Page 1 of 2
And our group cant choose a good song to play
We play all kinds of music, from metallica to the strokes etc

We're looking for a nice simple song that the fans will love, singing thats not too difficult and fun. Any genre is good, just not metal or hard rock cause the crowd probably wont be entertained.

We have 2 guitarists, a drummer and a bassist. The guitarist will be the singer too.

Any suggestions? Currently thinking of 12-51 by the strokes
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by lockwolf
Write your own?

Unless it's already a well-known song, audiences prefer cover songs.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by skylerjames13

My band's never played a cover song to date.
Dont think the audience will be liking our own songs :p
They wont be able to relate to it or sing along

Originally posted by GOD
Quote by skylerjames13

Where the hell do you play? Where I'm at, its all about originals
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
battle of the bands are terrible contests. You're judged on how well you can please the average person who knows little to nothing about music, and cares about music just as much.

If you have any integrity in your band:

a) don't support such a sham
b) play a song based on something else other than "what will please the audience." Obviously, you reduce your chances of winning, but in this case winning is losing.
Last edited by technicolour at Oct 28, 2011,
Quote by technicolour
battle of the bands are terrible contests. You're judged on how well you can please the average person who knows little to nothing about music, and cares about music just as much.

b) play a song based on something else other than "what will please the audience." Obviously, you reduce your chances of winning, but in this case winning is losing.

Ding ding ding!
Exactly. This is why we need those crowd-pleasing songs that will help us win the crowd. But we also dont want to do it to the extent that we 'lose'.

EDIT: We did our own thing last year (and rocked) but didnt win. This our last year in school so it would be great if we achieved something, even if it meant selling out.

Originally posted by GOD
Last edited by akm_202 at Oct 28, 2011,
Quote by lockwolf
Where the hell do you play? Where I'm at, its all about originals

where the hell do YOU play? you're telling me that not once during your set does someone yell at whole lotta love or some other song that's been played to death?
Quote by technicolour

Is it possible that a band could be able to play songs they enjoy, and win a Battle of the Bands?
Quote by technicolour

I wouldn't say all Battle of the bands are bad. My bands playing one in a week. Its a 30 minute set (all original) and since the prize is studio time, its judged on more than "Does the crowd like the shitty cover you're playing?" Of course, it helps that were stacking the audience with like 100 fans but still
Quote by akm_202
Ding ding ding!
Exactly. This is why we need those crowd-pleasing songs that will help us win the crowd. But we also dont want to do it to the extent that we 'lose'.

EDIT: We did our own thing last year (and rocked) but didnt win. This our last year in school so it would be great if we achieved something, even if it meant selling out.

Play a mo-town song, or something by Procal Harum, CCR, etc.
Last edited by technicolour at Oct 28, 2011,
Quote by devourke
Is it possible that a band could be able to play songs they enjoy, and win a Battle of the Bands?

Yes.
Last year a group played sweet child o' mine. It was mediocre at best, but they went in the finals which I found annoying.

We wont stoop that low, but we are willing to bend a bit.

Originally posted by GOD
Quote by devourke

it's certainly a possibility, but speaking in terms of probability, the more your cater to your audience (which I assume is your average high school audience) the less musical integrity you will sustain.
Go up on stage play with all your hearts and be pissed and break shit people love that. Random show I played in high school my mic for backing vocals was cutting out and at the end of the song I took my guitar and just swung it at the mic stand people loved that. Although I had to buy a microphone for the venue. I got the one I hit it just has a dent in the wind screen from where it flew across the stage...I'm not saying wreck other people's equipment though...I was young, stupid, and angry at the time and wouldn't ever do that to someones elses' equipment in retrospect....
Quote by akm_202
Last year a group played sweet child o' mine. It was mediocre at best, but they went in the finals which I found annoying.

We wont stoop that low, but we are willing to bend a bit.

Rebecca Black's Friday. It'll get the crowd going
Quote by technicolour
it's certainly a possibility, but speaking in terms of probability, the more your cater to your audience (which I assume is your average high school audience) the less musical integrity you will sustain.

