Page 1 of 2
So Ive heard alot of stuff about avatar cabs, saying for the money they cant be beat, but Im curious as to how they stack up against well estabilshed cabs (ie mesa and orange, maybe even bogner) I ask this because I may have the chance to get a new cab soon and heres what Im thinking.

the orange 212 I played was nice, but I felt no reason to pay out 750+$ for one when I played it

Mesa recto 2x12 I beleive is the cab Im looking for but havent played it yet

avatar sounds awesome, and I hear good things, but I dont know how they stack up to an orange 212 which Id be going against.

the avatar I could get with V30s and/or K100s which is awesome, and it has stereo capabilities which might be useful later, but if its not on par with the other 2 im not gonna bother.

so any insight?
You can get a used Mesa 212 for about as much as a new Avatar 212, perhaps even less.

Avatars are great, mainly for the amount of customization you get with them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Avatars are good cabs. I don't have one myself (sadly), but I've heard them. I'd get one.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by Raijouta
You can get a used Mesa 212 for about as much as a new Avatar 212, perhaps even less.

Avatars are great, mainly for the amount of customization you get with them.

usually yea, theres only like 2 locally right now and theyre likem 650 each
Wow, where do you live? Around here Mesa 2x12s go for $250 - 400 all day.

I could get a Mesa 412 for $550 most times.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I paid $425 for mine new custom built with celestion speakers. Give Dave a call and talk it thru. I'd get a convertible back with their Hellatone speakers. I have no real experience with the mesa or orange other than they sound great
i have two orange 2x12" one Mesa 4x12" and one Avatar 4x12"

really they are all on about the same level.

if you want heavy tones, try a Vintage 30 with a K100. that is the best combination out there by far IMO (and i only use celestion speakers, not that i dont like others, its just they are more common to be scooped up cheap).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i think whitebox has some cheaper cabs but same great quality. a new 2x12 can be had for $399
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have two orange 2x12" one Mesa 4x12" and one Avatar 4x12"

really they are all on about the same level.

if you want heavy tones, try a Vintage 30 with a K100. that is the best combination out there by far IMO (and i only use celestion speakers, not that i dont like others, its just they are more common to be scooped up cheap).

this is what Ive been wanting to hear, something from someone whos owned an orange an avatar and a mesa.

and Im gonna ask in general I guess, but if i went avatar, should I get a Vintage 212 or contemporary 212? the speakers are gonna be a V30 and a K100 I think
I'd go for Whitebox if I was on a budget. They are meant to compete with the higher end cabs like you're looking at, at a cheap price. Avatars are meant to compete with mid ranged (Marshall) cabs on a budget. Whitebox are much better built and similarly priced.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd go for Whitebox if I was on a budget. They are meant to compete with the higher end cabs like you're looking at, at a cheap price. Avatars are meant to compete with mid ranged (Marshall) cabs on a budget. Whitebox are much better built and similarly priced.

This is the first I hear of this. Ive heard of whitebox before and have checked them out, but never heard enough to be convinced
Quote by Seanthesheep
Emporers are pretty expensive, arent they?.

That's what I thought too, then I emailed them.

Good people, great cabs... My 112 unloaded was $275.
Got my Avatar Contemporary 2x12 used, unloaded for $165. It's still unloaded, but it feels solid as hell. I'd be cool throwing it down the stairs....but that's just dumb.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by gregs1020
That's what I thought too, then I emailed them.

Good people, great cabs... My 112 unloaded was $275.

To be fair, $275 is still a bit expensive for a 112 without a speaker (definitely not at its quality, but when compared to other, more "budget" oriented companies, it is). At whitebox, you can get a loaded 2x12 for a little over $400, which is great for the quality you get.

