I've recently got into a rock covers band that play mainly 12 bar blues/ rock n roll kind of stuff.
It's going great at the moment, however I only have a Line6 spider 3 15w from my younger, angrier days and the OD presets on that are way too aggressive for the stuff i'm playing!

The lead guitarist uses a 50w marshall amp (cant remember which one, pretty sure it's valve though!) and i'm looking for a good amp around that kind of benchmark without a hefty price tag at the moment as i'm only starting up.

Is marshall the way to go? or do you guys have any recommendations....
I use a fender John 5 tele if that helps!

sorry for the long-windedness,

Cheers!
Location...?

Budget...?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Exeter SW England,

I'm not really sure on budget as i don't really know the prices for a good amp, as i said I don't really wanna splash out just yet as i'm only starting up, but need something to compete with the other guitarist!
however if it will pay for itself i'll be up for finding ways to fund it...
Check out the PCB Cornford amps at Andertons.

If they are too pricy...

I know a guy selling a very nice marshall esque 50 watt amp, comes with greenbacks too.

its my brothers Laney VC50, its 50 watts, versatile and would work very well and he only wants £330 for it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Oct 28, 2011,
The traynor 50 watt como on thomann for like 400 would probs be a good bet
(beat you to it dave..)
^The vc50 would work well too!
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 28, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
The traynoy 50 watt como on thomann for like 400 would probs be a good bet
(beat you to it dave..)

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Correct the typo! stupid all russian vodka goodness!
(UG canni warn me for this, promoting there home country)
Quote by Tom 1.0

its my brothers Laney VC50, its 50 watts, versatile and would work very well and he only wants £330 for it.

This will work nicely.

As would a Laney VC30 or their GH/VH-series models. Or their Lionheart-series.

If you can get a good deal on a Peavey Classic 50, that's worth a look also. Doesn't quite compare to a Cornford though.

EDIT: The Traynor is 500 quid now. Still easily worth it.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_custom_wave_ycv50b.htm
Last edited by TheQuailman at Oct 28, 2011,
Don't forget to look second hand too, maybe a marshall or peavey classic 50, pricier you have the mesa boogies like the road house or f50, you get some good vox ones for reasonable money too which tend to be loud. I would go valve for sure though, a lot more versatile in some ways and better projection of sound. You can also control the gain a lot more using the guitar volume and how hard you hit the strings, more dynamics.
cornfords are really sweet. I liked the 18 watter combo one i tried years ago a lot (cant remember the name right now.. too much vodka!) Not tried the roadhouse yet but i havent played a cornford i didnt like.
Thanks for the recommendations, It's helped me to at least know where to start looking!

Quote by Tom 1.0

I know a guy selling a very nice marshall esque 50 watt amp, comes with greenbacks too.

I've just watched a review for one of these, they sound right up my alley!
do you have any pics of your brother's amp?

its got "mojo" but works fine and sounds incredible.

if you want more details pm me mate.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by TheQuailman

EDIT: The Traynor is 500 quid now. Still easily worth it.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_custom_wave_ycv50b.htm

That is a nice sounding amp, a little out of my price range for the time being though!
definitely sounds like valve is better than transistor...

Quote by Twidler

Don't forget to look second hand too, maybe a marshall or peavey classic 50, pricier you have the mesa boogies like the road house or f50, you get some good vox ones for reasonable money too which tend to be loud. I would go valve for sure though, a lot more versatile in some ways and better projection of sound. You can also control the gain a lot more using the guitar volume and how hard you hit the strings, more dynamics.

Yeah I have been looking second hand but wasn't too sure what to be looking at, I'll keep these in mind cheers!
Lol at Tom having zero self control.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Joe dude, my bro this time

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

its got "mojo" but works fine and sounds incredible.

if you want more details pm me mate.

Thanks man. I'm kind of in enquiry stages at the moment, but if I manage to find a way to get some money together I'll be in touch further!
No worries

buy it

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
marshall vintage modern, at a higher budget though....well.... much higher but u can find one used for <$1000

it sounds great though
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED