Ok i just bought myself a wondefully playing 1983 peavey mystic but the only problem is that the middle knob, i have no clue what its for but it is very loose and pops up... idk if it is like a switch for the pick ups or if it is just loose so i tried pulling it off and no matter what i do or how hard i try the thing wont come off!
Coil splitter maybe? Try the guitar through a clean channel and pop it up, see if the sound goes thinner.
It was my understanding that Peavey used blend pots on the tone knobs to go from split to humbucker. Someone might have switched one of the pots out and used a push/pull pot to switch. Take of the back cover and see what's in there.

My guess would be that it splits a humbucker.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Oct 29, 2011,
No they way they spilit it is if you turn both tone knobs down past seven, anyone have any idea to get this thing off? Is holding on tighter than a jew to... nevermind but i would like to get this off
it also has a hole in the site of the knob so it may require a screw to be taken out but im not sure
There is a set screw in that little hole on the side.

It probably has a standard key, as opposed to an allen.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by NewYngwie
i have a tine screw driver i tried but it was too big, so how would get it out?

With a smaller tiny screwdriver?
Buy a smaller screwdriver?

Or grow a pair and put your back into it?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Buy a smaller screwdriver?

Or grow a pair and put your back into it?

and how do you suppose i pull the knob off when a screw is going from it into another piece of metal? And even if i took the time to plant and grow some pairs, how would a fruit help me pull it off? Well unless its a pair with a uber tiny screwdiver then it should help
Quote by NewYngwie
and how do you suppose i pull the knob off when a screw is going from it into another piece of metal? And even if i took the time to plant and grow some pairs, how would a fruit help me pull it off? Well unless its a pair with a uber tiny screwdiver then it should help

umm a set screw just hold the knob on by pushing against the the part that covers the shaft. a pair (balls) is different than a pear (a fruit). dude what are you like 12 or something.
Quote by NewYngwie
No im just being a smart ass since im sick of all the rude comments

you wouldn't get so many if the maturity level of your threads was higher to begin with. you already have a bad rep so guys don't take you seriously.
Quote by NewYngwie
Ok i just bought myself a wondefully playing 1983 peavey mystic but the only problem is that the middle knob, i have no clue what its for but it is very loose and pops up... idk if it is like a switch for the pick ups or if it is just loose so i tried pulling it off and no matter what i do or how hard i try the thing wont come off!

1. use the correct sized screw driver or hex, or you will strip the screw.

2. dont yank on guitar parts unless you are prepared to replace those parts.

3. dont be a wise guy especially to members who give you correct answers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by monwobobbo
you wouldn't get so many if the maturity level of your threads was higher to begin with. you already have a bad rep so guys don't take you seriously.

first off, how is a thread about removing knobs from a guitar in any way not mature? And i have a bad rep because little kids get on here without their parents knowing and always critisize or bring up unneeded rude comments in my threads and im tired of it! I have to deal with enough stress that these little kids have no idea about and all they do is add to the already accumulated stress. I think all these little kids need to take a field trip over to some other forum and stop screwing up this one
Dude! I already told you how to get the thing off, you NEED a smaller screwdriver.

The more you respond to wind up comments the more you'll get wind up comments, now get a grip, get a smaller screwdriver and get the flippin knob off!
Quote by Twidler
Dude! I already told you how to get the thing off, you NEED a smaller screwdriver.

The more you respond to wind up comments the more you'll get wind up comments, now get a grip, get a smaller screwdriver and get the flippin knob off!

but im nearly legally blind so its hard to see what kind it takes, are they usually like a screw driver used for glasses?
The ones I have are all a flat blade screwdriver and i can get them fine with a 3mm tip. The other ones I've seen are allen key but I can't remember the size. Is there nobody around with better eyesight that could take a look for you?
Sadly no, i live by myself but i might walk it up to the vintage guitar closet where i bought it and hopefully they can fix it for me
Quote by NewYngwie
first off, how is a thread about removing knobs from a guitar in any way not mature? And i have a bad rep because little kids get on here without their parents knowing and always critisize or bring up unneeded rude comments in my threads and im tired of it! I have to deal with enough stress that these little kids have no idea about and all they do is add to the already accumulated stress. I think all these little kids need to take a field trip over to some other forum and stop screwing up this one

lets reread this response and see how it fairs on the maturity scale. if words on a page cause you stress then you take this shit way to serious. now you're going off on a rant about little kids but as far as i can tell you fit into that catagory yourself. you had another similar rant thread closed. if ou took the time to look at who is busting your balls you'd notice that they aren't kids at all.