Hi, I'm in search of a phaser pedal to use to "enhance" my lead tones (like Zakk Wylde and EVH) and was wondering which out of the EHX Small Stone and MXR Phase 90 would be better. I'm currently leaning towards the Phase 90 as that's what Zakk and Eddie use, and I've yet to come across an EHX pedal that does subtle.

Which one would you guys reccomend? Any other suggestions (under £100 please)? If it helps I play hard rock and metal and want to give my lead tones a bit more "character".

Thanks
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
First of all, there's no such thing as subtlety when it comes to EHX. J Mascis once said he uses them because,"You know immediately that something has happened."

The MXR Phase 90 is perfectly adequate, but you might look into a Malekko Omicron Phase.
Quote by pinheadslts75
First of all, there's no such thing as subtlety when it comes to EHX.

Quote by pinheadslts75
The MXR Phase 90 is perfectly adequate, but you might look into a Malekko Omicron Phase.

Thanks for the suggestion but I can't seem to find one in the UK.
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
For use with leads the mxr phase 90 or evh phase 90 or script phase are hard to beat for the price.

I like the small stone for cleans better personally; but for zakk wylde/evh definitely check out the mxr phasers. EVH and Wylde both have signature phaser by the way. I've never tried the wylde one though
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
For use with leads the mxr phase 90 or evh phase 90 or script phase are hard to beat for the price.

I like the small stone for cleans better personally; but for zakk wylde/evh definitely check out the mxr phasers. EVH and Wylde both have signature phaser by the way. I've never tried the wylde one though

The Wylde phase is just a Phase 90 with a different finish, Zakks name on it and a higher price tag IIRC. I might check out the EVH phaser, thanks for the suggestion.
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
IIRC, the EVH phaser is just a normal Phase 90 with a button to give it a slightly different sound (not really worth the extra money IMO). On the other hand, the Phaser 90 setting on my M13 is my cure-all for when I can't figure out how to make a part sound right. I say get one and buckle up.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I have the EVH Phase 90.
Works for me.
That button changes sound from "Vintage" and "Modern", or something like that.

Vintage sounds better IMO.
EVH Phase 90 is the best thing on my board.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I would agree with the Phase 90. I have both the Phase 90 and EXH Small Stone. The Small Stone is lovely for clean sounds as it's very smooth. The Phase 90 is slightly more 'aggressive' sounding and does boost the treble, so much so, I did the R28 mod to make it slightly more subtle. But if you're using it for leads then I'd say go for it.
This thread is relevant to me, I was interested in getting myself a Phase 90. I reckon the EVH one is better as well; that switch on it really makes a huge difference.
West Ham United
Just wanted to throw that out there for the hobbyists in the crowd.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah I'm really jealous of your abilities. Wish I could save cash by making my own stuff and just that general feeling of using a solid, handcrafted pedal.
West Ham United
Well, there's only one way to learn. Jump in head first and try it. You may surprise yourself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by King Donkey
Yeah I'm really jealous of your abilities. Wish I could save cash by making my own stuff and just that general feeling of using a solid, handcrafted pedal.

Not in the same league but I just built a pedal board and saved myself about $250 no clue about wood working or anything, just jumped in and tried it.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
True. Wouldn't really know where to start though. I was awful when I did Industrial Arts, didn't have the steady hand or measuring skills for it. Then I'd also have to go and buy all the gear.
Quote by Eppicurt
Not in the same league but I just built a pedal board and saved myself about $250 no clue about wood working or anything, just jumped in and tried it.

That's sweet, man. Care to post a picture?
West Ham United
"All the gear" is a soldering iron and a drill.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was talking more about those bits and pieces that you need to put inside the pedal, the capacitors and resistors and whatever the hell else goes on in there.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey

That's sweet, man. Care to post a picture?

*Note - the EVH Phase 90
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by King Donkey
I was talking more about those bits and pieces that you need to put inside the pedal, the capacitors and resistors and whatever the hell else goes on in there.

That kit I showed you comes with a parts list and everything can be bought from small bear. I've built a TS-808 using one of their boards, they aren't bad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Just wanted to throw that out there for the hobbyists in the crowd.

Thanks for that link, it looks like it will be real handy, I just bought about $100.00 of general parts from Radio Shack. Got a handful of breadboards too. Time for me to start building a few pedals of my own. Gotta replace my soldering iron first.

On topic more... I've been thinking of getting an MXR Phase 90 for a few months now. I thought (and still do) that it was one of the pedals that Mark Knopfler used. I saw a pic of some of his gear and there was an MXR pedal, just not 100% sure which one it was. I really like the sound whatever it is. I'll have to look into it more before I go trying to build one.
Quote by Eppicurt
*snip*
*Note - the EVH Phase 90

I'm going to have to try and make something like that one day, very cool. I also spy the Toyroom tubescreamer and wah from the NPD thread.
Quote by Cathbard
That kit I showed you comes with a parts list and everything can be bought from small bear. I've built a TS-808 using one of their boards, they aren't bad.

Hm I guess I'll have to give it a go eventually then. Like you said, never know what's going to happen unless I jump in.

As a side note, I really derailed this thread.
West Ham United
Quote by Eppicurt

big difference in building a pedal board and building a pedal. I would rather spend time playing than trying to construct a pedal IMO its not worth the time
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Oct 28, 2011,
evh is phase 90, as far as i'm aware

if you want to cheap out, the joyo one is actually really nice for the money (like... £25 or so). Far as i'm aware (which is not particularly aware ), it's a phase 90 clone.

If you want complete vintage accuracy, i'm guessing either the script reissue, or maybe that whirlwind one, might be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?