Hey UG,
I want a new acoustic. Something that will sound good for playing progressive metal acoustic pieces such as Opeth or Agalloch. Has anyone got any suggestions? Much Appreciated.
Well Martin and Taylor are both great choices Mikael (singer/guitarist) uses Martin for his acoustics with Fishman pickups.

I just saw them last month for my rhythm guitarists birthday, we manage to fight to the front row we both ended up getting picks and meet them after the show.
Quote by BigHeadClan
Well Martin and Taylor are both great choices Mikael (singer/guitarist) uses Martin for his acoustics with Fishman pickups.

I just saw them last month for my rhythm guitarists birthday, we manage to fight to the front row we both ended up getting picks and meet them after the show.

Your so lucky man! I had a look at some martin's and i was recomended 000 16GT by a mate. Good call?
Yeah great show for $50 bucks a ticket, met almost all of the band they where pretty chill. My other guitarist almost broke his leg after stepping into the mosh, he got knocked on his ass 10 seconds after walking into it (hes fine) crazy show though :P.

As for acoustic pick I know Mikael uses a 000 16GT, and I don't think Martin makes bad guitars (I would hope note for how much you pay). And as with most acoustics they only sound better as time goes on.

It depends on your situation really, if your just playing by yourself and don't need a guitar that has an amp or pickups so you can hear yourself play then your options really do expand. If you want something with electronics that you can plug into an amp then personally I would try checking out Godin, they have some amazing guitar's in terms of tone and quality (both natural and amplified) that really are impressive.

But it really comes down to how easy it is for your to play more then tone especially if your working with something with electronics, I have a dreadnaught from Crafter and it's pretty hard to play in comparison to most acoustics but has amazing tone( i have to fight with her to play but that makes it fun in it's own way). Where in contrast I tried out a Godin(nylon double chambered) at my guitar shop the other day and was blow away by the playability of the guitar, they truly where a middle-ground between electric for playability and acoustic for tone.

Really the best advice for buying any guitar is try them out in person as taste is always subjective, if they have electronics just make sure they have 4 band EQ at least and you should be solid.
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by BigHeadClan
Yeah great show for $50 bucks a ticket, met almost all of the band they where pretty chill. My other guitarist almost broke his leg after stepping into the mosh, he got knocked on his ass 10 seconds after walking into it (hes fine) crazy show though :P.

As for acoustic pick I know Mikael uses a 000 16GT, and I don't think Martin makes bad guitars (I would hope note for how much you pay). And as with most acoustics they only sound better as time goes on.

It depends on your situation really, if your just playing by yourself and don't need a guitar that has an amp or pickups so you can hear yourself play then your options really do expand. If you want something with electronics that you can plug into an amp then personally I would try checking out Godin, they have some amazing guitar's in terms of tone and quality (both natural and amplified) that really are impressive.

But it really comes down to how easy it is for your to play more then tone especially if your working with something with electronics, I have a dreadnaught from Crafter and it's pretty hard to play in comparison to most acoustics but has amazing tone( i have to fight with her to play but that makes it fun in it's own way). Where in contrast I tried out a Godin(nylon double chambered) at my guitar shop the other day and was blow away by the playability of the guitar, they truly where a middle-ground between electric for playability and acoustic for tone.

Really the best advice for buying any guitar is try them out in person as taste is always subjective, if they have electronics just make sure they have 4 band EQ at least and you should be solid.

Hey cheers for that man i'll check out Godin and get back to you. Im in a band but i want to write some progressive stuff and my bands playing metalcore so i don't know whether ill be using it for performing.