Curious to find out how others practice.

You should include what style you play and where you want to go with your guitar playing.

So I play blues and classic rock mainly. But I quite like playing funk sometimes. I basically want to get as good as I possibly can with my guitar playing.

I always warm up before I play as well. Hammer ons and pull offs using a combination off all the left hand fingers. It's really helped getting all the notes smooth and the same volume.

I tend to try and work out something by ear every time I pick my guitar up. This is usually old blues songs. Little Richard, BB King, Albert King, Muddy Waters... I love guitarists like Keith Richards, Jimmy Page and Izzy Stradlin and that's how they all learnt. So I thought if I played their influences, I could end up in a similar style to them, while still sounding like me. Plus, old blues classics are a great place to start with ear training, as they're all pretty similar.

I don't often learn solos, mainly a rhythm guitarist. I often have a harder song that I'm building up to while learning little things. If learning something fast, I ALWAYS slow it down and play along with it until I know it off by heart and perfectly in time, then I speed it up. I'm very strict on my playing, if I learn something, I want to learn it as close to the original as possible.
I have gradually increased my practice time, this month it has been 7 hours per day.
6 hours working on technique (picking + left hand + chords + arpeggios + scales + theory)

when im finally warmed up I improvise for 1 hour or whatever time i have left and compose, i rarely learn songs.. but i plan to change my routine to fix that in around 2 months.

I am focused mainly on lead guitar, i find myself speeding up if i dont concentrate on the metronome, so im always having to force myself to slow down.

The last month i have been practicing with gain up to 10 and working all those hours on cleaning up my playing with distortion.

What I want? I want to play guitar all the time, become really good and make and learn music. I will graduate from university next year, sometimes I think it was a mistake to study, since i have decided not go for a doctorate or anything as i tought i would.
I realized kind of late that most of lifes stuff doesnt interest me that much when i compare it to music, i just want to play my guitar and get better
Last edited by Slashiepie at Oct 28, 2011,
I warm up for about 20 mins.
Practice the song im currently working on for about 1-2 hours.
Practice chords for about 30 mins.
Reading sheet music 30 mins.
And learning licks from my favorite guitarists for about 30-60 min.

I'm still working on getting my practice schedule done though. It's not near what i want to be able to practice everyday. And i aint got all the time to practice cause i got school aswell.

Im going to add arpeggio practice and ear training to the list, along with other stuff.

I want to be able to play the things i like and write stuff that i like for my band. Wich in my case is pretty technically demanding. Both rhythm wise and lead wise.

I play mainly metal and want to get deeply into the progressive, neoclassical and melodic death metal part of it.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Oct 28, 2011,
Quote by Mr Winters
I just play.

This.

I usually learn by playing songs.

I don't have a schedule for learning, hell, I don't even practice scales or any kind of theory.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Warm-ups/Technique Building usually for 30-40 minutes. Then I will work on a solo or a song for 30 minutes. Then I'll setup a simple chord progression on a loop pedal and jam over it if I have time.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by NosralTserrof
This.

I usually learn by playing songs.

I don't have a schedule for learning, hell, I don't even practice scales or any kind of theory.

