i want to do a marshal kit from weber but before i fork over $500 i want to know if there is a cheaper starter kit i can do. I have a hard time reading schematics and dont want to start on something that's expensive. Is there anything available for less than $150 for a tube amp kit?
dunno if less than 150 but theres some tiny (5w) tube amps at good prices new i think vox has 1
You could probably get a tube preamp kit for under 150 and then run it into a cheap solid state amp power amp if you just want to try building something cheap to get some experience. Or another option might be to take a look at tone pad. i believe they have a layout for a 18 watt tube amp but it might cost more than 150 to put together, also i believe ted weber has some amps of their own design that might be cheaper and more along the lines of a first amp kit/cheaper practice.
You should avoid screwing with tube anything until you get familiar with working with electricity, high voltage, and schematics. I'd start on some low watt SS amps cause if you do shock yourself, you wont be dead.

Tube amps hold enough voltage to kill you, so it's not for the incompetent.
he's no't opening it (guess) and i don't think being good enough on guitar to have a tube amp has anything to do to know about electricity
it's like saying u can't watch old big tv's bk they keep enough voltage to kill u if u touch the condensator
Last edited by STEGMAIER at Oct 27, 2011,
Quote by STEGMAIER
he's no't opening it (guess) and i don't think being good enough on guitar to have a tube amp has anything to do to know about electricity
it's like saying u can't watch old big tv's bk they keep enough voltage to kill u if u touch the condensator

Don't speak of what you don't know. The filter caps in tube amps can be well over 400 volts at several amps, and it only takes .1 amps to kill you dead.

A tube amp kit is basically you are given the parts, and you have to put it together.

TV's haven't been made with tubes since the 70's, so no, modern TV's don't hold the voltage to kill you, most are digital, and run off of a 5 volt circuit board.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Don't speak of what you don't know. The filter caps in tube amps can be well over 400 volts at several amps, and it only takes .1 amps to kill you dead.

A tube amp kit is basically you are given the parts, and you have to put it together.

TV's haven't been made with tubes since the 70's, so no, modern TV's don't hold the voltage to kill you, most are digital, and run off of a 5 volt circuit board.

lol tv's will kill you. they will kill the shit out of you
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
most people looking for a "cheap" option should disregard making one themselves. they'll end up having to spend more than they thought they'd spend. but not spending means not finishing. and it'll look like crap if there isn't enough money and experience involved in the build.

if you find building things fun, go for it. that's what it's for, at least i thinkso.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ethan_hanus
Maybe if it's still plugged in, and you stab it with a oversized screwdriver.

I got zapped flat on my ass from the caps in my old TV, my girlfriend flipped the plug cable over and it hit my chest, nailed me through the shirt. Anything with a vacuum tube still has large caps. (The screen is the tube!) I was going to donate it to goodwill as it was only 2 years old, but after dropping it and myself on the floor the plastic casing was ****ed up.

Also the Steg guy is an idiot. You missed his point. He was saying tubes aren't for newbs building on their own, not by level of guitar skill.
Quote by R45VT
I got zapped flat on my ass from the caps in my old TV, my girlfriend flipped the plug cable over and it hit my chest, nailed me through the shirt. Anything with a vacuum tube still has large caps. (The screen is the tube!) I was going to donate it to goodwill as it was only 2 years old, but after dropping it and myself on the floor the plastic casing was ****ed up.

Also the Steg guy is an idiot. You missed his point. He was saying tubes aren't for newbs building on their own, not by level of guitar skill.

I didn't know that about tube screen TV's, but I'm talking about the old old days where the circuitry was actually a bunch of vacuum tubes like you'd see in a tube amp.

I see what he was saying, which totally was not what I said.
They will kill you.

I doubt LCD or Plasma have caps that large, but I don't know for sure and therefore will not be testing it.
Quote by R45VT
They will kill you.

I doubt LCD or Plasma have caps that large, but I don't know for sure and therefore will not be testing it.

