Hey Guys.
I was just wondering what would be the best amp to buy under 400$. Do we get any tube amps under 400$? I play really heavy stuff. I dont need a lot of volume. I need the sound of my guitar to stay above that of the drums. So can you guys suggest of few amps? Ill be using pedals along with it so its ok if the inbuilt distortion isnt that great.
Preferably a tube. And I live in India so consider that when you suggest an amp. The peavey 6505+ is too costly here. (1000$). Are the vox valvetronix good amps? And should I get a marshall MG100DFX head? Ive heard only bad stuff about marshalls mgs but is this one an exception? And If there are any tube amps under this price range, please let me know.
Regards, Amith.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
not sure if you can get a bugera they are relatively cheap
you can get a V22 for 300 here

or a peavey classic 30 used

not sure if you can find them in india but they are well worth the money

and just stay away from the mg
the vox one you mentioned is okay for practice and such but i wouldnt recomend it if youre gigging and such
Bugera's available here, but so far only the BC15 and the V5. Both are well under 300 dollars, the BC being 180.

Another fellow indian.

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/4-amplifiers/55-guitar-amplifiers/4447-laney-lc15r-15w-class-ab-valve-guitar-amplifier-with-reverb

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/4-amplifiers/55-guitar-amplifiers/7244-vox-valvetronix-vt40-40w-1x10-guitar-combo-amp

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/4-amplifiers/55-guitar-amplifiers/6056-vox-valvetronix-vt50-50w-1x12-guitar-combo-amplifier

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/4-amplifiers/55-guitar-amplifiers/6650-ibanez-tube-screamer-series-tsa15h-amp-head-and-half-stack

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/4-amplifiers/55-guitar-amplifiers/6714-peavey-valve-king-112-combo-50-watt-guitar-amplifier

Any one of these will take pedals fine. The 15 watt ones might not get pristine cleans at band volume though.

EDIT: Wait you play heavy stuff?

DUH

\Vypyr 75 or Vypyr Tube 60.
Recto model and 6505 models on the 60 absolutely kill.

Dont use pedals for high gain unless both the pedal and the amp are top notch.
Use the Vypyr. Or buy a POD HD and studio monitors or keyboard amp or something.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 29, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Bugera's available here, but so far only the BC15 and the V5. Both are well under 300 dollars, the BC being 180.

Another fellow indian.

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/4-amplifiers/55-guitar-amplifiers/4447-laney-lc15r-15w-class-ab-valve-guitar-amplifier-with-reverb

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/4-amplifiers/55-guitar-amplifiers/7244-vox-valvetronix-vt40-40w-1x10-guitar-combo-amp

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/4-amplifiers/55-guitar-amplifiers/6056-vox-valvetronix-vt50-50w-1x12-guitar-combo-amplifier

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/4-amplifiers/55-guitar-amplifiers/6650-ibanez-tube-screamer-series-tsa15h-amp-head-and-half-stack

http://www.bajaao.com/shop/4-amplifiers/55-guitar-amplifiers/6714-peavey-valve-king-112-combo-50-watt-guitar-amplifier

Any one of these will take pedals fine. The 15 watt ones might not get pristine cleans at band volume though.

EDIT: Wait you play heavy stuff?

DUH

\Vypyr 75 or Vypyr Tube 60.
Recto model and 6505 models on the 60 absolutely kill.

Dont use pedals for high gain unless both the pedal and the amp are top notch.
Use the Vypyr. Or buy a POD HD and studio monitors or keyboard amp or something.

Thanks Dude! Really appreciate the help!
See my budget is below 25k. And I think the TUBE 60 is a little outside it. Anyway, I own a vypyr 15 but it isnt that good. The distortion isnt amazing either. I think its my guitar because the vypyr sounds amazing on youtube. So I thought of changing pickups and lots of people in the GB&C forum were telling me not to because it wouldnt make a huge difference with a modeller. Does the 60 sound that great? Are you sure?

EDIT:Peavey Valve King looks amazing.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Oct 30, 2011,
^The VK is an average amp. It comes into its own when modded. And a tube 60 should be about 24?

And that is bullshit. Whether pups and guitar make a difference depends on the quality of the modeller. My H-51 and my MH100 have the same pickups, only difference is the wood. The H sounds much MUCH darker than my MH, with a lot less high end. This is through my RP500 and a POD X3. Does your Pacifica have single coils? If so, then thats the reason why it sounds less than amazing through your Vypyr.
TBH if you dont like the single coil sound, I say buy a GFS dual rail mini humbucker. Its about the cheapest way to get humbucker sound in a single coil size. If you can dwop your amp budget by about 5 thou, get one of those Seymour Duncan single coil sized humbuckers and replace your bridge with it, and get a Vypyr 75. IIRC the 75 is about 18 thousand?
Then later when you buy a better guitar, you alrady have a good pickup for it.
Thats about the best thing to do, as no amp is going to help you, not even a 4000 dollar Diezel if you dont like the tone of your pickup type in the first place.
Modding a VK 112 sounds like an idea. The main thing it needs is a speaker. I don't know how that would work out pricewise in India. Maybe grab a used one to mod
Maybe a used Vyper tube 60?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^You wont get too many techs to mod a VK. A Celestion V30 or an Emi Tonkerlite here would be about 120-150 dollars, so speaker isnt a problem.

