hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place, but well since you guys write lyrics and songs im guessing a lot of you sing.

so very simple question, is singing something you can learn?
i dont expect to sound like eddie vedder or something like that, but i want my horrible voice to sound decent.

did any of you learn how to sing? any tips or advice?

thanks!!!
I got lessons and they helped a lot. getting someone who knows what to do and how to teach is the best and quickest way to improve.
---
As long as you're in-tune and use proper technique, it's hard to legitimately sound bad. I mean, look at Lemmy, he's breathing through a hole in his neck and is one of the most iconic vocalists ever.

There are natural barriers to overcome and such, just like any other instrument, and it's best to have a teacher to get you through it, but with the right dedication you can get a lot done, even if it just means singing backing vocals in a 10-person venue with the Mr. Bungle tribute band you found on craigslist.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
As long as you're in-tune and use proper technique, it's hard to legitimately sound bad. I mean, look at Lemmy, he's breathing through a hole in his neck and is one of the most iconic vocalists ever.

There are natural barriers to overcome and such, just like any other instrument, and it's best to have a teacher to get you through it, but with the right dedication you can get a lot done, even if it just means singing backing vocals in a 10-person venue with the Mr. Bungle tribute band you found on craigslist.

lol wut?.. are you for real?

that gives me hope bro.....how do i make sure im in tune and proper technique?...(ive tryed googling this stuff but its always too much overwhelming and sometimes contradictory)

all ive found is breathe right ( ), and stand up straight.....

and yea guys, i know a teacher would help me a lot, unfortunately right now i dont have the resources for that....i'll try to see if theres a singing related club in my uni or something.

other than that, im guessing practice would help, although im not sure what to practice
Quote by davem27

all ive found is breathe right ( ), and stand up straight.....

That's a good place to start, actually. A lot of technique in singing is in good breath support, and unless you've already played a wind instrument, that's a big obstacle when you're starting out.
Quote by Cavalcade
That's a good place to start, actually. A lot of technique in singing is in good breath support, and unless you've already played a wind instrument, that's a big obstacle when you're starting out.

played trumpet in middle school but that was a long time ago. i read somewhere breathing from the stomach??...whatever that means?

i dont expect a class here, just any basic tips, or hints that you found helped you when you started
Something that I've found makes it easier (particuarly in hitting falsetto) is having a big lung capacity - which you can train your body to do no matter where you are - start when you're walking, breath out completely and then slowly breath in until you can't, counting the steps (say, 7) and then walk, holding it for 7 steps, breathing out slowly for 7 steps and not breathing for 7 steps - then breathing in again. You will notice that over a few days you'll go from 4-5 steps to 7-9 steps really quite easily.

Also, you can't beat vocal lessons. I had three 1 hour sessions with a vocal coach who taught me all sorts of proper techniques, warmup excercises and such, I improved more in three hours of teaching than I did in a few years of self-taught practice.
But. you can't teach someone to have perfect pitch, some people are horrible singers and no matter what they'll never sound good :P If you're not tonedeaf, you can be taught because your voice is just another instrument, you have to practice it too
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
yes you can learn to sing.

for more information check out the Singing forum in the Musician Talk section. this is in the wrong place. no big deal, just make sure to read the rules before posting.

*closed*