So if I enjoyed playing Pop songs I would have no musical integrity? Even if I didn't enjoy playing anything else?
Quote by technicolour

God forbid people try to please other people or make them want to dance.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by devourke
So if I enjoyed playing Pop songs I would have no musical integrity? Even if I didn't enjoy playing anything else?

No, if you played a pop song for the sake of impressing your audience you would have no musical integrity. However, I can't think of any pop songs that have much artistic merit (in terms of music), but I don't listen to much pop, so I have little experience with anything other than the radio hits.

On another note...if all you enjoyed playing (and I assume listening to) was pop music, then in another way, yes you would have no musical integrity because you only accept one facet of music (pop), and ignore or dismiss every other style/facet. Unless of course you respected the rest of simply couldn't "get in to anything else" ..but that'd be pretty..weird.
Quote by rockingamer2
God forbid people try to please other people or make them want to dance.

God forbid people see anything wrong with jersey shore.

note: I'm not comparing all pop music to jersey shore, but stating that music created for the lowest common denominator is as degenerative as that tv show.
Quote by technicolour
God forbid people see anything wrong with jersey shore.

note: I'm not comparing all pop music to jersey shore, but stating that music created for the lowest common denominator is as degenerative as that tv show.

What, should music not be produced for "the lowest common denominator?" Screw that. Sometimes I just want to dance and sing along to a catchy melody.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by blake1221
My band's never played a cover song to date.

I prefer originals myself as well.
But the average audience member prefer cover songs.

I'm not saying that you should play covers, and that they are the best thing to play. I'm just saying it's usually better received by the audience compared to originals.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by rockingamer2
What, should music not be produced for "the lowest common denominator?" Screw that. Sometimes I just want to dance and sing along to a catchy melody.

Sometimes sure, but in a contest that is supposed to showcase music as a whole, why should that be a suitable option?
Quote by technicolour
Sometimes sure, but in a contest that is supposed to showcase music as a whole, why should that be a suitable option?

A battle of the bands is not by default meant to showcase "musical integrity." If it's a popular vote, then play something that can appeal to everyone's taste. But if there are judges that are actually evaluating a band on certain criteria, then you should cater to them.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
A battle of the bands is not by default meant to showcase "musical integrity." If it's a popular vote, then play something that can appeal to everyone's taste. But if there are judges that are actually evaluating a band on certain criteria, then you should cater to them.

that's like having a high school science fair and awarding the grand prize to the kid who made the baking soda/vinegar volcano. Because most of the student body will think hox gene expression "sounds too boring and complicated."
i have hated these battle of the bands (only good one was in school of rock)/talent shows/whatever. They are all just popularity contests in which the douchiest posers go up on stage to impress people and make themselves feel better, during which i sneak out of school and go to 7/11 with some friends.

anyway, you are a sellout if you decide to choose mainstream garbage that you don't even like. play the songs you love. if the audience hates it, **** them. you had fun.
Float on by modest mouse, everyone loves that. Or some arctic monkeys is good too
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by technicolour
that's like having a high school science fair and awarding the grand prize to the kid who made the baking soda/vinegar volcano. Because most of the student body will think hox gene expression "sounds too boring and complicated."

Are you seriously comparing a battle of the bands with a science fair?

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by akm_202
Dont think the audience will be liking our own songs :p
They wont be able to relate to it or sing along

ewe sing-a-longs are gay
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by skylerjames13

Wrong. We wrote a shitty 3-chord song for battle of the bands a few years back with some incredibly awful lyrics where everyone else played covers. We got third place for being original.
Quote by lockwolf
Write your own?

I was about to say this. Isn't a battle of the bands normally about bands playing their own songs?

Otherwise, do something like DaniCalifornia (always got the crowd going for me) Message in a bottle, some blink 182..megalomanic or wish you were here.
Normally for those things, some good pop rock songs work.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Last edited by Krieger91 at Oct 28, 2011,
Defeated Sanity - Engulfed in Excrutiation
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Enter sandman - metallica
or
ace of spades - motorhead
or
hot for teacher - van halen
or
hells bells - AC/DC

... basically any high energy well known metal staple will get everyone cranked up.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Page 1 of 2