Hello,
I have been playing guitar for about 5 years now and have been writing my own songs as well as playing in a band ever since. I played college lacrosse last year and had a career ending injury when I tore my scapholunate ligament in my right wrist, my strumming/picking hand. Since then I have been able to play with little to no discomfort, but music takes the pain away right?I finally got it checked out by a surgeon and he said that the only chance to avoid getting arthritis and a weak wrist is to get surgery and a cast+rehab which will have an approximate recovery time of 3 months.

Does anyone know of a way to practice or of any guitar/music simulation software/device I could use with a cast that covers my thumb. I realize this is probably a shot in the dark, but without being able to play music I think I'd be a complete psychological mess.
Thanks

Mods please move this if this is in the wrong forum.
My fretting hand was in a cast for roughly 9 weeks. During this time I tuned one of my acoustics to an open tuning (probably open D) and made songs through tapping harmonics with my right hand, and using a slide with my right. Not exactly easy, but I could play guitar and my family and friends were impressed.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I had a cast on for a few months when I got surgery on my fretting hand thumb, and I ended up playing piano for a while using three fingers on my left hand. It didn't help my urge to play guitar, but it still allowed me to compose music, which was a big help. I eventually got to the point where I could kind of play guitar with the cast on after I healed a bit, but I was still just strumming chords. I would think you'd be able to hold a pick between two of your fingers with a cast on, so you should still be able to strum an acoustic guitar.