Hey guys, while looking for settings to try out on my new X-100B reissue head, I came across these mods to add some gain to the lead channel

http://trujeque.com/x_mod.html

I'm wondering how much gain would be added, approximately? i.e. If I had the gain at 10, then did the mod, what would I have to turn the knob to to get the same amount of gain? Sorry if thats an impossible question. It was the easiest way to word it ha.

What would it do to frequency responses? Is it worth it? Anndddd, is it as easy as it looks? Assuming I know not to blow myself up? Looks like simple swapping of resistors but I could be wrong.

p.s. I tried to find you a schematic, quick google search to no avail.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
okay then, i dont know a lot about this amp but on the site it sais: quadruples the gain, and that by changing 3 resistors, what i can tell you is that it might be higher but never this much higher (unless the normal gain was very very VERY low)
As for your other questions: it is really that easy, and without it plugged in, you will probably not blow yourself up
i know its not much of a help but still
tough call on what resistors they are. need a schematic and when i get one; know which resistor R2 or R31 is, then i can tell you. i could make assumptions, but i dont want to make false claims.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
lol. dan torres mod.

**** that. leave it as it is.

dan torres is about the dumbest person there is.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
lol. dan torres mod.

**** that. leave it as it is.

dan torres is about the dumbest person there is.

I've heard this before. Why don't people like him? Also I don't care if he's an idiot, just if this particular mod sounds good. Lol.

Edit: Heres a schematic! I think this is the right one anyways.

http://www.carvinservice.com/crg/schematics/X-Series%20Amp%20Schematic.pdf
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Oct 28, 2011,
why do you want more gain?

the amp is set up to produce a particular distortion sound.

getting more gain out of the amp doesn't mean that it's going to be more distorted.

edit: jeebus did carvin win the 4558 lottery or something.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Oct 28, 2011,
Quote by AcousticMirror
why do you want more gain?

the amp is set up to produce a particular distortion sound.

getting more gain out of the amp doesn't mean that it's going to be more distorted.

edit: jeebus did carvin win the 4558 lottery or something.

I know, and I like the sound. But its just SLIGHTLY lacking in the balls department. It might be a matter of just EQing it, which I'm working on. I'm just looking at other options. The FJA added gain mods for the x100b sound pretty beastly. Idk if I wanna pay that much for a $400 amp tho. =/

Edit: about the 4558 thing. yea i noticed that too. holy jesus.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Oct 28, 2011,
That schematic looks like the London Underground

And yeah, why the heck do you want more gain anyway? A little bit more, I get, but 4 times as much? Itll just muddy up your playing. The X100 already has JCM800 levels of gain IIRC? 4 times as much would be 5150 levels, maybe more . And when boosted, I have never kept the gain knob on one of those above what? 3/10? Even taht is overgained

Just use a TS9 or something and boost it.

EDIT: Whats a 4558?
Knock the gain back a bit and crank up the volume, that's what I learnt. I kept thinking I need more dirt but the players like satch I was watching used less gain a lot of the time. Valve amps change a lot when pushed too. Just a thought.
^^ 4558 are op amps IC's used a lot in amplifiers / pedals / etc.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Quote by Twidler
Knock the gain back a bit and crank up the volume, that's what I learnt. I kept thinking I need more dirt but the players like satch I was watching used less gain a lot of the time. Valve amps change a lot when pushed too. Just a thought.

I tried this but the gain was still pretty high.

I put the amp on the 25 watt setting and cranked it a little. (like 4 or 5 maybe?) It sounded more distorted but it sounded kind of like someone threw a blanket over my cab. Sort of muffled. Does that mean I needed to back up on the drive?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
you could try eqqing for a little bit more bass.

the front end of that amp is set up like a jcm800 until the tone stack.

maybe change r15 to 15k around.
Quote by bj_squeelie
I tried this but the gain was still pretty high.

I put the amp on the 25 watt setting and cranked it a little. (like 4 or 5 maybe?) It sounded more distorted but it sounded kind of like someone threw a blanket over my cab. Sort of muffled. Does that mean I needed to back up on the drive?

I'm not familiar with your particular amp but I would keep playing with the settings, things like knocking a bit of bass off and up the treble a bit? See how you get on, mess with the mids if possible, pressence control, anyhthing there is to mess with really.
So what will that do?

Sry as far as what changing the values will actually do, im quite the n00b.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Quote by Twidler

Their playing is also a lot more precise. A lot of less experienced players tend to use more gain, cause either their mistakes sound less obvious with a blanked, or because they dont know how to control their sound with dynamics. The average song uses much less gain than you think it does. With my RP on a Recto patch with gain about 5/10, digging in hard gets a very chunky palm mute, while not hammering the string is a lot less aggressive, almost clean on the enck pup. This effect came out even mroe with an LC15 I tried, cleaned up much better while getting heavy if I attacked more. When I started playing, I used an MG, and I used to dime the gain cause it wont be chunky enough it took a lot of time before I tried getting that sound from my attack rather than by buttloads of gain.