This isn't much of a question on how to sight read.. more of i just don't understand how you get better at it. I know to practice it, but the science part confuses me? Will it be the equivalent to learning a new technique or will my brain pick it up faster?

i base a lot of what i do on sciences so if anyone could explain that'd be fantastic
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
yeah you'll learn all the positions of the notes and everything eventually with practice. i think it would definitely help you learn a song quicker.
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
This isn't much of a question on how to sight read.. more of i just don't understand how you get better at it. I know to practice it, but the science part confuses me? Will it be the equivalent to learning a new technique or will my brain pick it up faster?

i base a lot of what i do on sciences so if anyone could explain that'd be fantastic

it's more like learning a language. to become fluent, read it on a regular basis. it takes awhile. Be patient and enjoy the process.
shred is gaudy music
sight reading on the piano will help with the guitar.
on the piano each pitch can only be played in one place whereas on the guitar you can play the same pitch in many places.
when you sight read your brain will be assessing:

rhtyhm
pitch
dynamics
random thoughts like what is for lunch.

so dedicate time to sight reading just the rhythm or pitch separately.

most importantly ...
relax.

try to warm up by visualizing, lie down take the weight off your head allow the tension out of your body , stretch . if you can approach your sight reading from a relaxed state of mind it will be more productive.

eat and sleep well too !!
alright well i'm learning the first position right now, my instructor gave me a book and i have to practice a couple of simple songs containing E F G, and B C D notes. He said don't go any further than that for like another 2 weeks or something. I'll see him next week though
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
alright well i'm learning the first position right now, my instructor gave me a book and i have to practice a couple of simple songs containing E F G, and B C D notes. He said don't go any further than that for like another 2 weeks or something. I'll see him next week though

There ya go. just work your way through the book with your teacher.
shred is gaudy music
Alright thanks, just wanted some info from people who already could sight read.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
I recommend that you focus a lot on rhythm reading in particular. For most, pitch reading comes easily over time but because of poor rhythm recognition they are unable to read music with any efficiency.
^+100. TS, as you progress, always try looking ahead as you'll give yourself more time to see what's coming.

Also, before I read a piece, I look at where the highest and lowest notes are in the score, the key etc, and then choose my position on the neck to play in.

I prefer to use scale shapes based on the CAGED system to find my way around, but everyone has their own way of doing it. That's just the way I was taught.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 29, 2011,
^+100 to you as well!

A big part of sight reading is to skim the score to find the highest and lowest notes, mark your shifts (once you're better at seeing where you will want to do them, at least), circle key and time signature changes, etc.

Circle and note any spots that look like they may cause you to stumble.