I'm 16, and I'm utterly terrified at the thought of singing out loud, I can't even do it at home when I have the house for myself. This really bugs me, because I want to get good at singing and sing in a band.

In school (Friday, 4th November) in music class we have a "song test" where you go and sing to your teacher, if you want a good grade.
As you might understand, this is a very uncomfortable thought for me who is terrified of singing. An extra question beside of the point of this thread, what song should I pick? I'm allowed to pick any song.

Now my question is, how do I get comfortable at singing, and to keep me from fearing the very thought of singing?
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
the only way to warm up to it is to do it. There's no magic way of making that uncomfortable feeling go away, short of substance abuse, so just don't be afraid of being uncomfortable. Accept it as part of performance and move on i suppose. I'm always uncomfortable playing in front of people but i do it because i love it.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
The more you do it, the easier it gets.

And if you really think about it, nobody really cares if you're good or not, apart from you. Plus, if you act all nervous and self concious and mess up live, it will be really cringey and uncomfortable for people to watch. Whereas, if you go out and mess up, but don't care and just laugh at yourself, people will just laugh with you and will be a pretty fun experience.

Embarrassment isn't a real thing. It's just our mind telling us we should feel that way. When you realise this, it's easy to control your mind, and therefore control your feelings. We only live once, to my knowledge anyway, so why spend our time worrying and trying to be perfect. We should just go and have fun and stop caring so much about living up to this perception of ourselves that we create.

Best of luck!
Quote by DanielShaw123
The more you do it, the easier it gets.

And if you really think about it, nobody really cares if you're good or not, apart from you. Plus, if you act all nervous and self concious and mess up live, it will be really cringey and uncomfortable for people to watch. Whereas, if you go out and mess up, but don't care and just laugh at yourself, people will just laugh with you and will be a pretty fun experience.

Embarrassment isn't a real thing. It's just our mind telling us we should feel that way. When you realise this, it's easy to control your mind, and therefore control your feelings. We only live once, to my knowledge anyway, so why spend our time worrying and trying to be perfect. We should just go and have fun and stop caring so much about living up to this perception of ourselves that we create.

Best of luck!

That's a solid piece of advice, really appreciated it. I'd high-five you through the screen if I could.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.