That being said, my Emperor 4x12 is without a doubt the best sounding cab I've ever played through
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Seanthesheep
this is what Ive been wanting to hear, something from someone whos owned an orange an avatar and a mesa.

and Im gonna ask in general I guess, but if i went avatar, should I get a Vintage 212 or contemporary 212? the speakers are gonna be a V30 and a K100 I think

i would go contempary with avatar over vintage. thats just me though, kinda more a styliastic thing. i again highly recommend the K100 and V30 combo. some people praise their hellatones that they break in and resticker, but i haven't tried them, .

i have heard whitebox is nice. i have heard a lot of good things about them, but i tend to stick to the tryed and true.

again emperor is awesome, but $275 for an unloaded 1x12 is quite a bit.

i am starting to build my cabs now,and soon will be buying cabs with good speakers, for the speakers tt use in the cabs i build, and selling the cab empty.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
avatar is cool because theyre handmade USA and with all the customization..... i mean for a flat rate of $450 i can get a 2x12 with purple tolex and tweed grill cloth with orange piping with v30's
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
^Whitebox does custom too.

It honestly depends on if you want to spend the extra money or not. They are all good quality so really boils down to price and speakers IMO.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by EspTro
avatar is cool because theyre handmade USA and with all the customization..... i mean for a flat rate of $450 i can get a 2x12 with purple tolex and tweed grill cloth with orange piping with v30's

So are Whitebox.

Whitebox is owned by one of the co-owners of Jet City amps and was started as a company that would take on the boutique companies (Mills Acoustics, Port City, etc.), at a budget price. Avatar was meant to take on the more known companies (Marshall, Orange, etc.), at a budget price.

Whitebox 2x12s are 2 inches shorter than the Avatar Traditional, but also about an inch and a half deeper, for more bass response. The Avatar Contemporary is considerably larger, however. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you. However, the wood thickness on all Avatar cabs (even the Contemporary, which gives the illusion that it is thicker), is considerably smaller than what you'd find on other cabs. Last time I measured one, I remember it being around 1/2" thick, whereas most high-end cabs are 3/4", baltic birch (like the Whitebox).

Avatar make great cabs, don't get me wrong - But I have heard many claims of them falling apart on the road. I know that's not really a concern to most musicians on this forum, as their stuff is sitting at home in a controlled environment, but maybe it's just me... but I'd rather pay $20 more and get a cab that is built to last, no matter what I throw at it.

Plus, Whitebox cabs just look so much more classy
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The whitebox ones run cheaper than the Avatars too I believe, at least the contemporaries.

I can't wait to get mine whenever I get the damn monies.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
why is MC pushing whitebox so much?

and just did a check, a white box 212 is about 5 lbs lighter than an avatar.

whitebox is 550$ + shippng and taxes

avatar is around 500 even, with shipping in

I can get v30/k100 in both

the whitebox is about 0.7" thick

the avatar is about 0.6" thick

the avatar does not have casters, while the whitebox does

both have the option for mono/stereo jack panels.

Avatar has the option for a slip cover, whitebox doesnt

interal volume are as follows:

whitebox 212: about 7250 cubic inches

avatar Vintage 212: 8800 cubic inches

avatar Contemporary 212: about 9800 cubic inches.

so tell me UG, with all this in mind, which sounds best?
I bought my avatar 2x12 with v30s for $300 new it was there summer special deal theres pics in my profile.
There built very well, mine feels solid as brick never had any problems with it, you cant really compare them to mesa cabs lol, as for orange ive never played through one.

Just read your last post
Id go for the vintage 2x12!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Oct 31, 2011,
Quote by Seanthesheep
why is MC pushing whitebox so much?

and just did a check, a white box 212 is about 5 lbs lighter than an avatar.

whitebox is 550$ + shippng and taxes

avatar is around 500 even, with shipping in

I can get v30/k100 in both

the whitebox is about 0.7" thick

the avatar is about 0.6" thick

the avatar does not have casters, while the whitebox does

both have the option for mono/stereo jack panels.

