Page 1 of 2
So I just got a mandolin I ordered off MF today, I purchased it hastily after my friend informed me she wanted to start a folk band. We're playing at a fundraiser for some church a week from tomorrow and I'm working to get a few songs ready for then. Anyway, I figured any mandolin players could discuss things here.

Any tips for someone just starting out?
Favorite mandolin songs to learn?

Inb4 Losing my religion.
Inb4 ultimate-mandolin.com
Inb4 you can't inb4.
Some Bright Eyes would be cool. Dance Tonight by Paul McCartney.

Just learn the chords, look up guitar tabs, play the chord it says to. Mess around with it and stuff. Mumford and Sons fits sounds nicely with a mandolin.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by epiless
Inb4 Banjo is cooler

Inb4 the rest of the thread.

The banjo and mandolin are equally cool.
Quote by SlayingDragons
The banjo and mandolin are equally cool.

...oh, you're serious...

anyone who recommends anything other than bluegrass in this thread is terribly misinformed.

learn this TS.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Weaponized
You keep posting the same song over and over

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Weaponized
whenever you recommend bluegrass

i've never recommended that song ever before.
Quote by theogonia777
i've never recommended that song ever before.

Oh... I guess

that's just cause

all bluegrass sounds the same

Quote by devourke

Sierra is fantastic, and she's also one of the nicest people you'll meet. She was in my year at college for a while and every time I talked to her I was impressed at how humble and down to earth she is.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Just look up mandolin tab sites. They have all the basic/easy/good songs

Stick with the instrument too. Gets me maaaaaad pussy
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by ~Mr Brownstone~
I have a mandolin-banjo which is pretty similar. Going to California and The Battle of Evermore by Led Zeppelin are pretty fun to play.

*Banjolin I came very close to buying one second hand about a year ago. I still regret not doing so but oh well.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
I bought a mandolin for 40 quid in an antiques shop a while back. I checked and it's about a hundred years old

I'm currently in the process of making it playable
Quote by Weaponized

Oh wow

Dat setup
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Just learn guitar songs on the mandolin. More impressive than learning losing my religion or the average popular mandolin tune.

Try Purple Haze. Do the riff and between each part of the intro riff do a triplet chord stab.

Hope that makes some sense to you fellas.
Get a pick up on it and use an e-bow.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by Weaponized

Anyway, do something by Bob Dylan. Always goes down well, and can be played almost anywhere.
Learn to play Leaving Town Blues by Rory Gallagher.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlNraocvj8w
The Watchman by Seth Lakeman, I think that's a mandolin.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
If you don't learn the end of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want by The Smiths, then we're not friends.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
I'd love a mandolin at some point. One of my friends has a mandolin and a bouzouki, and another one has a banjo. Makes me feel kinda left out, just having guitars and a bass. So 'normal'.

I've been looking into maybe getting a lute. I love lutes. And they're cheaper than harpsichords...
Quote by ~Mr Brownstone~
I have a mandolin-banjo which is pretty similar. Going to California and The Battle of Evermore by Led Zeppelin are pretty fun to play.

+1. I have a banjolin too.

But once you know all the chords, play everything song you know on guitar
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Quote by SleepTalkinMan
Quote by sglover34479
Any tips on playing in keys like B and Ab? I'll be damned if my sausage fingers can bare on this neck. Is there a type of chord that you can just move up and down the neck and keep the same shape?

Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
mariners revenge song

E major and fmin are kind of obnoxious barre chords on mandolin but it's a great tune.
Also if you want some traditional americana look at whiskey before breakfast which i play alot on guitar and mandolin.

Use mandolincafe.com it's UG for mandolin
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Quote by Weaponized
all bluegrass sounds the same

sure it does. and next you're going to convince me that all AC/DC albums sound the same?
Page 1 of 2