about an hour ago I flipped my sister's old acoustic from right handed to lefty so I can play it, everything seems fine with it except the low E string buzzes when I play it open sometimes. I'm not sure if it's because the guitar is old and cheap, or if it's because it's in open C 6th (which i doubt is the reason).

Any ideas on what I should do? I was thinking of putting a small shim under the nut near the string when I change them in a month or so.

Also, would a full sized acoustic fit in an electric guitar gig bag? I'm heading back to college in a few hours and can't find the acoustic case.

Thanks
Last edited by Green_Ghoul at Oct 29, 2011,
i think you need to get a new nut, the current one will have bigger grooves on one side than the other because it was intended to be righthanded.
and the second bit depends on the guitar and the bag, not all acoustic guitars are the same size, likewise for the bags
U need a new nut. Each groove fits a certian string. The low E will not fit the high E and vice versa wit the rest of the strings
i flipped the nut around though, so the grooves aren't a problem. maybe it's cus of how i chipped at it to take it out, it became uneven. how much do nuts cost for a lefty acoustic?
Quote by Green_Ghoul
i flipped the nut around though, so the grooves aren't a problem. maybe it's cus of how i chipped at it to take it out, it became uneven. how much do nuts cost for a lefty acoustic?

no idea, but it really won't be much; you have the internet at your disposal, google it
ok, they're pretty cheap. I dont' need one right away, everything is fine i just can't pluck the low E too hard otherwise it buzzes. but that's good because I want to be fluid in my finger picking, not rough and blghggh. I just need a gig bag or something for transferring the guitar from home to school.
Be awesome and just walk around with it without a bag! And drive the metro, bus etc. with it out, that's awesome =)
You'll need the bridge saddle too, they're usually sloped and they also sit at an angle for the intonation, actually you'll need a whole bridge, the slot for the saddle is cut into the bridge at an angle.
um...wtf......

i'm just gonna go the no bag route, it probably won't leave my dorm since i'm only using it to experiment with open tunings and obscure acoustic stuff.
Proper right to left hand flipping (and vice versa) is pretty difficult as the whole of the bridge needs to be flipped round, as the bridge is sloped for intonation. But if its just for messing round, it should be alright.
Fuck the system - Use non-standard tunings!

"Now the guitar is no more than a cowbell, so easy to play, that there is no stable lad who is not a musician on the guitar" Inquisitor Covarrubias 1611