Avatar has the option for a slip cover, whitebox doesnt

interal volume are as follows:

whitebox 212: about 7250 cubic inches

avatar Vintage 212: 8800 cubic inches

avatar Contemporary 212: about 9800 cubic inches.

so tell me UG, with all this in mind, which sounds best?

you are wrong. a whitebox 212 is $399-419 dollars. you might wanna check your prices first man.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by travs2448
you are wrong. a whitebox 212 is $399-419 dollars. you might wanna check your prices first man.

thats only if you get 2 V30's or 2 Eminence 1224 (or some thing ) They actually jack up the prices pretty fast when chosing speakers

I was going to buy a 2x12 with a Governor and a V12 and it was over $500 so I passed.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by travs2448

I just went on the site, built a cab the way I would want it and thats the price I got
Just checked again and it is $475 for the cabinet + S/H so like I said over $500
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Then why not go for the Avatar? They have a solid reputation for a reason...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
because im still not 100% sure they are on the same level as mesa and orange, and the next cab I buy has to be, because thats what the other guitarist of my band plays through.
So is this a competition to see who has the more "professional" or "authentic" gear?

Listen, all you need is a well constructed (Avatar fits that bill, and according to MC, so does White Box) cab. The speakers can be swapped around at anytime. Hell, if I were you, I'd buy the cab unloaded and then get the speakers second hand. 1. Because the shipping of the cab will be cheaper due to lighter weight and 2. because speakers are a hell of a lot cheaper second hand, and you can break even with them if you don't like em in order to fund new speakers.

In the end, it all comes down to how it sounds. As long as you have a solid amp, the cab isn't made from MDF/particle board and you have decent speakers, any amp will be fine.

Or, you could look for a Orange/Mesa/Emperor/etc. second hand for half- or less than half the price.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
In the end, it all comes down to how it sounds. As long as you have a solid amp, the cab isn't made from MDF/particle board and you have decent speakers, any amp will be fine.

This.

Quote by LaidBack
So is this a competition to see who has the more "professional" or "authentic" gear?

Not this.

sorry if it came off as the other way, I just mean I dont want to buy a cab now and say in 2 months, oh I shouldve spent the extra 100 or 200 for the orange or the emperor or whatever.

to me, its just whatever sounds best, and its hard to make that choice whenever you cant actually physically asess one or more of the options (ie Avatar, Whitebox)
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Oct 31, 2011,
Well to me, it sounds like you want to invest in a brand name cab, but your wallet is just saying, "No! Stop it! Just, no!"

For quality and customization on a budget, go Avatar or WB.

For a name brand you know can hold up, go used on a name brand. Sounds like you need to take a step back and reevaluate.

What's your rig and what amp are you going to be playing the cab through. Also what's your cab budget?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I think im saying this everyday, but I play a peavey 6534+.

and for me It isnt a big deal if I dont buy a brand name cab, but I want to know its on the level of sound quality of the brand name products. but at the same time, i dont want to spend over 600$.
Well for $600 you can get a Orange or Mesa second hand no problem. They are both WELL within your budget.

For something more personalized, then go with the smaller companies. I think now it's just up to you to decide which you want.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
thats not the original question though. I know that all these cabs can fall within my budget, thats why Im looking at them. and I do realize the diffeences between all these cabs on paper. but the reason I made this thread is to ask to see if the sound quality from Avatar on par with mesa and orange and such companies. I know I can get I can get a purple and white 212 with a V30 and K100 if I really wanted to from avatar, but thats not my question.

oh btw, a guy offered me his orange 212 today for 700, the mesa cabs here are also floating around for around 650$ stuff is overpriced for somereason in my area.
Fair enough, I suppose I sort of lost sight of the original question. If you feel that the stuff is overpriced, than the budget competitor is the way to go. Honestly, I feel the best way to know whether one is better than the other is just to try it. Who knows, you may get an Avatar and think it blows your buddy's Orange out of the water.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by MatrixClaw
To be fair, $275 is still a bit expensive for a 112 without a speaker (definitely not at its quality, but when compared to other, more "budget" oriented companies, it is). At whitebox, you can get a loaded 2x12 for a little over $400, which is great for the quality you get.

That being said, my Emperor 4x12 is without a doubt the best sounding cab I've ever played through

perception i guess. for the level of quality that you get with emperor i thought $275 was cheap for a new cab built to my preference considering the other options.

i mean "cheap" means different things to different people.

i'll post what a loaded 212 is, just emailed them. for grins.
Page 1 of 2