I don't even learn songs. Just the ones I play with my band. But most of the time I just sit there jamming. Sometimes I'll learn a new scale or arpeggio or whatever and jam with it.
I have no sig
I try to play in time with something as often as possible. That said, I only use clicks when I'm learning something particularly nasty, and even then I try to come off the metronome and put it in context once I've got it well under my fingers.
Last edited by Daimoth at Oct 29, 2011,
Every morning after breakfast I have a go on the guitar for minimum 15 min . If I don't have work I practice over 15 min up to one 1 hour. Otherwise I'd between 15-20 min sharp. After work I also practice. Practice includes going through the chromatic scale and then all the 12 Minor and Major scales. Then I do arpeggios and chords for each scale. When I don't have work or anywhere to go I play one acoustic finger style song and one for my electric guitar. I usually end up playing the electric guitar song for the whole day but I started off with my acoustic and I feel like I need to go over one song for it few times at least. As for the electric song , I practice hard til I can play it along the original track. What I love about playing the guitar is playing along the music track I really really like. Feels great ! Sometimes I go crazy playing random licks that come to my head. OH AND all the scale practice and everything I do along side metronome a shitty computer program one but I can't afford the real thing I'm too poor.
It is really useful to warm up as more as possible. Unfortunately the time is not enough. Slashiepie mentions that it is good to practice around 7 hours. Of course but who have so much time through the day. may be if you find the best balance between warming up and practice it is the best. I think that you have to warm up like 60% of the time and 40% composing or covering. Could work.
Vintage guitars are not only musical instruments but they are the spirit of music history. Find a lot types of vintage guitars here.
Warming up should only be enough to get your fingers limber and ready for whatever else needs to be done. I used to do the above and was going through warming up exercises for like 30 minutes or so. It becomes boring and un-fun and I never progressed in the songs I was trying to learn. I keep warming up to 15 minutes making sure to warm up both hands and then I get into the rest of it. I don't practice scales though I learn the notes to a particular scale and get familiar with it by playing over backing tracks it gets you a lot more familiar then just playing a scale up and down. Just my 2 cents on practice.
Lately, I have been warming up on rocksmith scale runner (you pick a scale and they run you through it all over the neck) before switching into playing a song, then working on technique.
My warm up atm is playing the riff to Every Breath You Take. That's a good stretchy song for me lol, cuz I have small hands.
I play what sounds good and practice what I want to.....
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I spend time training my ear (about 10 minutes or so), do some theory studying, some warm up exercises, scales (different scale each day... all positions and I spend about 1-2hours playing them at 40bpm. So I master them.), a song I'm learning, and then I'll write some riffs, and chord progressions; a solo too.

All in all I practice about 4-5hrs a day (not everyday, some days I don't have time. On those days I just do a riff or two at slow speeds to master them, and throw in an exercise of sweeping/legato/bends etc.)
Warm up - 30 minutes -

Left hand separately

Right hand separately

Both hands together.

Then studying new stuff - like new patterns for playing the scales

Apply those patterns to all the guitar modes ( licks usually show you only one position)

Improvisation using the things i learned.

Ear training for 20 minutes (it is a must)
Quote by hansome21
Lately, I have been warming up on rocksmith scale runner (you pick a scale and they run you through it all over the neck) before switching into playing a song, then working on technique.

Interesting - how is Rocksmith? I had a look (though never tried playing it) but the tracklist didn't look particularly challenging.

Having said that, I bet it's great for forcing you to learn songs all the way through.
Quote by mdc
My warm up atm is playing the riff to Every Breath You Take. That's a good stretchy song for me lol, cuz I have small hands.

My warmup song is message in a bottle for similar reasons
Quote by Brainpolice2
Depends on what counts as practice. If it's things like playing linear scale excersizes to a metronome, or non-musical warmups meant for developing finger independence, I've never practiced in my life despite playing for about 13 years.

This. The only difference is that I've only played for about 9 1/2 years.

I figured that using a metronome just doesn't work for me, it seems unnatural.
What I do is mainly playing songs, licks and riffs, plus I've picked out a really challenging run now that I want to be my main "practice lick" for speeding up (but without a metronome).
Quote by Gemini
I gave a dog a blowjob once. That was fun.

Quote by Kymble

my mum walked in on me having a wank, but then she gave me a helping hand

Quote by llBlackenedll
Interesting - how is Rocksmith? I had a look (though never tried playing it) but the tracklist didn't look particularly challenging.

Having said that, I bet it's great for forcing you to learn songs all the way through.

I love it. It adapts to how good or bad you do and keeps things fresh. The song list isn't the best but it's still fun and covers a pretty good range of material. It's not perfect but it's pretty dang good.
I dont see the point in practising theory and shit, if I feel like playing a song I like I just play it slowly so I learn better technique and feel it better.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
You should include what style you play and where you want to go with your guitar playing.

I play folk and don't want to "go" anywhere with my playing. I just want to have fun.

I pick up my acoustic and play some Mountain Goats, open chords, and Here Comes the Sun for 15-20 minutes before stopping.

This happens once or twice a week, and i'm okay with it.
Idk why I have 4 electrics, since I only use my acoustic
Usually am just jamming, soloing, learning new songs etc. Sometimes I just pick my acoustic up and learn some new fingerstyle tricks etc. good sounding licks. I don't usually play through any scales.