Me neither. I know they have to have a ballast in them, and those hold a crap tone of volts and amps, cause they take a minute to fire up, just like florescence lights.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I didn't know that about tube screen TV's, but I'm talking about the old old days where the circuitry was actually a bunch of vacuum tubes like you'd see in a tube amp.

I see what he was saying, which totally was not what I said.

TV's are a lot more dangerous than a tube amp. Instead of 200-600 volts it's more like 10's of thousands. Although tube amps can have higher current. I've gotten shocked a couple times though (from a tube amp) and I'm still kicking, NOT THAT EVERYBODY IS INDESTRUCTABLE (just me), just saying. And it's not just the caps, but also, don't dick with it when it's on. And be very very careful of metal cased tubes!!!
The fella isn't building a TV. He wants to build an all tube amp.

An all tube amp has hundreds of volts that float around 80% of the circuitry.

Considering he has trouble reading a schematic diagram, I'd have to agree that such a project probably isn't the best idea for a novice.

Even if he doesn't kill himself, invariably something will be connected incorrectly being a first timer. And an incorrectly finished tube amp goes bang in the most wonderful fashion.

So I'd backup the recommendation that throwing yourself into tube amp building with little prior general electronic experience probably isn't the best idea.
waay to hijack the thread... i was just wondering if there were any cheaper alternatives. I have worked with electronics before, i used to build computers and rig up fans and pumps and lights separately connected to the powersupply, so i have experience with electronics i just have a bit of a hard time reading schematics. Especially some of the ones weber has up. something simpler would be nice thats all.
I tried to find something to help you but this was the best I could find. The amp the guy sounds pretty good, I bet it would sound pretty sweet with some distortion. http://www.instructables.com/id/Guitar-Tube-Amp/
Quote by zamanakhan
waay to hijack the thread... i was just wondering if there were any cheaper alternatives. I have worked with electronics before, i used to build computers and rig up fans and pumps and lights separately connected to the powersupply, so i have experience with electronics i just have a bit of a hard time reading schematics. Especially some of the ones weber has up. something simpler would be nice thats all.

Apologies. But you didn't mention any of that. Read your own original post and even you have to admit you come across as a complete electronics newb who has trouble reading schematics and hasn't built a tube amp before.

The responses reflected your content. You should take heed of what people wrote before thinking they were just out to hijack your thread
Firstly, building computers is basically electronics lego. You need a good understanding of schematics to build valve amps, or else they will never work/explode/kill you. Learn how to do that first, build a couple of pedals/9V stuff that won't hurt you.

Secondly, what sort of amp are you looking for?

Thirdly, old tvs are lethal from the charge stored in the filter caps, newer ones have switch-mode power supplies which (from what I hear) are also fairly lethal.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
For cheaper you could look at the P1 from ax84. It is a pretty good first amp to build and was my first tube amp. I didn't have a lot of electronics knowledge when I started, but I spent days just reading the theory document and learning everything I could before starting.

Building a computer today doesn't mean you have any electronics knowledge. You better be ready to be extremely careful. You need to learn what you have to be careful about. There are a ton of ways that you can get hurt with a guitar amp. Does anyone that will be around know CPR? A shock from a guitar amp is dangerous, and possibly lethal.

As for the side discussion about TVs. The new ones will also "kill the shit out of you". Most of them have a SMPS which can have huge voltage on the input side. Hell... a simple battery charger today can kill you well. The input side of an SMPS is often 400-600Vdc. They also have to have filter caps which store voltage.
Last edited by XgamerGt04 at Oct 28, 2011,
MOD kits has a 5 watt tube amp kit for $200ish.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I vote, build an amp. There is no better way to learn how to do it then building it. Yes be careful, yes you'll have some "Oh shit!" moments, but you'll learn. I highly doubt any of the guys saying don't do it have either a. built a tube amp and had the build go flawlessly or b. they haven't ever built one.
Id suggest before building anything that you learn how to properly read schematics because when shit hits the fan more often than not they will be one of the first places to look for a solution to the problem.