I have my eye on a few electric guitars at a store.. but what's the lowest price I should go for a decent one??
Depends on what you're looking for, and whether or not it's brand spankin' new or 2nd hand. Still, I'd say it's good to not pick the cheapest guitar around, but to rather see it as an investment - it's a lot easier to sell a good 2nd hand guitar than it is to sell a cheap piece of firewood IMHO.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
^
Agreed. You don't want to go out and get a cheapass guitar that's going to discourage your playing. That would be all kinds of bad. I'd recommend looking at some used guitars in that price range.

Bit of a housekeeping thing here, but take this over to Electric Guitar, not Techniques.
A cheapish (£250-£300) Ibanez is usually pretty impressive in quality. Also, a lot of people like the Yamaha Pacifica guitars, they've shown that quality really doesn't need the high price tag.
^ Yes, I agree. Ibanez has probably the best value-for-money -factor out of the big production companies. The Yamaha Pacificas I've played have also been excellent guitars, but I think the reason that many people shun them is that they're a bit bland - they lack character and identity, and I wouldn't buy a guitar, no matter how good, if it didn't have some sort of charm of it's own that appeals to me.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Aesthetics aside, you want a guitar that fits you as a player. Yes, that's vague. Consider:

Are heavy bodies fine? Do I need a body made of light wood?
What neck shape is my favorite?
Do I need a tremolo system? Do I need 24 frets, or is 21 or 22 okay?
How often do I use the pickup switch - is one pickup acceptable?

If the guitar satisfies those questions, you like the sound, and it's cheap, bag it. Tons of pros have no problem using cheaper guitars.

However, before you drop money on anything, either play one or play one just like it - especially as a beginner. If you're buying a very low-end instrument (which is fine!) - always check it by hand, meaning actually play it. Cheap guitars are often fine, but they're also scrutinized less in the factory than their expensive counterparts.
Last edited by Daimoth at Oct 29, 2011,