People are downloading music more and more these days, and I was wondering whether CD's will be stopped being made all together.

It's inevitable that the CD will be replaced by something but I was hoping it would be something you could physically go out and buy.

Nothing beats going out to your nearest music shop and quewing up to buy it on the first day it comes out. Now you'll just have to click 'download' off iTunes or get it off some illegal site (like most people).

Also what about epic album covers and the little booklets you get with them? Its much cooler to actually see it in the flesh.

My brain says no but the amount of pirated material on my computer says yes.
No way. CDs will last forever. I'll keep them right next to my VHS tapes.
PM me for newts
Yes. Most people won't even know realize they existed in the next ten years.

Cd racks have also been replaced by hard drives.
I hope not, but it's seeming that way

I love collecting CDs and singles, and so it frustrates me that all new singles are digital only.

If you want me to buy your music (if you're a new band), I expect to have physical copies. Not to sound mean, but it's the way it is. For bands like Paramore, not being able to get CD singles of Monster (although I have the Transformers soundtrack for this one) and Renegade for e.g. sucks... might just have to make a CD for myself with all 3 of the songs on it or something, and make myself some sort of covers for the case.

If it's a new band, I would probably stick with YouTube if there are no physical things to buy.
This will start a RIOT! in me
I only buy CDs, never download music, unless it's a random song I want.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Judging the fact that I've sold in the region of £30,000 worth of CD players in the past 4 months, from personal experience, I will say that CDs will continue being made..At least until.CD quality downloads become more mainstream.

I wouldn't think the average consumer buys CDs because of the slightly higher quality.
Yes, Vinyl will take over, called it.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Vinyl has been coming back for a while.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
there is something that beats going to a music shop to buy a CD and that's going to a music shop to buy a Vinyl I only need Vinyl and mp3s cause Vinyl is the best physical music experience if you get what I mean and mp3 is the most flexible easy method of listening. CDs are well sth in between :S
Not for me they aren't. I have just over 800 CDs on my wall, about 100 of them are ripped to my MP3 player but most of the time I'm listening to music I want to hear an album in it's entirety so I listen to the CD.

I never download, I always buy the CD and for the foreseeable future that will remain the case - even if I reach the point where the CD itself ends up only being used as a backup to the ripped version.

I don't believe CDs will ever die completely though - if you look at the technology which has evolved since them such as DVDs and Blue-ray you'll notice that they use the same general format and are backwards compatible with playing CDs.

There will also always be a need for a secure way of backup up PC data. CDs provide this so that's just another reason for them to stick around. There's a potential argument that memory sticks serve this purpose, but in my line of work they don't meet the security requirements as they can be re-written. The security of having a CD burnt which cannot possibly be overwritten is vital, so until something else can provide this CDs will still be needed.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by crazy8rgood
My brain says no but the amount of pirated material on my computer says yes.

amen to this
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
No I always buy disks and so do many people. Disks will never die out - it's as if people keep talking about it like they want it to die out. Dammit.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Not to sound hipster-ish, but for me their not.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
nah. i didn't go through the pain in the ass of getting all my tapes onto cds for nothing.
CDs will be replaced by something better eventually. However I fail to see what that something could be at the moment, so it will take a while.
ggg1 ggg3

CDs are still the most common medium for DJs, just putting that out there...
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Quote by blues_to_thrash
CDs are still the most common medium for DJs, just putting that out there...

True, never thought of that.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
When I release an album, it's most likely I'll request it to be mass-produced on vinyl. Sure, I'll sell a few CD copies, but I frown upon digital download.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Gabriel Fauré

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
embrace technology?

refusing to download anything is the same extremist attitude as refusing to ever buy a cd
First off, I can't stand CD's. Not because I don't like physical music (I love meh some vinyl) but just how easily damaged they are in relation to how disposable they feel. They get left freaking everywhere. On the table, under the car seat, on the ground, yeah.

Like I said vinyl is cool and amazing but I don't think it will ever replace the CD. Comeback this, comeback that, the truth is that average joe/jane sees a turntable as a relic from the past and nothing more. Sure, people who care about hearing their music in high-fidelity exist, but they almost certainly makes up a very small percentage of the population.

I think a cool industry replacement for the CD might be individual thumb drives packaged in artwork. That way you get the physical experience, fairly low price (mass-produced drives big enough to hold one album can cost next to nothing), a lot of car stereo systems have a usb drive, I don't know. It just seems like a good idea to me. Granted I haven't given it much thought. Anyone else have a second opinion on that? There's no way I'm the first person to have thought of that, lol
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
Last edited by lifesglorydead at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by lifesglorydead
I think a cool industry replacement for the CD might be individual thumb drives packaged in artwork. That way you get the physical experience, fairly low price (mass-produced drives big enough to hold one album can cost next to nothing), a lot of car stereo systems have a usb drive, I don't know. It just seems like a good idea to me. Granted I haven't given it much thought. Anyone else have a second opinion on that? There's no way I'm the first person to have thought of that, lol

I like it, but there will always be jackasses who refuse to ever pay for music, no matter how cheap it is.
PM me for newts
**** CDs vinyl is where it's at. Woo yeah, vinyl!!

And yes, I am a ludite, suck it.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Last edited by Hereiwas at Oct 29, 2011,
It's all good as long as there is a physical medium for the music, because I'm not paying shit for a download, if I pay for it I want something physical.
In a way I kind of do wish that people would get rid of them, but that's just so I could go to used stores and buy a shitton of them for a buck each.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
ITT: a bunch of butthurt luddites

making the neccessary transition from CDs to digital will reduce so much waste and production costs
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
It seems so. I used to buy at least two CD's a month. But I have since found Spotify. It is much cheaper and much more convenient. Instead of paying £20 odd for two CD's, I pay £4.99 for hundreds of thousands.

I would hate to see the CD go, but it's just the way things go.
Yup, what niche is left for it? People who value cover art, booklets, the nostalgic factor, etc. are better off collecting vinyl. And people who value convenience and affordability prefer downloading. Wave goodbye to your dying technology.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I agree with the flash drive idea. The reason many people (somewhat including me) aren't moving over to solely digital purchases is because very many still like having album booklets with accurate lyrics and high quality artwork. The way to please these people is to include a .pdf (or some other filetype) with the song downloads that has the booklet in it.
The flash drive idea is interesting, and I still haven't made it over to spotify to see what that's all about although it's all over Facebook these days. I like cd's and physically possessing the music, but in my area there are no music stores and the only cd's the local walmart carries are rap.
Spotify is the devil's tool.

When an artist sells a CD (even an album download) that artist receives a decent percentage of the money it sold for.

When that artist's album is played on spotify, the artist receives virtually nothing.

As musicians, surely you can all see that is a very bad thing?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Spotify is the devil's tool.

When an artist sells a CD (even an album download) that artist receives a decent percentage of the money it sold for.

When that artist's album is played on spotify, the artist receives virtually nothing.

As musicians, surely you can all see that is a very bad thing?

I can see your point, however, Spotify and CDs aren't mutually exclusive. I listen to a lot of stuff on Spotify, and buy a lot of CDs of bands i like, although there is no way i could afford to buy every album i listen to on Spotify. In my view, its a much better alternative to illegal downloads for people who cant afford to buy everything they want.