Used market in India is bone dry. See my sig for what I compare it to

But the Tube 60 should be in TS's budget, 25,000 rupees is about 550-600 dollars.
I'd suggest blackstar HT-5, or Roland Cube 40-80XL. Cubes are solid states but they sound pretty good and have a hell of a lot amp models in them, with efx and such. And they have enough power to gig.
"You can't play fast unless you play slow"
A used Vypyr tube would be awesome. If you want to go all tube I really like the Jet City JCA20 but I don't know if it's in budget where you are.
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
I'd go for a Vypyr Tube 60 before an unmodded Valveking any day. You will need a ton of accessories and upgrades to really make it sound its best.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Originally Posted by GS LEAD 5
Does your Pacifica have single coils? If so, then thats the reason why it sounds less than amazing through your Vypyr?

It has two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge. I use the bridge for playing rock. The pickups on it are ALNICO IIs. I guess they arent made to play heavy stuff. My pickups are excellent in clean but suck with distortion. I really don't know why. Its too muddy and there isnt much quality. So I was thinking of popping in a DiMarzio D-Activator in the bridge position. But im not sure whether it'll sound good. It cost 5500 in Bajaao. Or I might get an SH-6/TB-6 which is 4700 in bajaao. So do you think it'll make a good difference? Because the distorted tone i get now is really bad. But, I played my Boss DS-1 through a guyatone solid state amp which is really awesome and it sounded better than vypyr. I played it using the same guitar. One more thing, my guitar has an agathis body so is that gonna affect the quality of the pickups in a bad way? The vypyr tube 60 looks promising. Is there a big difference in price between the Tube 60 and the 75? Should I change my stock bridge pickup?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Oct 30, 2011,
Quote by Supercolio
I'd suggest blackstar HT-5, or Roland Cube 40-80XL. Cubes are solid states but they sound pretty good and have a hell of a lot amp models in them, with efx and such. And they have enough power to gig.

Ht-5? He says he mainly wants something that will get over drums and you recommend a HT-5? Who's your drummer? Tinkerbell?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
1. IMO the tube 60 is way better than the 75.
2. Swapping the bridge pup for a D-Activator will make your tone clearer. Before you spend your money, though, I'd tweak all the knobs on my amp AND my guitar, but if you still can't get a non-muddy sound I'd swap the pickup.
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
Quote by amithkallupalam
Thanks for all the replies guys.

It has two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge. I use the bridge for playing rock. The pickups on it are ALNICO IIs. I guess they arent made to play heavy stuff. My pickups are excellent in clean but suck with distortion. I really don't know why. Its too muddy and there isnt much quality. So I was thinking of popping in a DiMarzio D-Activator in the bridge position. But im not sure whether it'll sound good. It cost 5500 in Bajaao. Or I might get an SH-6/TB-6 which is 4700 in bajaao. So do you think it'll make a good difference? Because the distorted tone i get now is really bad. But, I played my Boss DS-1 through a guyatone solid state amp which is really awesome and it sounded better than vypyr. I played it using the same guitar. One more thing, my guitar has an agathis body so is that gonna affect the quality of the pickups in a bad way? The vypyr tube 60 looks promising. Is there a big difference in price between the Tube 60 and the 75? Should I change my stock bridge pickup?

I think you need to learn how to EQ. Even a shitty pickup will sound decent through a good amp.

Try these settings-
All knobs on guitar maxed, Peavey 6505 model, Bass 5, Mids 8, Treble 7, Gain 3/10.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I think you need to learn how to EQ. Even a shitty pickup will sound decent through a good amp.

Try these settings-
All knobs on guitar maxed, Peavey 6505 model, Bass 5, Mids 8, Treble 7, Gain 3/10.

I dont get it. There are just 7 LEDs on the vypyr for each knob.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
The LED's change in brightness. 5/10 would mean the 4th led fully bright, while 4/10 would mean the 4th LED is about 80% bright while the 3rd is maybe 20% bright )as the 4/10 position would be in between the two LED's on a real amp knob)
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The LED's change in brightness. 5/10 would mean the 4th led fully bright, while 4/10 would mean the 4th LED is about 80% bright while the 3rd is maybe 20% bright )as the 4/10 position would be in between the two LED's on a real amp knob)

sounds pretty good. But it isnt as good as it is supposed to be.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Fiddle around. What does it lack? Want more bite? Boost treble. More bass? Boost bass.

Try a slight scoop-
Bass 6, Mids, 5, Treble 6

Also try this-

BMT 5 7 9

Also try the Recto model

BMT 4 7 6

Keep experimenting.

Try boosting the amp model with the TS9 model.
Diavlo used on sale sounds good with pedals

zt lunchbox with 1x12 tonkerlite pretty good for pedals also
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".