This is the last of the songs I've recorded over the past few weeks here for my new album. I wasn't huge on this song at first, as it was written and recorded in a single day, but I think it's definitely grown on me since.

Let me know what you think!

http://soundcloud.com/terethien/04-a-glimpse-of-a-dying-sun

And if you know me, you know I always do C4C!
That was really good! Pretty much everything i like about post-rock was there and it was done well. Impressed.
Metorical,
Nice intro synth(s). Pleasant intro guitar. Before 1:00, I felt it could use some vocals. Glad it changed at ~1:50. Lead guitar notes are good, though the amp sound could be better; I like the effects & dual guitars. Interesting guitar at ~3:20. Nice ending. For the most part, it sounds quite nice, though it seems it needs vocals. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490985
Last edited by aaron aardvark at Oct 29, 2011,
I really liked this one. Vocals would be nice, of course. My only complaint would be, for my taste, the drums seemed a little too...busy? Mainly in the first part of the song and again around 4:45. It sort of distracts me from the rest of it. But over all, really good and never got boring.
Quote by aaron aardvark
Metorical,
Nice intro synth(s). Pleasant intro guitar. Before 1:00, I felt it could use some vocals. Glad it changed at ~1:50. Lead guitar notes are good, though the amp sound could better; I like the effects & dual guitars. Interesting guitar at ~3:20. Nice ending. For the most part, it sounds quite nice, though it seems it needs vocals.

I've usually stayed away from changing the amp sounds as I record direct into an old BR-1180. Now that I think about it I could probably get a much better sound out of it if I did try some other amp patches...

As for vocals it's a touch call for me on this album. I envisioned it being entirely instrumental post-rock, but since then it's expanded to include a ton of prog-rock elements as well. So maybe vocals aren't entirely out of the question.

Quote by Elvin Presler
I really liked this one. Vocals would be nice, of course. My only complaint would be, for my taste, the drums seemed a little too...busy? Mainly in the first part of the song and again around 4:45. It sort of distracts me from the rest of it. But over all, really good and never got boring.

You aren't the first person to comment on the drums. I wonder if simply putting the drums a bit further back in the mix might help, as they are pretty loud in this song
Last edited by Metorical at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by Metorical
I wonder if simply putting the drums a bit further back in the mix might help, as they are pretty loud in this song

That's what I was thinking as I listened to it, at least in the 2 parts I mentioned. Can you tweak the volume or velocity of them in specific parts? That's what I did on mine, just reduced the velocity to about ~50% on the intro, then 75-90% in the heavy part.
Quote by Elvin Presler
That's what I was thinking as I listened to it, at least in the 2 parts I mentioned. Can you tweak the volume or velocity of them in specific parts? That's what I did on mine, just reduced the velocity to about ~50% on the intro, then 75-90% in the heavy part.

I think I can... And yep, just checked. I can change the volume for each individual hit. That's certainly something to keep in mind in the future
I do that as I make my drum beats. I'll try to think what a real drummer would be doing as I make it. So a kick drum beat would go like "BOOM....boom BOOM" and that first beat in the 2 fast ones would be lower because "he" is doing it quick, releasing it, then pounding the second one down. That is my thinking on it anyway. Hopefully it will result in a more convincing fake drummer.
reviewing as i listen

intro drums seem a little dry, and could be nicer a little back in the mix in general. maybe a bit more humanisation with different velocities in the faster hi-hat bits?

clean guitar tone is v. nice, wish it was ahead of the drums in the mix though

distortion comes in, sounds a bit too digital - was it done with amp simulation software? still, nice lead and rhythm below it

second distortion bit is cool, your tone suits it here, very spacey sound that i dig

next section goes back to feeling a bit too digital on the distortion again, but the note choices are all good

ending is nice, fades away smoothly without making me think i'm missing part of the song, i like that

definitely well written, just needs some work on the distortion tbh. cool stuff.
InfestedRabite:

I think the drums for all 5 of my songs will be seeing some changes over the next little bit, including some fine-tuning on the hi-hats. I'll have to do some serious work on the volume of many of the hits though, as the further back those drums are the less impact they have in certain sections.

And the rhythm distortion was a big problem for me in this song, I was really struggling to find a decent one that fit the song. All of the effects are created through an old rp-250 effects pedal that I've had for years, so there's definitely room for improvement in that area.

Thanks for the critique!
Reviewing as i listen... liking the synths in the intro. The drums don't really seem to fit in with the rest of it, at least at first. They sound obviously programmed, and very dry. Also a little high in the mix. I like the clean guitars, they sound nice. First distorted part sounds very post-rockish, it's cool. I've been liking the clean parts more in this song than the distortion parts overall, that might just be my musical preference though. It seems to end kind of stragely, I think everything should've kept going and fading out instead of just the synth.

Either way, cool song! Thanks for the crit
Definitely a huge God Is An Astronaut influence here. Not a bad thing! Sounds good. Pretty much whatever has been said has been said. Also, what program do you use for the drums?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Definitely a huge God Is An Astronaut influence here. Not a bad thing! Sounds good. Pretty much whatever has been said has been said. Also, what program do you use for the drums?

Hehehe yeah this is the most GIAA influenced song I've done for the album, that's for sure

I use Drumsite for the drums, I bought the most basic version of it for like $50 a few years ago, I think

Quote by -Blue-
Reviewing as i listen... liking the synths in the intro. The drums don't really seem to fit in with the rest of it, at least at first. They sound obviously programmed, and very dry. Also a little high in the mix. I like the clean guitars, they sound nice. First distorted part sounds very post-rockish, it's cool. I've been liking the clean parts more in this song than the distortion parts overall, that might just be my musical preference though. It seems to end kind of stragely, I think everything should've kept going and fading out instead of just the synth.

Either way, cool song! Thanks for the crit

The drums certainly are dry. I try to avoid throwing water on my instruments, doesn't usually end well

As for the end, the true 'end' is before it starts fading out. The last bit was just the intro copy-pasted to the end and reversed, just for that 'strange-sounding' effect.
Last edited by Metorical at Oct 31, 2011,