Im a drummer, but i would like to learn a new instrument as I aspire to be a musician one day. I am getting my first bass for christmas this year, and i was wondering what I should get: The Ibanex gsr200 or the Dean Edge 10. The Dean has active electronics, and ive heard that active electronics make it sound a lot better. So which one should i choose? Sorry this was posted in a hurry.
Well, in my personal experience, I would never advocate buying a Dean. Especially a low end Dean. That said, the Ibanez you're aiming at isn't that amazing either.

If it's at all possible, I'd go with this.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/esp-ltd-b-104-bass-guitar/516169000848000
A tad more expensive - you're looking at about $70 more. But for it you'll get a better, more reliable instrument that you'll be able to grow with before having to buy up in the future.

If that's not possible and money's super tight, of the two you suggested I'd go with the Ibanez.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
dude if you just want to learn to play bass and maybe play in a couple gigs i would suggest the squier begginer pack (precision or jazz bass). both are quite reliable and sound great, and the pack isn't very expensive. besides, it also comes with a 15 watt amp and a couple of accessories. between those two bass guitars, i would go with the ibanez
Quote by cl4mburglar
Im a drummer, but i would like to learn a new instrument as I aspire to be a musician one day.

Off-topic, but I couldn't help laughing at this Don't take it seriously though, I've tried drumming and it's damn hard.

IIRC, the Ibanes GSR200 does have active pickups. I'm not sure if they all sound better, it's only a volume difference, being louder than passive pickups. Also many active basses have incorporated EQ, I know that one does. I've never played or heard of that Dean, but the Ibanez should do you fine if you're a beginner.
Professional lurker since 2009.
My first bass was a Dean and it was great, okay I am lying, it was awful. I did take a peak at the electrics and it looked as if someone had been pretending their soldering iron was a sword, not pretty. There was insulation which had been melted though to the core in several places.

I personally prefer actives in a bass but you can get pretty much the same effect by using an aftermarket pre-amp that clips onto your strap or a pedal version.
Bass: Yamaha BB615
Acoustic: Yamaha FG400A
Quote by technoguyx
IIRC, the Ibanes GSR200 does have active pickups.

No, the GSR200 has an active preamp, but its not really much of a preamp, just a bass boost knob. Most, if not all, basses in the "starter" price range won't have active pickups, but they might have an active preamp. Whether it sounds better, that's subjective, but a 2 or 3 band eq will add a little on-board versatility.

TS, look in the FAQ for some beginner gear ideas. Avoid Dean, they make a terrible low end bass. I'd also suggest against getting a starter pack, you'll thank yourself in the end if you get a separate bass and amp. Here's a short list you should check out:

Basses:
Squier Affinity Precision or Jazz
Squier Vintage Modified Precision, Jazz, or Jaguar
Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz
Ibanez GSR200 or SR300
Yamaha RBX170 or RBX374
Peavey Millennium BXP

Amps:
Acoustic B10 or B20
Kustom KB10
Peavey MAX 158

Pair up any one of those basses and practice amps and you should have a solid starter set up.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Another thought, do you really need a brand new bass? There are some great deals out there where people have brought a bass then for whatever reason sold it after never really used it. Whilst most of these may be entry level stuff, there are some good ones out there.
^this is a good point. Instead of buying a brand new GSR300 you can find used SRs for similar pricing.

Also many of the drummers I know picked up bass quickly--they get the percussive rhythm side of it and usually are better slap players for that.
Last edited by anarkee at Oct 29, 2011,
Thanks for the input. I have found some Peavey Millenium 4 bxp basses online on ebay in actually my price range. So if they arent there by christmas time, thats when id go for just a brand new one. I did look at the Squier modified vintage jaguar basses, but i didnt know if a short scale would be too short. And also, what about the low end ESp Ltd.s?
Quote by cl4mburglar
Thanks for the input. I have found some Peavey Millenium 4 bxp basses online on ebay in actually my price range. So if they arent there by christmas time, thats when id go for just a brand new one. I did look at the Squier modified vintage jaguar basses, but i didnt know if a short scale would be too short. And also, what about the low end ESp Ltd.s?

peavey's always good

nothing wrong with short scale except downtuning past drop d unless you plan to cut the nut and set the action and truss rod.

no to ESP's I think from what I've gathered on forums, they look metal, but they are cheap and crappy, basically to entice new metal heads to buy the bass. pro's who use ESP have very expensive custom versions
^ Pretty sure multiple people on this forum have recommended mid-range quality LTD's.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
my first was a Yamaha RBX270 and I loved it, and still use it over my RBX375 in some cases where the sound fits better. I've played the RBX170 as well and it's a nice one too, I highly recommend the RBX series, they're great starting instruments.
Quote by chatterbox272
my first was a Yamaha RBX270 and I loved it, and still use it over my RBX375 in some cases where the sound fits better. I've played the RBX170 as well and it's a nice one too, I highly recommend the RBX series, they're great starting instruments.

I looked at a 37x and was quite impressed, nearly brought it too, glad I didn't as I paid less for my BB. Good option though.

For the benefit of the OP the main difference between the 270 and 370 is that the 370 is active.
I've been playing and working on basses for 40 years now and have learned a lot about them

With any brand, and I mean ANY brand, some of the low end will be not so good. Dean included but don't ditch Deans, I have a bunch of them and gig regularly with them. The Dean Edge can be found on e-bay but as always you will not know until it arrives as to its condition. I just picked up a Dean Edge 1 for $79 on e-bay and figured it would take some work but it arrived, I tuned it and gigged with it last night. Sounded great and felt very good. Their Hillsboro models now are very good basses.

I have also had some cheaper Ibanez that were good little basses, necks are thin for my big hands but always sounded decent.

Best thing is to try them first and make up your own mind. I've had great $100 basses and crappy $750 basses. Don't listen to those who have had pre-conceived notions on them maybe trying only one low end that wasn't good or never actually trying one themselves.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
Hmm... maybe an Ibanez GSR 180 or 200 would be okay. I started with Fender Squier P-Bass and it's great
Of the two I would suggest the Ibanez, I have played one of those and it did fine for a beginning bass. Plus I would be slightly wary of active electronics in an entry level bass.
On the other hand though, I don't have much of a preference for the active electronics in my own bass. It's all a matter of preference really.

All in all, I wouldn't fret toooo terribly much about a cheaper starter bass. As you play and learn you will begin to develop your own tastes and realize what you do and do not like about bass guitars.

edit: I also agree with suggestions of a used bass
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
Last edited by ldzppln81 at Nov 2, 2011,
Quote by cl4mburglar
Also, what about the Epiphone EB-0?

avoid these ^^^ like a plague. Except Thunderbirds. But that's ONLY if you plan on playing hard rock, hard rock, and (you guessed it) hard rock. No versatility.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
both have actives. i have a GSR200 and its alright, not good compared to the SR405QM i got about a month ago, but a good starter bass. I've played the Dean before and I wasnt really impressed. Go with the Ibanez
Ibanez SR405QM
Quote by Demonikk
When it comes to the point where the fate of the world is in the hands of any UG member, I think it's safe to say we're pretty much ****ed

Spoken by a true American

PSN-Italiano_Mafioso
ESP Ltd F-50
MXR M-116
Quote by strat0blaster
Well, in my personal experience, I would never advocate buying a Dean. Especially a low end Dean. That said, the Ibanez you're aiming at isn't that amazing either.

If it's at all possible, I'd go with this.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/esp-ltd-b-104-bass-guitar/516169000848000

Oh my god that bass is beautiful.
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

Quote by cl4mburglar
I think ill probably go with the Epiphone Thunderbird

have you actually tried this bass? While it has its advocates, there are some definite reasons why many bass players don't like them.
Quote by cl4mburglar
I think ill probably go with the Epiphone Thunderbird

I would only consider the ThunderBird Pro models, The regular bolt-on necks suck. They are made unbelievably cheap.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate