Probably not, where is the actual motion of picking coming from? If you don't know the answer then you'll have to get a video up somehow because we can't tell without seeing you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Still doesn't help, need more detail really, which way do you mean you're twisting? Can you draw a diagram?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Assuming my picking is my right hand, then on the down stroke anticlockwise(to the right) and up stoke clockwise (to the left).
that's wrong, playing guitar is not supposed to be a forearm exercise, move your wrist and keep your forearm as rigid as possible
Do you like, move your whole hand when you pick a note? Because that's bad, dude. And in the long run not beneficial for your playing. The proper way to pick is using just a little motion with your wrist, this way the least amount of effort is required. You said that you twist your forearm when you pick, and that's definitely a no-no

E: How long have you been playing exactly?
Last edited by HaistaPaska92 at Oct 28, 2011,
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Lol, my forearm twists only the smallest amount when I'm playing.

Still, you should use your wrist
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Assuming my picking is my right hand, then on the down stroke anticlockwise(to the right) and up stoke clockwise (to the left).

There's nothing wrong with movement like that, the kind of movement you're talking about there is a rotatory motion which is just one of the three that can be used to pick. There's basically no one who uses any of the three in a pure way, everyone mixes them slightly.

There's nothing wrong with keeping your wrist still in that motion either though, the most important part is to keep your motions small and relaxed.

For a discussion on picking motion types and mechanics watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkeyHyIgqvY That should clear up what I'm talking about here if you don't know what it is.

Unless I've missed something then I give up

Quote by gman128
that's wrong, playing guitar is not supposed to be a forearm exercise, move your wrist and keep your forearm as rigid as possible

No, trying to stay rigid is a bad idea: by forcing your arm to stay still you basically ensure that you're going to be nastily tense. You're better off being very relaxed and having small sympathetic motions in your arm than you are putting effort in to keeping your arm still.

You're right in that the picking motion should be coming from the wrist but you should never force yourself to do anything, that's pretty much guaranteed to be counter-productive.

Quote by gman128

Bad call, Trooch tenses up and goes all arm-spazzy at his highest speeds.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Will it cause long term damage if I continue to pick like this?

possibly, but you will also not get as fast/clean if your motion is coming from the forearm and not the wrist, as it should.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Will it cause long term damage if I continue to pick like this?

Again: stick to the most basic principles or relaxation and economy of motion and you won't injure yourself. You might not end up picking the most efficient way but you won't hurt yourself. There are a few other basics about picking posture that I think you should stick to but since nothing you've said has really included anything about the way you actually hold the pick of the way you have your hand positioned it's impossible to tell if you're doing it right or not.

If you post a picture or video we can tell you what to correct but I'll say it again: it's really hard to tell you what you're doing right or wrong without seeing you.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for all the answers guys. I went from not knowing how to use a pick at the beginning of last year, to picking Benson and Reinhardt at the end of last year for an exam. A few days ago I was watching a mate of mine and noticed he was moving his wrist up and down so I was like wtf? He told me that's how you pick, so I was curious to see if it was wrong. I'm glad it's not!
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Oct 28, 2011,
That would probably depend on what picking we're talking about here. I don't know much about classical or fingerstyle picking but for playing with a pick your wrist should be doing most of the motions.
If you want to look at it from the perspective of a snob, then no it's not right. When you pick you're supposed to use your wrist. I'm not even sure how you make it work if you pick and you don't use your wrist. When you strum though that's a different story. But hey, if you don't use your wrist and it works great for you, then you don't have to worry about it. If you come across any problems, then you know why.
The question is : Are you satisfied with how you play things ?

If you can play whatever you want to play and you are not restrained by this aspect, i don't see any problem honestly.

Andras kisser uses his elbow very much when playing and he is a guitar master.
I too swivel my forearm when picking single notes...which works for me. I can't actually remember why I started playing that way, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it was the right way to pick. I use the wrist more when playing chords.

However, I'm not completely satisfied with what I play and can't play whatever I want.
Quote by timcoombe
I too swivel my forearm when picking single notes...which works for me. I can't actually remember why I started playing that way, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it was the right way to pick. I use the wrist more when playing chords.

However, I'm not completely satisfied with what I play and can't play whatever I want.

Hmm, when I got home and analysed what I actually do it was a bit different. When I'm picking notes slowly my forearm swivels a bit and there is some movement in my wrist. As I get faster my whole arm and wrist gets more rigid as I make smaller and smaller movements. It's a bit like building up to a drum roll, the faster you get the closer the sticks get to the drum and there is less and less movement.
If you can play perfectly well then you shouldn't need to worry about anything. So just relax.
might as well throw in my 2 cents..

if you feel relaxed...and ther is no tension...after hours of playing...no pain or soreness the next day....and you are using the minimal motion required to pick...then it is ok to do whatever the **** you want.....

well you can do whatever the **** you want any way...you just might tear some shit and not be able to do any fun guitar picking for a long time...
I haz gotten gud