Hey! I have a Yamaha Pacifica 012. Agathis with Rosewood Fret Board. I saw these too good pickups and there is a nice price difference between them. 70$ and 120$. So I know that the SH-6 is for guitars with a warm wood(agathis is the cheaper version of mahogany like epiphones and gibsons right?) but im not pretty sure about the D-Activator. Ill be playing high gain stuff and will be modding the bridge humbucker. And I dont want my guitar to be muddy or quality less when playing in high gains. Typically, which one is better? Ill be using the guitar for rhythm and leads. Any other good pickups for my cheap guitar?? And is it worth spendin that much more money on the DiMarzio?Thanks!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Oct 28, 2011,
D-Activator is a really nice pup. I'd go for that but then again I find Seymour Duncan pups to be a bit bland sounding to me. Maybe it is just a psychological thing but i'd go for the D-Activator.
The D-Activator is a nice thing, but I'd actually advice against it - I have them on my Ibanez Xpt700, and the whole guitar just sounds too dark to my tastes. Not muddy, really, but still somehow lacking in highs and upper mids. It's a mahogany body, but has a maple / walnut through neck, so it think that integral tonewood piece would brighten up the sound, but no, it doesn't. Therefore, I wouldn't put it on a guitar with a bass heavy tonewood.

As gain goes, however, it's really good, and can crank up a lot more distortion than many of my other guitars, when played through the same setup and settings. They also have relatively good note separation and I think they respond to picking dynamics quite well.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by sewoo55
What amp are you using?

Peavey Vypyr 15. Thanks guys.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by The^Unforgiven
The D-Activator is a nice thing, but I'd actually advice against it - I have them on my Ibanez Xpt700, and the whole guitar just sounds too dark to my tastes. Not muddy, really, but still somehow lacking in highs and upper mids. It's a mahogany body, but has a maple / walnut through neck, so it think that integral tonewood piece would brighten up the sound, but no, it doesn't. Therefore, I wouldn't put it on a guitar with a bass heavy tonewood.

As gain goes, however, it's really good, and can crank up a lot more distortion than many of my other guitars, when played through the same setup and settings. They also have relatively good note separation and I think they respond to picking dynamics quite well.

Dude, the Xiphos series is a 5 piece maple neck through, no walnut involved.

I would suggest the D-Activators, and I don't find any of the darkness described above unless you want it. I also don't find it lacking in the slightest in the highs and mids with the current wood combination.

I've also got a D-Activator 7 in my 7 string, with a maple body and mahogany neck, and everything still comes through great.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Dude, the Xiphos series is a 5 piece maple neck through, no walnut involved.

I would suggest the D-Activators, and I don't find any of the darkness described above unless you want it. I also don't find it lacking in the slightest in the highs and mids with the current wood combination.

I've also got a D-Activator 7 in my 7 string, with a maple body and mahogany neck, and everything still comes through great.

Oh, forgot that it's an all-maple neck, thx. Also, as I said, I don't think it's muddy or anything - it's just that I prefer quite an edgy tone, and for some reason the Xiphos doesn't do it quite as well as many of my other guitars.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah