with upgraded pickups would work well....assuming he got pickups that were fairly low output.

If you were willing to look at something a little different....PRS SE Custom 24 might fit the bill and be able to get a fairly wide range of tones, plus you'd get the tremolo. Can be had under budget, especially used, which could be used for upgrades like locking tuners....just something to think about.

And I'm shocked no one asked this....what amp/pedals do you have?
Maybe a Blacktop Telecaster? Those things kick serious ass and are very versitile. You'll get Fender tones and a good ballsy LP like tone.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Dec 25, 2011,
Quote by Myaccount876
Maybe a Blacktop Telecaster? Those things kick serious ass and are very versitile.

I feel like a Blacktop Strat would make more sense given the topic.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
these threads are always like Deja Vu...
what you really need is a new amp!
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by 3074326
I feel like a Blacktop Strat would make more sense given the topic.

Yeah, but I find that the Blacktop Teles would be closer to a LP tone than a Blacktop Strat. Teles just have more sustain IMO.
They're two very different guitars that are both very good at what they do. I prefer Les Pauls because of their thicker necks, warmer tones, and greater sustain. However, Strats are great if you want that pop that you get out of single coils that you can't get out of a thick-bodied LP (I don't like the way that Strats play; I prefer Teles for single coil tones, but that's just my opinion). Honestly, the best way to test which is best for you is to go out and play a lot of both of them. On your budget I think you could get a new American LP Studio or a Mexican Strat.
Quote by Myaccount876
Yeah, but I find that the Blacktop Teles would be closer to a LP tone than a Blacktop Strat. Teles just have more sustain IMO.

Sustain is more of an individual thing than something that you can pin to a certain style of guitar. It's a combination of factors and it has little to do with specific make's specifications. My Ibanez RGA42 has as good of sustain as my MIA Tele and Tele's are commonly known for their sustain.

I would probably get a LP, it's not like you can't hit Nirvana tones with it. Kurt was never one who was super particular with tone or sounding a certain way. If you watch his live performances there's a great deal of difference between them throughout. A HSS strat would be ideal, but then you wouldn't be able to hit some of the tones you're after and I think overall an LP is more versatile.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Page 1 of 2