My new Fender American Standard Strat is getting quite a lot of fret buzz near the 12th on the 6th string.

Any tips on how to eliminate this?

Stock strings are installed just FYI and no tweaks have been made.
fret buzz is to be expected. it shouldnt be noticable when amplified unless it affects your sustain. if so you can adjust the action to however you like it.
If it's new, take it back and ask them to adjust the action/truss rod so that it doesn't buzz. It doesn't have to; mine doesn't buzz anywhere. But I had it setup professionally after I bought it (used). If it's used, take it somewhere you trust and have them set it up for you.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Okay, it turns out it buzzes to about the 4th,5th and 6th string.. up to the 9th fret.

Most frets on the 6th string though seem to be buzzing.

Sometimes I can hear a buzz when ampplified, and I don't know how to reproduce the buzz through the amp.
Okay, correcting for the final time :P

Every fret on the E string buzzes.
Every fret on the A string buzzes
Every fret up to the 19th on the D buzzes.
GB and e are all okay.
Don't forget the low strings vibrate a lot more/wider than the little strings so maybe try a little lift on that side.
Did you measure the action from the 12th fret? The string height vs string gauge is relevant since you can go lower with a heavier gauge. So measure it and find out what gauge the strings are.
Quote by W4RP1G
Did you measure the action from the 12th fret? The string height vs string gauge is relevant since you can go lower with a heavier gauge. So measure it and find out what gauge the strings are.

Is there a guide on how to do this the proper way? Or do I just grab a ruler and check the height from the fretboard?
Sorry I meant is there guide on adjusting the heights

Anyway, the height seems to be 4mm at 12th fret on the 6th string, it also seems to be 4mm at the 17th on the 6th.
look at the set up thread in this forum.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Volcz
Would changing strings help?

no. it sounds like the setup is too low or something is off. Have it checked out by a tech. shouldn't be anything drastic
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
raise the action and check your neck to see if it is arched/bowed too much
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Volcz
Sorry I meant is there guide on adjusting the heights

Anyway, the height seems to be 4mm at 12th fret on the 6th string, it also seems to be 4mm at the 17th on the 6th.

Is that measurement from the top of the fretwire to the bottom of the string? 4mm is kinda high by my standards.
You might want to get it set up by a pro, it sounds like you might need the neck off and shims fitted, 4mm is fairly high for any guitar.
Maybe I'm not measuring it right. I'll have another shot.

What's a good height it should be from the 12th or 17th?
ok

1. there is a setup thread at the top of the page.

2. you can try raising the saddles a little.
how to do that is on the first page of the setup thread.

3. you can measure the neck's relief.

fret the low E first fret, at the same time,
fret the low E last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, does the string lay on the middle frets?

if so, post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Usually around 2mm on the 12th, maybe a bit higher on the strat but not much, you measure from the top of the fret to the underside of the string.
Last edited by Twidler at Oct 29, 2011,