So, first of all, i have no knowledge of anything recording wise, except for video cameras. But i would like to start recording stuff to my computer by mic'ing up my amp (i dont want to use one of those software programs). So what is the cheapest mic for this? No budget really.. so suggest anything. Sorry if im asking stupid questions. Thanks!
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Quote by Cold Reader
Shure SM57, can't really go too far wrong with that one.

Came here to say this.
+1 on the Shure SM57 thats THE mic to record amps (especially for beginners). Theyre cheap, unbreakable and very versatile.

But you want to use the computer to record but you don't want to use software? How are you going to do that? You use a main (external) hardware recorder or you use the computer with software like reaper or whatever. Don't feel stupid, we all came from the same place one time

Joenuh
Quote by Joenuh
+1 on the Shure SM57 thats THE mic to record amps (especially for beginners). Theyre cheap, unbreakable and very versatile.

But you want to use the computer to record but you don't want to use software? How are you going to do that? You use a main (external) hardware recorder or you use the computer with software like reaper or whatever. Don't feel stupid, we all came from the same place one time

Joenuh

I'm sure he means amp sims.

Guys, the 57's a fine suggestion, but for a complete noob we have to keep in mind that suggesting an interface would also be a good idea.

Take a look at interfaces such as a Fast Track
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/m-audio-fast-track-mkii-usb-audio-interface/703669000000000

And then an sm57
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/shure-sm57-instrument-vocal-mic/270102000000000

After that all you'll need is a mic stand and a cable, but I'm sure you can figure that part out.
Tapco mix 60 is a fine enough piece of kit to put the mic through, I use that and the sm57. Mic placement is something to mess about with aswell, you can get quite a wide variation in sound depending on where you aim the mic i.e. centre of the speaker, outer edge and everything in between. Another thing you'll want is headphones that don't leak sound otherwise it comes back through the mic, don't ask me how I know. I'm using a set of audio technica ones ath-m30, they're nothing to fancy but they're good at keeping the sound in.
If you're going to record with a mic, you will need an audio interface that accepts XLR, unless you get an XLR to TRS adapter, but I strongly suggest you find an interface that has XLR and phantom power to extend possibilities.

SM57 is definitely a pro choice when recording amplifiers. Only like 99 bucks, and don't get one for less because it might be FAKE.

After that, you should be set to record your amp.
Ok, so, what im seeing.. i will need one of those 'Interface's? Which, im guessing, connects the mic to the computer? And the mic does not come with a cable, correct?
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Quote by MidniteHaze
Ok, so, what im seeing.. i will need one of those 'Interface's? Which, im guessing, connects the mic to the computer? And the mic does not come with a cable, correct?

That's about the size of it