Okay. So I just got this head (NAD coming soon when I can prepare clips / pics that do it justice) Its the reissue version with EL34's.

Firstly, I just wanna say that for anyone who passed up on this amp because they didn't think it had enough gain... Sux for you. I have my modded TS-9 in front of it with the gain at about noon and the level almost maxed and I'm into modern metal territory with the drive at 9-9.5 (for some reason diming the gain is unappealing to me).

For those of you not familiar with the amp, it has an active EQ with presence, low, mid, high controls AND a 5 band active EQ with sliders that can cut/add up to 18db of gain to different frequencies.

I've been able to get very good tones from it just messing around. But I want to take a more systematic approach to EQing it to get the ZOMGTHISAMPISTEHBALLZ tone I know I can pull out of this thing.

How would you guys suggest I start? I know the best way is to start in the middle. But how should I proceed after that?

Should I try to get the best sound I can from the normal EQ, then play with the sliders?

HELP ME TAME TEH BEAST!

p.s. I'm not really looking for exact settings ( though if you have some ill gladly try them out ) I'm looking for a theoretical way to approach the EQ's to shape mah tone.

My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
My preferencies are probably different than yours, I know this is not what you want to hear but.

I suggest adjusting each slider up and down, listen carefully to how it affects your overall tone, just adjust tell you find something you like. I usually, boost the cut the 100k a bit, boost the 200k a bit, then I usually add some upper mid punch.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
My preferencies are probably different than yours, I know this is not what you want to hear but.

I suggest adjusting each slider up and down, listen carefully to how it affects your overall tone, just adjust tell you find something you like. I usually, boost the cut the 100k a bit, boost the 200k a bit, then I usually add some upper mid punch.

Do you do that after setting the amp's first EQ?

Bascially when I'm trying to EQ it I find that when I boost / cut one frequency until it sounds as good as I can get it, it doesn't sound as good when I change the others.. If that makes sense?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
It's the one with the shared eq?

If so, I know a lot of people use the active eq to make the cleans sound their best. Then they turn on the distortion channel and activate the graphic eq and use it to tailor the sound of the distortion until it sounds its best. That was a terrible sentence, but you get the point lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
It's the one with the shared eq?

If so, I know a lot of people use the active eq to make the cleans sound their best. Then they turn on the distortion channel and activate the graphic eq and use it to tailor the sound of the distortion until it sounds its best. That was a terrible sentence, but you get the point lol

Yea I've seen people suggest this, but I just want the get the best distortion channel sound I can get.

Even if I use those settings for the clean channel, It's semi-impossible to get a "bad" clean sound out of this amp. The cleans are simply phenomenal.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator