I know I can experiment and find whats best....but I wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts are on the placement of my pedals.

I am waiting on a new pedaltrain pro in the mail and was brainstorming on the best placement of my pedals before I go and get everything all neat on the board.

I just purchased a voodoo lab pedal power plus to try to get rid of some noise.
Waiting on a cable kit to built my own cables for less noise.
Just picked up a 1980 deluxe big muff...seems to generate alot of noise.
Got a 1991 dunlop fuzz face which seems to do terrible in my chain...by itself it is fine.

Ok, so here is what I have in order:
1991 american strat (just installed a hot rail for strat in the bridge)
vox wah v847 (highly modded)
boss tu-2 tuner
MXR Dyna Comp
Deluxe big muff
fuzz face
ibanez ts9dx (highly modded)
1984 proco rat
boss ds-1 distortion
boss db-2 blues driver
boss mt-2 metal zone (highly moded)
MXR ten band EQ
EH holy grail reverb
Danelectro slap echo
out to blackheart killer ant (1/4 watt all tube)
12" weber speaker in enclosed cab
12" vintage 1956 jensen in enclosed cab (pulled from old organ cabinet)

Any input from advanced players?
http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1351

I thought this was pretty helpful to start out with, but this is just a way you would normally set up a board if you have all these effects. but if you use more simple setups it really all comes down to what you wanna do with the effects. you get different things if you fumble around with them so you can also just invent your own way.
Guitar-> tuner - wah - distortions/overdrives/fuzz - amp
fx loop send-> EQ - delays/echoes/reverbs - fx loop return
Quote by gurg06

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of an effects loop
I'd almost be reasonably happy with them running in the order you listed them TS.
Any input from advanced players?

Not to put that many pedals on a single board without a loop system that lets you take pedals in and out of the loop - for instance http://www.voodoolab.com/commander.htm. You can't expect to series 20 pedals in some ideal order where your tone won't suffer, it simply won't work.
I'm not exactly "advanced", but definitely put that tuner behind your wah. It should be the first pedal in the chain, always. Then put the compressor, your wah and all your distortions. EQ after those, then the echo and finally, reverb at the end.
Professional lurker since 2009.
not to knock your rig, but are you really setting up 2 distortions, 2 fuzzes, and 2 overdrive pedals?

Quote by gurg06

I think he's just stating the general recommendation for pedalboard layout. So omit fx loop if you don't have one.
Quote by mark3777
not to knock your rig, but are you really setting up 2 distortions, 2 fuzzes, and 2 overdrive pedals?

I think he's just stating the general recommendation for pedalboard layout. So omit fx loop if you don't have one.

You got me....I have a little pedal addiction!....Honestly I have gotten rid of alot!
A few thoughts.

Against common practise, try to see what its like if you put your compressor *after* dirt boxes instead of before them. Robert Keeley suggests this and I didn't really think about it until I got curious one day and tried it, and I've settled on keeping it that way.

If you're using multiple dirt boxes and intend to stack gain stages sometimes, under the assumption that whichever pedal is closer to the end of the chain has its characteristics (or lackthereof) come through most when stacking pedals, try placing the least gainy, most natural/smooth sounding ones after the more high-gain/grainy ones (for example, that'd mean Dist and Metal Zone go *before* Blues Driver). Although as another poster pointed out, you listed *a lot* of gain boxes and it may be absurd/unecessary to have all of those on a single pedalboard.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Oct 29, 2011,
My recommendation is a noise gate, because some of those 7 gain boxes you have are really noisy, but the Voodoo Labs Commander or some other kind of switching system is a good idea too. As far as actual physical placement on the board, you just need to go with what makes sense to you.

I'd also like to just make a little bit of a harsher criticism: You have a Pro Co Rat and a TS9DX, in addition to 2 decent fuzz pedals, and you're letting those Boss distortion pedals waste space on your board? I think you could benefit from some downsizing. And a noise gate. But just having your pedals spaced further apart might help cut down on the noise. You could also invest in a power conditioner.
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Oct 29, 2011,